ADVERTISEMENT

What are the odds Bluefield High WV doesn't win a title?

Fairlawncat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 24, 2018
A couple work buddies from Bluefield have told me as many as 8 kids from Graham (Bluefield, VA) may transfer to Bluefield High (Bluefield, WV).

With a talent pool already through the roof for an AA program in West Virginia and a school that seems to nearly always be in the mix for a state title and having won a ton of them in football, it's scary to think what that bunch will be on the field if they do have that many kids from Graham come across the border and play there.

I've been told one transfer will be the All American lineman from Graham. The problem with waiting and assuming football will be played in the spring is just that.....it's an assumption and a big assumption when considering the Virus, Vaccine possibilty, and the political ideology of the Virginia governor. Lots of stuff up in the air (no pun intended).

With the above written, there's no guarantee West VA will have football this spring, but it looks like they probably will. If that happens, I could see a couple from Narrows transferring to James Monroe, Gate City kids transferring to some of the Sullivan County, TN, schools, etc. Take a kid like the All American at Ridgeview which sets close to the Kentucky border. Is this kid just going to not play? Pike County and Letcher County are close by.

I suspect there will be quite a few kids along the borders to transfer IF those bordering states play football. I also suspect it will be some of the best players on their respective teams.

As for Bluefield High, WV, I'm not taking the field. I'm taking them to win another WV state title in their storied history.

I live in West Virginia and would say they would be a runner up. Fred Simon manages to do less with more and outside of their QB I can’t think of a notable skill player returning for them even though they do have some kids that have been waiting for their turn.

I live in West Virginia and would say they would be a runner up. Fred Simon manages to do less with more and outside of their QB I can’t think of a notable skill player returning for them even though they do have some kids that have been waiting for their turn.

I don't know what the Beavers return, bit I can assure of this. They usually reload. Simon is a fantastic coach, but I disagree on one thing. They don't do more with less. They do more with more.

I dont like when kids transfer, but this is a situation that it makes perfect sense to transfer out. Only issue is I don't think they can transfer back and play another sport at the original school for a calendar year. Could someone verify?

I dont like when kids transfer, but this is a situation that it makes perfect sense to transfer out. Only issue is I don't think they can transfer back and play another sport at the original school for a calendar year. Could someone verify?
I'm sure that all of the other WV schools on Bluefield's schedule will be closely looking at any transfers to make sure that it was done with the required physical move. I think they can transfer back one time, but if it happens again then they lose eligibility. But any move has to be accompanied by a physical household move.

I don't know what the Beavers return, bit I can assure of this. They usually reload. Simon is a fantastic coach, but I disagree on one thing. They don't do more with less. They do more with more.
I’ve watched Bluefield play multiple times and with all the D1 talent they have, it’s crazy they only have won 1 state championship this past decade. If you watched last years state championship game where they lost they got beat by a team that only ran two plays. Simon should have at least four state championships with the talent they get.

No truth to the rumor of 8 players transferring. I have heard of possibly 1 and not the one you mentioned. No guarantee that WV will play either. It sounds like they wanna play come hail or high water. But cases in WV are rising. I guess that we shall see. I live here on the state line and there is also a little concern that some Bluefield players may transfer to Graham because of virus concerns and to get seen by scouts in the spring. 2 sides to the coin, I guess, but 99 percent of all of that is just people talking.

Last edited:
I’ve watched Bluefield play multiple times and with all the D1 talent they have, it’s crazy they only have won 1 state championship this past decade. If you watched last years state championship game where they lost they got beat by a team that only ran two plays. Simon should have at least four state championships with the talent they get.
You are right, he should have more than 4 state titles... He has 5, in 11 championship appearances. Im sure you mean in the past decade, but I disagree. Last year, they got manhandled at the line of scrimmage and some may have seen that coming their line was the big question mark all year last season and they got handled against a more physical team. Bridgeport ran that stacked I to perfection.

With Adkins (Ridgeview), there were a lot of rumors even before COVID that he may transfer to Pikeville (dominant 1A program in Kentucky). Those rumors eventually flamed out I reckon, but if KHSAA decides to play in the fall, he may consider it, who knows?

19GHS87, it makes since that there's no truth to that rumor. I questioned it when I heard it. 8 is a LOT! I have never been a fan of the whole High School Transfer thing, but like one poster mentioned, in this particular case, I guess I would be for it if the opportunity were possible and I knew my kid was safe.

I would like to see all states make more use of the COVID antibody test. I had a cold in early March after traveling with my wife to Chicago on a visit to see a dying relative. My wife had no cold, nothing. Well, last week we took a COVID Antibody test which will tell you IF you had Covid-19 in the past and it tells you if you are currently immune to it. Low and behold, my wife and I both tested positive for the antibodies. We were/are elated to have that news.

I understand the research still isn't clear on how long you have immunity after you have had the C-19 virus, but for us, we would have had it in early March and as of July 6, my wife and I still have the antibodies which signals a resistance to contracting the virus. I would like to see all states and even anyone reading this to consider getting the antibody test of you feel you might have had the virus in the past, or even for a piece of mind. Ours cost 100 bucks each, but to tell you the truth, getting a result of positive antibodies actually put us at ease and have us a piece of mind. What I'm getting at is, there are lots of people out there worried about the C-19 and many have already had it and have an immunity to it, or at least some immunity to getting it again, and they don't even know it, and there is a test out there that can tell you that, but unlike the actual Covid-19 test which is free or very cheap and tells you if you currently have the virus, the COVID antibody test is not free and it costs around 100 bucks and will tell you if you had the virus in the past and whether you have current immunity to the virus (almost like getting a vaccine).

Last of all, the COVID 19 Antibody test can be ordered by you and you do not need a doctor's order. You don't need to see your doctor for a referral. You go online, search for COVID antibody test, pay the 100 bucks, go directly to the lab for a blood draw, and you get your results in 2-3 days.

Last edited:
Reactions: aw19752
19GHS87, it makes since that there's no truth to that rumor. I questioned it when I heard it. 8 is a LOT! I have never been a fan of the whole High School Transfer thing, but like one poster mentioned, in this particular case, I guess I would be for it if the opportunity were possible and I knew my kid was safe.

I would like to see all states make more use of the COVID antibody test. I had a cold in early March after traveling with my wife to Chicago on a visit to see a dying relative. My wife had no cold, nothing. Well, last week we took a COVID Antibody test which will tell you IF you had Covid-19 in the past and it tells you if you are currently immune to it. Low and behold, my wife and I both tested positive for the antibodies. We were/are elated to have that news.

I understand the research still isn't clear on how long you have immunity after you have had the C-19 virus, but for us, we would have had it in early March and as of July 6, my wife and I still have the antibodies which signals a resistance to contracting the virus. I would like to see all states and even anyone reading this to consider getting the antibody test of you feel you might have had the virus in the past, or even for a piece of mind. Ours cost 100 bucks each, but to tell you the truth, getting a result of positive antibodies actually put us at ease and have us a piece of mind. What I'm getting at is, there are lots of people out there worried about the C-19 and many have already had it and have an immunity to it, or at least some immunity to getting it again, and they don't even know it, and there is a test out there that can tell you that, but unlike the actual Covid-19 test which is free or very cheap and tells you if you currently have the virus, the COVID antibody test is not free and it costs around 100 bucks and will tell you if you had the virus in the past and whether you have current immunity to the virus (almost like getting a vaccine).

Last of all, the COVID 19 Antibody test can be ordered by you and you do not need a doctor's order. You don't need to see your doctor for a referral. You go online, search for COVID antibody test, pay the 100 bucks, go directly to the lab for a blood draw, and you get your results in 2-3 days.
My company paid for it for all employees. I took the test last Friday and got back the results Sunday. Negative, but I rarely get sick anyway.

Fairlawn, if the VHSL comes out in a couple of weeks and says no football at all, then you may see a few transfer over. I think a lot rides on that decision for the border athletes. Couldn't really blame them, especially if they are seniors. I would expect Bluefield to gain a few players and not just Graham players I think its a little easier to transfer to WV to play then it is to transfer to VA. Bluefield lost a ton last year and their 4 star athlete moved to California. Graham lost a lot too, but I would bet on Graham over Bluefield this year and definitely next based on what they were returning. Im hoping for WV to change plans and both teams playing in the spring. Who knows what will happen. Wouldnt surprise me if neither state played at all either.

Fairlawn, if the VHSL comes out in a couple of weeks and says no football at all, then you may see a few transfer over. I think a lot rides on that decision for the border athletes. Couldn't really blame them, especially if they are seniors. I would expect Bluefield to gain a few players and not just Graham players I think its a little easier to transfer to WV to play then it is to transfer to VA. Bluefield lost a ton last year and their 4 star athlete moved to California. Graham lost a lot too, but I would bet on Graham over Bluefield this year and definitely next based on what they were returning. Im hoping for WV to change plans and both teams playing in the spring. Who knows what will happen. Wouldnt surprise me if neither state played at all either.

GHS, is that the Johnson kid, defensive back? Huge loss for the Beavers.

Reactions: 19GHS87
GHS, is that the Johnson kid, defensive back? Huge loss for the Beavers.
Yes. He was reported to be headed to IMG. He is moving to California, howevee. Article in the paper insinuated that he had issues with the coaching staff at Bluefield.

Bluefield lost every one of their 5- D1 recruits. They lost a LOT. They usually have plenty of depth, but still will be a big dropoff. They may get a player or 2 to cross the state line, if football is played in WV this fall.

Also, does anybody have a revised schedule for Bluefield? They lost 4-Virginia opponents and are down to 6 opponents. It is always hard for them to find an opponent on the WV side. Nobody in the area wants to play them. I checked the WVSSAC website and it still has their old schedule with the Virginia opponents.

With Adkins (Ridgeview), there were a lot of rumors even before COVID that he may transfer to Pikeville (dominant 1A program in Kentucky). Those rumors eventually flamed out I reckon, but if KHSAA decides to play in the fall, he may consider it, who knows?

https://www.timesnews.net/sports/ri...cle_9f7c6e52-d1d3-11ea-84d3-e3e99c68402c.html

Looking like Adkins will transfer to Pikeville or Dobyns-Bennett (Tennessee). If he wants a ring, then Pikeville would be the guaranteed spot as Pikeville will win one with or without him.

Hoping he chooses D-B though as that's who I follow on the Tennessee side. Can a difference maker like Adkins be the difference in competing with the likes of powerhouses like Maryville and Oakland in 6A? Still kind of a tall task.

An update to the # of transfers for Bluefield. As of now, none of Graham's players have transferred to Bluefield. There has been a rumor of 1 player from another school nearby transferring, but have not gotten any confirmation on that. I don't think it would be a good move on the part of that player anyway, Bluefield lost 5 D-1 players from last year's team including the #2 cornerback prospect in the nation (4 star athlete) due to transferring to a school in California. Bluefield will be way down, if they get a full season in. One positive for them is with the loss of Graham, Tazewell, Richlands and Lord Botetourt, there schedule got significantly easier. They did pick up Parkersburg, WV. Playing Princeton twice, so the JV will get plenty of playing time. I suspect the season will be disrupted quite a bit statewide in West Virginia with this "color coded" system in place. Once kids get in school and the # of cases continue to rise, I don't see a whole lot of football being played in WV. Virginia may have actually called it right on this. Of course, it's Virginia, and the Virginia kids may not play in the spring either.

Speaking of Bluefield I saw on Twitter that Bluefield State will be resurrecting football in 2021.

Just read on SWVA Sports website that a kid from Richlands transferred to Bluefield, WV, and the poster said his last name was Webb. I'm assuming he's referring to Richlands talented star Sage Webb. Any truth to this? Was the poster joking, tongue in cheek, or serious?

This was the one kid I was hinting around at earlier Yes, very talented player from Richlands has an offer from Morgan State and probably more offers to come. Great speed and athleticism, a little undersized. Bluefield needs about 5 more of him to come close to replacing what they lost from last season but still have a lot of talent. Lineplay will be huge for them this year. They have good skill players, just not the likes of JJ Davis and J'Heim House. Losing Sean Martin and Isaiah Johnson on defense ia a huge loss too. 3 of those 4 went D1, the others a rising Senior who transferred to a school in California as the #2 cornerback recruit in the country. They also lost their kicker who went D1. Huge holes to fill for Bluefield. They will be quick, athletic but small at skill positions. Lineplay will be key. QB is good and gets rid of the ball quick. The line will need to give him time. I see Webb being targeted a lot in the passing game.

After watching Bluefield squeak by perennial cellar dweller Princeton 15-13 last night. I would say the odds are pretty close to 100 percent that Bluefield does not win a title this year.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
After watching Bluefield squeak by perennial cellar dweller Princeton 15-13 last night. I would say the odds are pretty close to 100 percent that Bluefield does not win a title this year.

Man, u got that right GHS. I was really surprised to see a Bluefield team look like that. I guess it's youth, first game without a scrimmage, no fans, Princeton's improvement, and all that contributed. I would agree that this team isn't getting near a state title.

A couple work buddies from Bluefield have told me as many as 8 kids from Graham (Bluefield, VA) may transfer to Bluefield High (Bluefield, WV).

With a talent pool already through the roof for an AA program in West Virginia and a school that seems to nearly always be in the mix for a state title and having won a ton of them in football, it's scary to think what that bunch will be on the field if they do have that many kids from Graham come across the border and play there.

I've been told one transfer will be the All American lineman from Graham. The problem with waiting and assuming football will be played in the spring is just that.....it's an assumption and a big assumption when considering the Virus, Vaccine possibilty, and the political ideology of the Virginia governor. Lots of stuff up in the air (no pun intended).

With the above written, there's no guarantee West VA will have football this spring, but it looks like they probably will. If that happens, I could see a couple from Narrows transferring to James Monroe, Gate City kids transferring to some of the Sullivan County, TN, schools, etc. Take a kid like the All American at Ridgeview which sets close to the Kentucky border. Is this kid just going to not play? Pike County and Letcher County are close by.

I suspect there will be quite a few kids along the borders to transfer IF those bordering states play football. I also suspect it will be some of the best players on their respective teams.

As for Bluefield High, WV, I'm not taking the field. I'm taking them to win another WV state title in their storied history.
I guess they really needed those 8 transfers?

Not being a Homer, Graham lost quite a bit too. But, I believe Graham would have soundly defeated Bluefield this year. Bradshaw would have been the difference maker. I think Tazewell and Richlands would have beaten them too. But, games are played on the field, not in my imagination. Bluefield is young and you can see the talent in those young kids. They are just smaller and a step slower than Bluefield teams in the past. In a couple years, they will be right back at the top again. A lot of athleticism in that young group. I am anxious to see Graham play this spring (hopefully). I think Bradshaw will have a breakout year. He is a special player.

19GHS87, Bradshaw it could be argued had a breakout year last year during his sophomore season. He was first team all state, but I guess it would be considered more of a breakout year if he didn't have so many holding calls/blocking penalty calls on Graham when he scored so many touchdowns. I guess the VHSL doesn't keep stats or records on how many TD's a player has called back in a season, but if they did, I think he would be in the mix for that record from what I've heard. Is it true he had something like 10 called back from game one through the state semi game?

19GHS87, Bradshaw it could be argued had a breakout year last year during his sophomore season. He was first team all state, but I guess it would be considered more of a breakout year if he didn't have so many holding calls/blocking penalty calls on Graham when he scored so many touchdowns. I guess the VHSL doesn't keep stats or records on how many TD's a player has called back in a season, but if they did, I think he would be in the mix for that record from what I've heard. Is it true he had something like 10 called back from game one through the state semi game?
I would say about 10. Seemed more like 12 or 13. Including a huge penalty in the state semis. He is quick as lightning and getting stronger by the day. He will be a hi-light reel these next 2 seasons (if they are allowed to play.)

I would say about 10. Seemed more like 12 or 13. Including a huge penalty in the state semis. He is quick as lightning and getting stronger by the day. He will be a hi-light reel these next 2 seasons (if they are allowed to play.)
Just watched that semi final game the other day. He is for sure a special player.

Hoping they get to play. I wanted to see my son get to play his senior year.

Well, I started this thread back in July and after game one looking at the Beavers against Princeton in September, the loss of 4 or 5 Div 1 players from last year, and a ton of youth, it looked like the Beavers weren't getting close to a state title this year. Well, they got close. Bluefield lost 21-19 today to Fairmont in the WV AA state semi's. Kind of. Based on Covid Mapping and rules, etc, it looks like West Virginia considered this game played today as the state title game because the other semi game can't be played due to Covid (if I'm reading it correctly). Because of that, it looks like West Virginia will declare Fairmont the state title winner, but the Bluefield Beavers were within only 2 points of winning the thing. I echoed this in July. It seems like even when they are supposed to be down, the Bluefield Beavers are never really down.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT