ADVERTISEMENT

What changes is the NFHS looking at for the 2021 season?

No Idea. I've been in contact with two members of the NFHS committee and as of our last correspndence they are not certain when or if there will be a meeting in 2021.
The question I had was whether states that play after the new rules are posted, (Usually in February) will have to use the new rules or not.

I just hope we will be in a position to have a season.

We received a 2020 NFHS Rules Book. I'm 100% sure those are the rules we will officiate in NC.

I would be surprised if there are any rule changes for 2021 or if they'll even meet.

Logic would dictate that they just leaving things as they are, barring something that makes a significant impact on player safety.

Every organization, association, and school system is so imcumbered with day to day trials and tribulations, that adding anything unnecessary to their burden would not be received well.

Here's wishing you guys a Merry Christmas, and it goes without saying, a much better year in 2021.

Ok gang, since a little time has passed, what is the latest on changes or emphasis of the rules by the NFHS for the upcoming season?

Has the shortage of officials reached the crisis state? What happens if there are simply not enough officials to cover all of the games? What is the minimum number of officials that are required to officiate a varsity game? Is this minimum number established by the NFHS/VHSL?

Would not suprise me at all if a lot of high school games in all sports are cancelled or postponed because of the lack of officials. No younger people want to fool with officiating. The time it takes and the low pay, Then the abuse from everyone involved has created an atmosphere where no one wants to even give officiating a try,

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Well, I don't have my new Rules Book but I know the only actual change was to the blocking below the waist rule Blocking below the waist (called cut blocks, NOT chop blocks, those are different and ALWAYS illegal) is legal in the free blocking zone and immediately after the snap. That means the lineman who cuts must do so Immediately at the snap, with no delay. The change is that is was legal to cut as long as the ball was still in the free blocking zone.

It's easy to get lost in the weeds of free blocking zones and all that stuff, but suffice to say the change is to an element of timing and that's all.

The points of emphasis are two things that need emphasized in the era of the RPO, but I haven't seen the final wording. They are intentional grounding and ineligible player downfield.

There are too many RPOs where linemen are going down to block, then the passer decides to throw after the linemen are well past the neutral zone. This is harder to call than you might think. My crew had at least 10 last season and I know we missed a couple. Some crews said they never saw it. I have a hard time thinking it never happened in their games.

Regarding numbers, it remains to be seen but it's not looking good, especially long term. Associations in the state are using anywhere from 4 to 7 officials on a varsity game. Obviously, the areas where 7 are used had ok numbers for now, but i know Northern Virginia, where the schools are bigger and, in theory (and probably reality) the teams are better, the number of officials has dropped to points where only four guys are on the field for some games. I don't know how this is possiblein today's game. Not sure if those are covid numbers that will rebound or not.

The pay is ok if you look at $$/hr only counting the hours from kickoff to 0:00. But we all know there is a lot more to it than that.

Getting new recruits is hard but keeping them is even harder. It seems there is an effort of youth coaches and parents to run off guys who are out there trying to learn to be officials and serve the game. If that's what they're trying to do, they're doing a good job.

I've been doing this more than 30 years and at the end of 2019, for the first time, I really wondered if it was worth continuing. In fact, there was a varsity game this past season, in April, where I just said if there are many more games like this, forget it, I'm done. That was entirely because of coaches and fan behavior. The kids were great,but it was a miserable experience.

Schools do not want to pay more,(because they're not rolling in cash, I know) but simple economics says that at some point if something is not done to make officiating the game worth the effort, no one is going to do it. Then what?

Last edited:
White Hat, true fans appreciate what you do and understand that you are human. The casual fan, or arm chair QB, think they know the rules but often confuse the rules between college, pro, and high school (yes, I know I am preaching to the choir). Thank you for coming out night after night to allow the kids a chance to play. I have worked the sidelines as a volunteer for hundreds of games, and admit I miss a lot of things the officials see or I think a call was wrong then later realize my understanding of the rules was incorrect. It is not an easy job, but one every official does for the love of the game and the sake of the kids.

Perhaps the NFHS needs to look at allowing officials more leeway in assessing penalties for coaches - and fans - who go over board? That might be a start to addressing the hostile atmosphere you sometimes have to work in.

Ok gang, since a little time has passed, what is the latest on changes or emphasis of the rules by the NFHS for the upcoming season?

Has the shortage of officials reached the crisis state? What happens if there are simply not enough officials to cover all of the games? What is the minimum number of officials that are required to officiate a varsity game? Is this minimum number established by the NFHS/VHSL?
Heard today that a veteran official in our area went to umpire a softball game while using a cane to get around. Was a huge shortage of baseball and softball officials in the Lynchburg area.

Heard today that a veteran official in our area went to umpire a softball game while using a cane to get around. Was a huge shortage of baseball and softball officials in the Lynchburg area.
Bless his heart. That is typical of old, veteran officials.

Reactions: bowlingref
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT