ADVERTISEMENT

What not to say to an official -- the 3 P's

White hat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 17, 2001
I know the expression all too well. A coach is flagged for something he said and he wants to appeal to me because "I didn't cuss him."

This is more prevelant in lower levels, especailly young guys coaching their first teams in middle school or even volunteer dads coaching rec leagues.

There is an idea that cussing will get you flagged. No cussing, no flag.

It doesn't work that way.

What I'm going to say here is, officially, my own opinion. It's not written in a book anywhere but it is discussed. It's a good guideline for officials and something more coaches should know.

There are three things that can get you flagged -- all start with P. In reverse order:

3. Persisitence. This means a coach is not happy about a call and wants to keep on whining about it. I'll listen to a little bit. If it's mentioned after the next play, I'll suggest we all move on with the game. If I keep heaing about it, then I'm going to flag it, depending on how it's presented. Angry roaring after a couple suggestions to cool it will get a flag. Quiet chirping might take longer, but eventually there is a line where we've heard all we need to hear.

2. Profanity. Everyone thinks this is #1, but it's #2 for most of us. We are adults and we live in a world where profanity exists. Part of having a thick skin is hearing a swear word now and then without freaking out. I can hear prfanity without reaching for my flag. Again, it all depends on how it's said. If grandma with bad hearing aids in the top row has no trouble hearing it, I'm sure it's going to draw a flag. Profanity directed toward an official in anger isn't going to be tolerated, there are times when we can deal with it. It's not automatic.

1. Personal. This is the one that is an absolute no-no. Name-calling or implying that there is dishonesty or favoritism will not be tolerated.

Officiating is not a personal endeavor, it's a job. Not a single decision I make is based on a personal issue. I understand that there are going to be calls that people don't like. There might even be calls that are wrong, without debate. But none of those calls is ever made to intentionally hose a team or player. Sometimes it's comforting, in an odd way, to believe that there is dishonesty afoot, rather than just simply a call going the other way. People seem to think that the official saw the play the way they saw it, but chose to call it differently simply because of some desire to hose their team.

No one is out there to cheat kids playing a game. That's just ignorant. It requires too much work and effort to get out there for some motive other than love of the game. There's no way anyone would go through all this on the off chance that they would end up in a position to screw over some kids.

If coaches disagree with a call, that's fine. If they say the call sucks, that doesn't bother me. When the coach says the official sucks, I've got a problem, but I know how to fix it. I've flagged a coach for calling one of my crew mates "sorry and worthless." That's personal. I'm not having it.

As long as you have been at it, I'm sure you have a number of coaches you have a good natured fun with along the sidelines? I've seen a few interactions that I know was just good natured needling. I also assume you have to be discrete, or the other side thinks you are getting too chummy with a coach.

The NCHSAA has dropped the hammer in NC. Last year was the worst I've ever seen with regard to fan, player and coach conduct. Evidently the powers that be agree with me.

This year, in all sports, we have a zero tolerance policy for unsporting behavior. For example:

• Inappropriate language/profanity
– Unsporting foul on the team bench – charged to the Head Coach
– If directed at an official – immediate ejection and a 2-game sanction

• Assistant coaches contesting calls
– Unsporting foul on the team bench
– Charged to the Head Coach
– 1 of 2 unsporting fouls charged to the Head Coach
– On 2nd offense, Head Coach is ejected

• Any coach/non-player coming onto the playing field to contest a call
– Automatic unsporting foul charged to coach/player
– 1 of 2 allowed for game disqualification
– Will also apply to baseball coaches who will not be allowed to come onto the field to argue a call

• Any player displaying verbal or physical dissent to an official
– Unsporting 15-yard penalty
– 1 of 2 allowed for game disqualification

• Any physical or verbal display in a negative/demonstrative manner by school administrator
– Stop game and warn
– 2nd offense – Game suspended until administrator leaves the area

We'll see how quickly people adjust.

Last edited:
I support this emphasis 100%, with one caveat. The officials have to be slow on the flag to be sure is not just a "heat of the moment" reaction, where the player or coach is actually saying, "what the hell was that for".

For instance, a kid gets called for something, and he reacts with disgust, AT HIS MISTAKE. Easy to think it's meant to be a reaction to being called. Or a coach is mad because a call just cost them. He isn't made about the call, just that it happened, and aggressively walks out to ask the official, what the hell happened? In the exuberance to enforce these rules, especially early in the season, a quick flag may not be what is best for the game.

Just thoughts coming from a bleacher bum, not meant to argue the rules.

Part of learning how to be a good official is learning how to distinguish (and ignore) reactions of anger directed inward and reactions of beligerance. Honestly, this basically goes back to how a coach or player acts leading up to the incident. A player or coach who is focused on the game and their own performance can make a mistake that causes a flag and react in anger, but it would be entirely consistent to think that's anger at themselves.

By the same token, someone who is barking at the officials all game and has nothing to say but complaints will seem to be repeating that message if he's flagged and acts out in anger. There will be a lot less leeway in that situation.

Still, I think most officials will not be in any hurry to throw a second flag.

Last edited:
I support this emphasis 100%, with one caveat. The officials have to be slow on the flag to be sure is not just a "heat of the moment" reaction, where the player or coach is actually saying, "what the hell was that for".

For instance, a kid gets called for something, and he reacts with disgust, AT HIS MISTAKE. Easy to think it's meant to be a reaction to being called. Or a coach is mad because a call just cost them. He isn't made about the call, just that it happened, and aggressively walks out to ask the official, what the hell happened? In the exuberance to enforce these rules, especially early in the season, a quick flag may not be what is best for the game.

Just thoughts coming from a bleacher bum, not meant to argue the rules.

Only that's not how we've been told to enforce it. The flag is for inappropriate language or profanity, It doesn't have to be directed at an official. If it;s audible to grandma in the front row with a hearing aid, it's a flag. That includes coaches cursing their own players during a timeout huddle.

Football is a sport where we've always tended to ignore profanity. But it wouldn't be allowed in a classroom, so it's not going to be allowed in the football field. So if you know a VA team that's traveling south to NC this year, make them aware.

I haven't noticed the decline of behavior among coaches in high school or middle school. It's been years since I had any issue there.

It's the rec leagues where things have gone off the rails. Some guys are great. It's easy to identify the guys who love football and coach rec football as a way of teaching kids the game. I have the utmost respect for those guys.

But there are enough complete jerks now that I'm done with rec football. I worked rec ball when I was getting started in this business 25 years ago and gave it up for several years, then went back when my son played middle school and JV ball, so I would only do varsity games. One game a week wasn't enough, so I started back in rec ball.

I'm done with that nonsense. The coaches there are far worse than they were in the 1990s.

We used to send young officials there to learn the game, but now we don't because the coaches and fans try to run them off (and often succeed), leading us to a critical shortage of officials.

I don't know what's going to happen with rec football, but I don't receommend anyone who is serious about officiating to go anywhere near it.

Wow, a strong indictment.

I went to a few rec league games last year, (in support of a young fellow that my sister used to keep). Fortunately, I didn't see any issues of disrespectful behavior from anyone. But, I know what you are saying. Didn't they have huge problems last year with the rec league in Roanoke? But, I think that was primarily with some of the fans getting stupid, and screaming at the kids, coaches, and other fans. Not necessarily directed at the officials. (And, I believe that alcohol may have been involved?)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT