ADVERTISEMENT

What route did Tazewell folks travel?

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
A bit early I know but since Riverheads will travel to Tazewell in the fall, I was just curious as to how long the trip was and what route most of their fans used? I am asking because when you look it up in an atlas there appear to be about three pretty even options.

I took 460 to Bluefield, WV, then 77 to Wytheville & 81 the rest of the way.

I know a lot of people took 77 north to Beckley, WV to get onto 64 then 81. I believe that may be a few minutes faster but that costs you about $10 in tolls round trip. The WV turnpike can be a little dangerous at times as well.

You could also get off 81 in Christiansburg, get on 460 to Blacksburg then stay 460 the entire way to Tazewell. That’s the more scenic route that will take you by Virginia Tech, through Giles County to Princeton, WV. Then it’s about a 45 minute drive through Bluefield, WV, Bluefield, VA before you come into Tazewell. That way will take a little longer & you have to deal with the Giles County speed traps (Narrows especially).

if you want to make a unforgettable trip then stay on 81 all the way to Marion, get off there and take route 16 toTazewell. You’ll drive through Hungry Mother State Park before crossing 3 mountains in a drive that’s roughly 20 miles that will take you an hour. They call that route “The Back Of The Dragon” & its nationally famous with motorcycle riders.

You hit on the exact three that I checked out. Your fourth one, taking 77 all the way to Beckley, never occurred to me. Seems like that would be by far the longest route to take. Thanks for providing these details.

I have friends in Pearisburg, so when the time comes I may opt for the C'burg/460 route so I can stop and holler at them, but we will see.

Reactions: 19GHS87 and eh31
You hit on the exact three that I checked out. Your fourth one, taking 77 all the way to Beckley, never occurred to me. Seems like that would be by far the longest route to take. Thanks for providing these details.

I have friends in Pearisburg, so when the time comes I may opt for the C'burg/460 route so I can stop and holler at them, but we will see.
If you want to lose your lunch, Go 81 to Marion and then over the mountains on 16 to Tazewell. Best route is 81 to Wytheville then 77 N to Bluefield then 460 W to tazewell. Its about a half hour longer if you take 460 at C Burg.

What way does Tazewell go when they play Marion? Do they go through Hungry Mother or do they go 77 to 81?

What way does Tazewell go when they play Marion? Do they go through Hungry Mother or do they go 77 to 81?
They actually go up 460 / 19 to Abingdon, then Hit 81 North to Marion. It's a shorter drive, then to go 460 to Bluefield to I-77, then I -81.
No way they go 16 to Marion on a bus. Those kids would get off the bus ready to hurl, if they hadn't done so already. 30 plus miles of kiss your butt turns over 3 mountains. I get car sick going over it when I'm in the Driver's seat. They don't call it the "Back of the Dragon" for nothing.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
They actually go up 460 / 19 to Abingdon, then Hit 81 North to Marion. It's a shorter drive, then to go 460 to Bluefield to I-77, then I -81.
No way they go 16 to Marion on a bus. Those kids would get off the bus ready to hurl, if they hadn't done so already. 30 plus miles of kiss your butt turns over 3 mountains. I get car sick going over it when I'm in the Driver's seat. They don't call it the "Back of the Dragon" for nothing.
Thank you! I’ve been to Hungry Mother once but the lake was as far as I’ve gotten. Beautiful area. God’s Country for sure.

I try to take the BotD as frequently as possible when I’m out in the Mustang lol. Fun road. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT