ADVERTISEMENT

What schools, other than Salem, have won three straight State Championships?

Salem was close to getting to four. They were in the finals in 2014, but lost to a very good Lake Taylor team. Got to the semifinals in 2013

Salem's losses;
2012. Heritage
2013 Byrd, Northside, Sherando
2014 Lake Taylor
2015 none
2016 Amherst
2017 Dinwiddie, Blacksburg

D1: Never (Riverheads has chance this season)
D2: Appomattox '15-'17
D3: Never
D4: Salem '98-'00, Briar Woods '10-'12, Salem '15-'17
D5: Hampton '95-'98, Phoebus '08-'11, Highlands Springs '15-'17
D6: Westfield '15-'17

Pretty remarkable that the number doubled this year. Nobody had ever done it before Hampton, then it was just Hampton and Salem for the next decade, then you doubled that number with Phoebus and Briar Woods in the following years, and doubled it again.

D3 is seemingly the least predictable of all, hammered home by the fact that the last two title winners shared a combined 9 losses. It takes 6 years of D1 champs to match that total, 10 years of D2 champs, a ridiculous 16 years of D4 champs, 12 years of D5 champs, and 13 years of D6 champs to match that many losses. D3 is also very difficult to run the table in (only 10 of 32 champs have been perfect, although D1 has a mere 6, the other 4 divisions hover in the 14-16 range) and is also the only division where back-to-back perfect champs had to be from the same team (Brookville and Gretna), not from different ones.

Reactions: southbottomU
D1: Never (Riverheads has chance this season)
D2: Appomattox '15-'17
D3: Never
D4: Salem '98-'00, Briar Woods '10-'12, Salem '15-'17
D5: Hampton '95-'98, Phoebus '08-'11, Highlands Springs '15-'17
D6: Westfield '15-'17

Pretty remarkable that the number doubled this year. Nobody had ever done it before Hampton, then it was just Hampton and Salem for the next decade, then you doubled that number with Phoebus and Briar Woods in the following years, and doubled it again.

D3 is seemingly the least predictable of all, hammered home by the fact that the last two title winners shared a combined 9 losses. It takes 6 years of D1 champs to match that total, 10 years of D2 champs, a ridiculous 16 years of D4 champs, 12 years of D5 champs, and 13 years of D6 champs to match that many losses. D3 is also very difficult to run the table in (only 10 of 32 champs have been perfect, although D1 has a mere 6, the other 4 divisions hover in the 14-16 range) and is also the only division where back-to-back perfect champs had to be from the same team (Brookville and Gretna), not from different ones.

I think that one of the reasons that D1 and D3 have those low numbers is in big part due to the top teams placement in their respective districts. Aside from the fact that there is no an even bigger disparity in classes in some divisions, a lot of these winners are smaller schools in predominantly larger school districts.

I know that to be the case for Riverheads, as they are in my area. There is only 1 team now (was 2) schools in district in A. D1 also has the widest gap between top teams. All 3 loses for them the past 2 years were to top teams in AA. And then once they got into playoffs, every game except 1 was a BIG blowout.

Salem benefits greatly by their district and OOD schedule, as it prepares them for postseason. Sure there may be a couple bad teams in, but it sure looks like the Blacksburg game helped them. Riverheads is the same way. They play a lot of playoff teams, and even like SD this past year, they were better than a couple of the teams who got in because of the region.

But the 16 year thing for 9 losses is SHOCKING to me

Good stuff @1MoreHokie. Last years Class 3 State Champion Hopewell was a very good football team and yet they finished 11-4 (5-0 in the playoffs). I can't speak for a all Class 3 teams, but many of them are in mixed districts and are required to play several higher classification teams during the regular season (Jefferson, Seminole, Central, Bay Rivers, RR....to name a few). When you consider Blacksburg's 2016 and Hopewell's 2017 overall record it looks odd on paper, but it really does not reflect their performance against teams in Class 3.

Since realignment (2013) Hopewell is 43-24 overall, has a playoff record of 11-4, are 23-5 against teams in Class 3 and are 17-19 against teams of higher classifications. Although its not impossible, it would be quite a feat for the Blue Devils to have an undefeated regular season. Hopewell's OOD schedule usually has two Class 4 opponents (Powhatan, Hanover, Monacan) and one Class 3 opponent. Last year they schedule two class 3 opponents. In district they play One Class 6 team (Thomas Dale), 3 Class 5 teams (Matoaca, Prince George, and Meadowbrook) 1 Class 4 team (Dinwiddie) and 2 Class 3 teams (Petersburg and Colonial Heights).

Just using Hopewell schedule and enrollment numbers as an example, one could easily see why some of the top Class 3 teams do not have gaudy records and are less likely to repeat. The brutality of the Seminole is equally tough for the Class 3 teams and just surviving the regular season has to take its toll on a playoff run. Just my take.

Last edited:
Reactions: lyhsports
Appomattox has won three straight.
2015 State game score: 42-7 record 15-0
2016 State game score: 42-7 record 15-0
2017 State game score: 38-34 record 14-1

They are 44-1 over the last 3 years with the only loss coming to Heritage who played for the 3A championship that year

(pretty sure those scores are correct)

Good eye on Bird, I missed them because they won the 2012 title in 6A. Makes more sense as I was almost positive I read months back there were 9 3-peats not 8 but I couldn't find the one I was missing.

ADVERTISEMENT