ADVERTISEMENT

What teams in the 757 are sleepers this season?

LT93Bunny

VaPreps Rookie
Sep 25, 2012
Last year I selected Norview and Woodside. Norview 9-1 and Woodside 7-3 losing two games by a total of 3points combine.

This year I have selected Bethel and Western Branch.

Last year I selected Norview and Woodside. Norview 9-1 and Woodside 7-3 losing two games by a total of 3points combine.

This year I have selected Bethel and Western Branch.

Both were easy picks a year ago. Norview should have gone 9-1 with a Sr. qb and a OOD schedule that our JV team could have went undefeated against. They beat Churchland by 7 ICN by 2 Wilson by 10 Kellam by 3 in the first round. They won so close games and was a couple of plays away from taking 4 loses. Tremendous season for them increasing their win total by 5 games and making it to the final 8.

Bethel I'm interested to see I've heard conflicting reports about them so it will be an interesting situation. As far as Western Branch goes 7-3 or 8-2 will be on par with what people expect from them. However it's not inconceivable for them to go 6-4 as they are breaking in a new qb. I'm just ready for the season to start.

Bethel defensively pretty much return everyone. The QB situation may be the biggest question. I heard Robert Smith has transferred to Bethel from Phoebus. Maybe he will be their missing link at QB. I also heard that LT's projected started Joe Bryant Jr has left LT. Whats going on Devils? I think I may go to the HSHS Scrimmage on the 8th.

Both were easy picks a year ago. Norview should have gone 9-1 with a Sr. qb and a OOD schedule that our JV team could have went undefeated against. They beat Churchland by 7 ICN by 2 Wilson by 10 Kellam by 3 in the first round. They won so close games and was a couple of plays away from taking 4 loses. Tremendous season for them increasing their win total by 5 games and making it to the final 8.

Bethel I'm interested to see I've heard conflicting reports about them so it will be an interesting situation. As far as Western Branch goes 7-3 or 8-2 will be on par with what people expect from them. However it's not inconceivable for them to go 6-4 as they are breaking in a new qb. I'm just ready for the season to start.

Western Branch isn't exactly breaking in a new QB....although, he is new to WB, he is already committed to a D1 school. He is a transfer from Great Bridge where he was a 3 year starter and 2 time all conference QB for them. Western Branch is going to be a handful and I wouldn't be surprised to see them go unbeaten after they take their lumps in Cocoa, Fl.

Western Branch isn't exactly breaking in a new QB....although, he is new to WB, he is already committed to a D1 school. He is a transfer from Great Bridge where he was a 3 year starter and 2 time all conference QB for them. Western Branch is going to be a handful and I wouldn't be surprised to see them go unbeaten after they take their lumps in Cocoa, Fl.
He is new to the WB system. I know what he did at Great Bridge, but lets be honest he's going from a wide open offense to a system that is compact. Now WB is very well coached and a top program in the area, but you are the only person that is giving them a 9-1 season. That means they will beat Smith and River who are definitely the top 2 teams in the Southeastern District. But that is why they play the games I will be watching!!

WB only weakness the past few years is that they couldn't throw the football. Teams that have beaten them have loaded up on the run. I still expect them to be ultra-successful running the ball.... The difference will be this new QB, who is exceptionally good. I watched him several times last month at Lake Taylor's 7/7. He is probably the best QB in the 757. I expect WB to score a bunch of points in lots of different ways this year. No way will teams be able to load up to stop the run because this kid is way too good. Smith lost some key players. WB gets River the week after they play Smith. You're right, that is why they play the games. I just don't see many teams being able to score like WB will score and I just wanted to clarify that the new QB wasn't just some kid that has never played. Can't wait for the season to start!

WB only weakness the past few years is that they couldn't throw the football. Teams that have beaten them have loaded up on the run. I still expect them to be ultra-successful running the ball.... The difference will be this new QB, who is exceptionally good. I watched him several times last month at Lake Taylor's 7/7. He is probably the best QB in the 757. I expect WB to score a bunch of points in lots of different ways this year. No way will teams be able to load up to stop the run because this kid is way too good. Smith lost some key players. WB gets River the week after they play Smith. You're right, that is why they play the games. I just don't see many teams being able to score like WB will score and I just wanted to clarify that the new QB wasn't just some kid that has never played. Can't wait for the season to start!

I beg to differ about where WB had deficiencies the last couple of years. If you look at WB numbers their offense production has gone up, but also their PPG allowed has gone up also. They are giving up 20 points per game every year the last 3 years. Those are not great numbers for a team trying to win a championship IMHO. Wilson is a good QB, but he's not the best in the 757 he might be in the top 5. The QB crop this year is not that great but it still includes Shon Mitchell, Von Quillen, Desmond Savage, Cole Johnson, all which are proven QBs. Congrats on the Bucknell scholarship as that is a great school congrats to that young man.

I beg to differ about where WB had deficiencies the last couple of years. If you look at WB numbers their offense production has gone up, but also their PPG allowed has gone up also. They are giving up 20 points per game every year the last 3 years. Those are not great numbers for a team trying to win a championship IMHO. Wilson is a good QB, but he's not the best in the 757 he might be in the top 5. The QB crop this year is not that great but it still includes Shon Mitchell, Von Quillen, Desmond Savage, Cole Johnson, all which are proven QBs. Congrats on the Bucknell scholarship as that is a great school congrats to that young man.

I am pretty sure both Cole Johnson and Desmond Savage both participated in this event linked for you at bottom of this post. In addition, I know both participated in the Richmond Rivals camp where Wilson again finished higher than both. Quillen is definitely a better dual threat. No argument.

Mitchell is just hard to compare to any other QB because no other QB has the Oline protection and the talented receivers that OS puts on the field with Mitchell that seem to create 10 yard separation down after down. He is damn good, though. But, just hard to know what the other QBs would do with same tools and advantages. Mitchell is only 5'11" too.

Those QBs you mentioned are very good and I am not disparaging them at all. No doubt, very good. But, Wilson has topped 3 of them in two different head to head competitions in past few months. Plus, from what I seen from Wilson at recent 7/7s, I just have a hard time believing that any of them throw the rock as accurately as Wilson. Coupling that fact with the elite 11 results, I would have no problem with taking him on my team against any of them. You stated that those other QBs are proven...Wilson has thrown for over 4,000 yards and 30 TDs with his senior season yet to be played. Not exactly unproven territory.

Ah, heck...I can't figure out how to provide a link in this new format. If you want, you can just paste this link below to your browser. Also, I believe QBhitlist was present at the elite 11 and ranked the QBs from 1-42. I think they also ranked Wilson in the top 5. Johnson was top 15. Savage was lower. Tyree Wilson was also in attendance and finished around the middle of the pack. I don't think Quillen and Mitchell were there. Plus, Quillen is peninsula anyway. :)

http://m.bleacherreport.com/article...its-from-2015-washington-dc-elite-11-regional

I am pretty sure both Cole Johnson and Desmond Savage both participated in this event linked for you at bottom of this post. In addition, I know both participated in the Richmond Rivals camp where Wilson again finished higher than both. Quillen is definitely a better dual threat. No argument.

Mitchell is just hard to compare to any other QB because no other QB has the Oline protection and the talented receivers that OS puts on the field with Mitchell that seem to create 10 yard separation down after down. He is damn good, though. But, just hard to know what the other QBs would do with same tools and advantages. Mitchell is only 5'11" too.

Those QBs you mentioned are very good and I am not disparaging them at all. No doubt, very good. But, Wilson has topped 3 of them in two different head to head competitions in past few months. Plus, from what I seen from Wilson at recent 7/7s, I just have a hard time believing that any of them throw the rock as accurately as Wilson. Coupling that fact with the elite 11 results, I would have no problem with taking him on my team against any of them. You stated that those other QBs are proven...Wilson has thrown for over 4,000 yards and 30 TDs with his senior season yet to be played. Not exactly unproven territory.

Ah, heck...I can't figure out how to provide a link in this new format. If you want, you can just paste this link below to your browser. Also, I believe QBhitlist was present at the elite 11 and ranked the QBs from 1-42. I think they also ranked Wilson in the top 5. Johnson was top 15. Savage was lower. Tyree Wilson was also in attendance and finished around the middle of the pack. I don't think Quillen and Mitchell were there. Plus, Quillen is peninsula anyway. :)

http://m.bleacherreport.com/article...its-from-2015-washington-dc-elite-11-regional

I'm sorry but camp results don't hold any weight with me. Running around with shorts and t-shirts on is not football. 7 on 7 is a good thing for the offense to develop timing and familiarity, but again its a small part of the game. Good luck to Jacob and WB this year.

I'm sorry but camp results don't hold any weight with me. Running around with shorts and t-shirts on is not football. 7 on 7 is a good thing for the offense to develop timing and familiarity, but again its a small part of the game. Good luck to Jacob and WB this year.

I knew you were going to say that.

C'mon now that list is flawed in so many ways. Hell Mike Carney is ranked higher in the state than in Tidewater. It's just Larry's opinion. Wilson is a solid QB no knock on him, but I'm not going to say he's the factor that will make WB 9-1 this season beating Smith and River. Improved defense might help them alone the way, but again good luck to them. I personally put zero stock in camps, 7 on 7s , and people's rankings.

SMH...If you say so. That's a list based on what? QB Hit list is a great source of information that I have NEVER heard of. He's rated higher based on what? A camp? Wilson must be your son.

LOL...not my son. Just giving you a hard time. I like to back my arguments with visual support. I have no idea how they graded or when they graded....could be off just their highlight film since both kids film on that site.

52e156e32b9f99f95e4ca18c12a9004cc1e84f92e539dc91ed5e68a9c0efdac9.jpg

Well I'm going to make a point that kinda proves you are either the parent or a family member of Wilson. Now you have gone to 7 on 7's, numerous camps, and pulling up articles, and data about Wilson on command which screams one of two things you are a parent/family member of the kid or a creepy stalker. I doubt it's the second one.

:) Or I just like to take a side of an argument and provide irrefutable supporting docs. But, you wouldn't buy any of it. Google is amazing tool. :p

:) Or I just like to take a side of an argument and provide irrefutable supporting docs. But, you wouldn't buy any of it. Google is amazing tool. :p

They're refutable but I don't have the time or patience to sit and prove them wrong. Plus he's a kid I'm not going to bash him I wish him and WB nothing but the best.

Uh oh...you got the boss on your side. :) No, I was just at Lake Taylor twice for their passing league. LT and Ocean Lakes were definitely a treat to watch. Athletes at every position. Fun to watch.

Uh oh...you got the boss on your side. :) No, I was just at Lake Taylor twice for their passing league. LT and Ocean Lakes were definitely a treat to watch. Athletes at every position. Fun to watch.

I'm not taking anyone's side.

I'm just interested in how you have no relationship with Wilson yet you know...
  • that he was at a Rivals camp in Richmond (along with other players who were there)
  • have seen him (and others) enough to make the claim that he is more accurate
  • how to dig up three hyperlinks pretty quickly (though Bleacher Report??? Yikes!)
  • the Elite 11 results of him and the other guys
  • his career stats

You will have to filter to state of Virginia --2016. One of your chosen graded a little lower than Wilson.

Wilson grades out better because he is 6'3", Savage is 6 footish. This make Wilson a better prospect, but to say you would take Wilson over the 5,000 yard Savage is just foolish. Also Savage was not invited to any of those camps you named earlier.

Wilson threw for 250 yards, 6 TDs and 0 int against West Springfield yesterday. Western Branch beat them 77-27. I saw it on Twitter and here is some verification.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2028601/highlights/279192383/v2

WHO DOES THIS???? So you know stats from a scrimmage and link the highlights on hudl from the scrimmage. I bet you are a proud father after that scrimmage. I'm pretty sure W Springfield didn't game plan for WB or even see an offense like that during the season. You would have gotten more respect if you would have just admitted you are the dad or other family member and were trying to talk about your son from the beginning but this charade is funny.

Well our Soph QB making his first career start at QB after being a RB last season threw for almost 300 yards and 5 Td's in a 63-14 win over 6A Woodside on Thurs, but guess why I didn't put that up here??? No one cares it's a scrimmage. Again Wilson is a good QB and will have a great season at WB, but that still doesn't make him the best QB in the 757. Curious question since you are in the know why did he commit to Bucknell so early?

Let's not forget how this started. It was you that said Western Branch was breaking in a new QB. I simply corrected you and stated that wasn't going to be an issue. Did the guy above get accused of being Savage's brother? How did you know the stats of the Sophomore? Is that your son or brother?
I have no way of knowing why he committed to Bucknell so early. Lots of kids are verbally committed to FCS schools. Bucknell is a high academic school. Maybe Wilson has a high GPA and test scores. Maybe he wants a great education?

No he wasn't accused of being his brother maybe he's the coach. Maybe you're a WB coach or a GB coach who knows. You know a lot of info for a kid you just happen to see at some 7 on 7s.

Sorry, I just saw this request. I am not sure how to copy a link from twitter. Probably simple...I just can't figure it out. I am sure you can find the tweets if you just do a search. Sorry.

All you have to do is hit the little 3 dots and a drop down box appears it says copy link to tweet. Then paste it here. Again I would like for you to provide this tweet you got your information from.

Bayside from Va Beach could go 9-1 , Devils what happen to qb at Salem he didn't play vs oscar smith scrimmage and new qb didn't look good at all S Mitchell threw couple picks vs Salem D seems OS has no true threat at WR they have a massive line power run on anyone what i saw. Looking at Western Branch formations seems West Springfiled LBs didn't jam the recivers coming from the back field lol horrible coaching right there.

Bayside from Va Beach could go 9-1 , Devils what happen to qb at Salem he didn't play vs oscar smith scrimmage and new qb didn't look good at all S Mitchell threw couple picks vs Salem D seems OS has no true threat at WR they have a massive line power run on anyone what i saw. Looking at Western Branch formations seems West Springfiled LBs didn't jam the recivers coming from the back field lol horrible coaching right there.
Bayside has a solid chance to finish 9-1 this year because there is such a huge gap in the Beach after OL. A lot of parody I honestly think there are a couple of teams that could finish second in the Beach Bayside, Salem, and your boys Landstown they have the talent. I heard Smith was huge up front will be interesting as their longtime OL coach retired and moved to GA. Timing was a little off with Mitchell from what I heard, but they are well coached and will get it together.

Landstown could go 8-2 I don't see them winning vs Bayside who knows they looked pretty good vs K-Tan in the scrimmage only saw them give up one big play K - Tan top 3 team peninsula

Landstown could go 8-2 I don't see them winning vs Bayside who knows they looked pretty good vs K-Tan in the scrimmage only saw them give up one big play K - Tan top 3 team peninsula

Also Salem QB will not be playing this year.. I won't elaborate, but its unfortunate for that kid to miss his Sr. season. I'm buying Landstown right now big time, but we shall see they can beat Salem and lose to PA the next week. Just that kind of craziness with them. Maybe this year they put it all together.

I hope so man now that you told me Salem qb not playing guess what I'll be going to the Green Run vs Bayside game then lol Salem with out its qb couldn't move the ball air vs Smith doubt they will do it vs Ocean Lake Defense.

ADVERTISEMENT