ADVERTISEMENT

What Will You Miss?

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
What will you miss most about football being played in the fall... aside from the action on the field.

For me, I am going to miss the smell of the concessions as you enter a stadium, the band(if it is a good band) rocking the house. The excitement of the players during warmups... The chatter on the sidelines you pickup on as a reporter.

I will miss how you start the season in blazing heat... I remember a few years ago I went to Manchester when they hosted Matoaca and I don't ever recall sweating so much at a football game. Then there is that crisp fall air that descends mid-season where you trade in the shorts for the jeans and a sweat shirt and when it is all said and done we are in November/December braving the cold elements.

Hopefully we have Spring football and it will be a unique experience for sure and give us all new experiences and memories but I am really going to miss Friday Night Lights in the fall.

What will you miss most about football being played in the fall... aside from the action on the field.

For me, I am going to miss the smell of the concessions as you enter a stadium, the band(if it is a good band) rocking the house. The excitement of the players during warmups... The chatter on the sidelines you pickup on as a reporter.

I will miss how you start the season in blazing heat... I remember a few years ago I went to Manchester when they hosted Matoaca and I don't ever recall sweating so much at a football game. Then there is that crisp fall air that descends mid-season where you trade in the shorts for the jeans and a sweat shirt and when it is all said and done we are in November/December braving the cold elements.

Hopefully we have Spring football and it will be a unique experience for sure and give us all new experiences and memories but I am really going to miss Friday Night Lights in the fall.
Will miss practice, watching film for hours, and kids. Won’t miss parents gripping because little Johnny not getting playing time nor the coaches who pay $5.00 each Friday to sitting in the stands knowing more than the coaches.

I'll miss going up to the practice field and watching the progress being made during 2 a days. (I imagine the kids won't miss August practices as much as me) I'll miss the intrasquad scrimmage where you get to see everybody's new numbers for the first time. I'll miss the benefit game where you see the first game like experience of the year. But most of all I'll miss the people- the coaches, the young players who are finally on the big field, the experienced vets who know who you are, and the other fans who are just as excited as you are.

I’ll miss the scrimmages and seeing what it all looks like and that first game to see what have - or don’t!!

miss this year the first game with a very talented Goochland at their field , never been there!

Not going to miss those disgusting August Fridays where it's 93 degrees at 7 PM for no good reason but football really is the perfect fall sport. Fall, in general, is the most superior sports season. It's unfortunate only two major outdoor sports lean into fall as much as they do.

Listening to the radio show previews after work. Making predictions on the night as I drive to the stadium. Showing up early to see the teams warm up.

Leaving the stadium listening to the ends of other games. News broadcasts of the games that night followed by the radio coverage the next morning.

Think about it Starting Football in the spring makes more sense than you think starting when it’s cold
You don’t have to worry about heat illness you start
When it’s cold and when you get to the playoffs the weather is much better track and Baseball would
Be better in the fall all of their off season programs are in the summer warm weather when they start
Better on pitching arms and hamstrings for track kids with football depending on weight training the kids would be back in school with their coaches training prior to football starting

I'll really miss that same old soundtrack they've been playing for years during pregame warmups at Clarke County. I'll miss our announcer saying "No penalty flags, spot the ball, first down EAGLES!!" I'll miss the smell of hamburgers cooking on the grill outside the concession stands. I'll miss the crazy students who dress up in a one piece suit that covers their face and run across the field just for laughs and the cops who try to grab them before they make it over the fence. I'll miss when the teams line up on the ball in the crisp fall air and seeing their breath. Most of all, I'll miss not meeting up with the guys I've met on this board. I bought my fishing license for the first time in years last weekend, guess I'll go fishing.

Yes! Trout fishing in Asheville next week for me. Gonna be glorious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT