ADVERTISEMENT

What's gonna happen at UVA?

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
Certainly think London is gone. Who could be some replacements?

Who cares? It won't matter, they stink, have stunk, and will continue to stink.

They have been very patient with London. He is a good recruiter but unfortunately it is not transferring on the field. Hard to justify the 2.1 million a year he gets paid. Time for a change.

UVA has consistently got some NFL talented players and consistently lose. If you can't even compete in the ACC every now and then, there might be other issues. I don't know if its depth, coaching, culture or what? Who would want that job? Where can London go next?

Turner Gill at Liberty would be my under the radar choice..Maybe some Rec program could used London...

Turner Gill at Liberty would be my under the radar choice..Maybe some Rec program could used London...

London did win a national championship at Richmond. So he's far from a Rec league coach. Has he done a poor job as the HC at UVA on the field yes, but he's has done an excellent job bringing in talent. Because he's such a good recruiter he will land on his feet somewhere.

They've had a tough schedule. UCLA, Norte dame and Boise State. A lot of teams won't win those. Nothing will happen until the end of he season. They can still go bowling. That will fix everything for another year. I also see how users here have complained so often about all the QB's UVA recruits and have on the roster at the start of the season. Funny, how despite the plethora of kids for that position, they still haven't found one that's any good and that may be their biggest problem of all.

Besides, London is hardly stupid. If the writing is on the wall, he'll take a job somewhere else before the hatchet falls.

The writing is on the wall. He's going to get fired and then he'll get a job somewhere else not before. I just wonder where - it has to be a step down. I believe London is a solid coach and will learn from his experiences. Does he take a head coaching job at the old Div 1A level or get on someone else's staff at a big power 5 school??

London did win a national championship at Richmond. So he's far from a Rec league coach. Has he done a poor job as the HC at UVA on the field yes, but he's has done an excellent job bringing in talent. Because he's such a good recruiter he will land on his feet somewhere.
Agreed, he a great recruiter but he hasn't produced as a head coach. The UVA AD should be given a cigarette and a blindfold for this schedule. Littlepage needs to occupying the same rail on the ride out. Don't think London has control of the team as was evidenced by Thorpe showing his ass after his great TD reception and tightrope run. Your TEAM is behind, your TEAM has lost two of it's first three games, your TEAM is trailing in the current game and your selfish ME, ME ass is posing in the end zone and taunting a team that would eventually wear your butt out! What an ass! I have been a UVA fan forever. They're hard to watch anymore!
GO SALEM
GO MULES

London is going to be fired if they don't finish the season by going to a bowl game. Especially if uva loses to tech. The problem is his assistants not him as a head coach but many fans put the main blame on the head coach. He is constantly get the 4 star recruits. He will end up somewhere because he is a great recruiter.

London is going to be fired if they don't finish the season by going to a bowl game. Especially if uva loses to tech. The problem is his assistants not him as a head coach but many fans put the main blame on the head coach. He is constantly get the 4 star recruits. He will end up somewhere because he is a great recruiter.
Who hires and fires assistants?
GO SALEM
GO MULES

I
Agreed, he a great recruiter but he hasn't produced as a head coach. The UVA AD should be given a cigarette and a blindfold for this schedule. Littlepage needs to occupying the same rail on the ride out. Don't think London has control of the team as was evidenced by Thorpe showing his ass after his great TD reception and tightrope run. Your TEAM is behind, your TEAM has lost two of it's first three games, your TEAM is trailing in the current game and your selfish ME, ME ass is posing in the end zone and taunting a team that would eventually wear your butt out! What an ass! I have been a UVA fan forever. They're hard to watch anymore!
GO SALEM
GO MULES

I agree fully. That behavior is so far removed from what Coach London is all about, that I'm totally befuddled why it even happened. You may be correct. Maybe he does not have a firm hand on his kids. That certainly would be a factor as to why they just can't put it together.

And I agree I have never cared for Littlepage. He needs to go. But, that is just my personal feeling. For all I know, he may be the reason for all the other successful athletic programs.

The assistants? Don't you remember that London purged all the assistants at the end of the 2013 season and brought in new ones. All his personal selections. He certainly shook things up. No payoff yet.

As far as the schedule goes, do you think London had no influence on the selections? If you want to be a competitor, you have to play competitive teams. Yes, you take some lumps early by going in that direction but you learn what it takes to go Bowling and then actually win. I am a big believer in playing the best if you want to be the best. I was watching Sports Center this morning and I was surprised by the amount of teams sitting at 3 - 0 right now that have played opponents not close to their class. We'll see how that works out for them come conference time.

I really don't see London going after this year. He does everything right as a Coach, recruiter and as a representative of UVA. He is exactly what the administration wants. He also does the right thing in regard to the players. They respect and believe in him. He also doesn't fool around in terms of discipline. His persona is overwhelming. You trust this man immediately. There is, however, the bottom line of results. It will bite you in the ass eventually and even someone like London will be reluctantly let go. I think he goes all the way through the 2016 season before any decision like that is considered. The Administration wants badly for him to succeed and be there a long time.

GO SALEM
GO MULES
Littlepage going nowhere. His athletic department is one of the best in the country---just bad in football. He will also get a lifetime pass for hiring Tony Bennett in basketball---one of the best hires ever in the state of Virginia in any sport. He needs to find a Tony Bennett in football

Littlepage going nowhere. His athletic department is one of the best in the country---just bad in football. He will also get a lifetime pass for hiring Tony Bennett in basketball---one of the best hires ever in the state of Virginia in any sport. He needs to find a Tony Bennett in football

Someone likes themselves some Tony Bennett!!! LOL.. He's a good coach and a nice guy. Also like his assistants too as they are very approachable.

Honestly i am not as UVA football fan, even though my daughter graduated from there. go hokies! However, with the talent at UVA , and with the high school talent coming out of the state of Virginia I think there good reason to search Nationally for a serious up and coming SEC assistant or better. It's time for The state of Virginia football for both UVA and Virginia Tech to upgrade the coaching and keep these 5stars like Hand and Allen from going to Bama and others. There is no reason in my opinion that both schools couldn't get a serious upgrade in coaching from out of the state.

I was thinking that as I was typing.

If not , I vote coach Bill Hall ( Sherando ) for next UVA coach. :D

Hummmmmm, you would give up your coach to try to make UVA better? A school that you are not particularly fond of? I've got to study that. Must be a hidden agenda that I'm missing.

And I agree. I want to see all Virginia schools do good or better in football. I know we will always lose a good percentage of our kids to out of state schools. But more successful programs means more kids will stay in state.

The Sherando coach thing was a joke, not that he couldn't be successful someday doing that. But I would love to see college football in virginia to upgrade to next level.

The Sherando coach thing was a joke, not that he couldn't be successful someday doing that. But I would love to see college football in virginia to upgrade to next level.
Actually, it's possible that he could be successful someday but, in truth, the difference between a HS Football program and College is literally light years.

London does get recruits and some real good ones from a talent and rating standpoint but somehow, they don't stack up and fall by the wayside. So many just don't pan out. Personally, I think something is missing in the recruiting process. Physical talent gets you recruited but I don't think UVA is considering the whole player. 4 and 5 stars are great but they seem to be disregarding commitment, heart, character and intelligence. So many recruits at UVA just fall by the wayside for various reasons. Just look at the QB's that simply disappear or the tremendous DB's that don't exist. Just IMO.

At least they're not Maryland. The Terps started the season with 3 FCS teams and went 1 - 2. Today, WV absolutely crushed them. 1 - 3. At least UVA's loses were to top teams in FBS. Notre Dame is #6. UCLA is #9. Georgia Tech is #20. Boise State is an offensive juggernaut. They were in the other games. No question BS embarrassed them today.

I actually like their prep for their conference schedule, despite the loses. Now they have to follow it up with a strong finish. Playing the big kids makes you better. I think they go Bowling this year and perhaps even beat VT. IMO. Have to admit, this is more gut than anything else. I've hired tons of people in my life. I'd like to think I'm a pretty good judge. At least my record says so and there were often naysayers in my selections. I'd take London in a second. Of course, nobody is perfect.

I have not joined in the calls for London's dismissal as many have over the years. As many of you have said he is a great recruiter, loves and cares for his players, and has many insider allies pulling for his success (or did anyway). Unfortunately, he and his staff struggle at play calling, time management, and building a culture based on winning. Unfortunately, it appears the time for patience has come to an end. Someone else will be hired as the head man after this season that can run the entire show (basically a great head coach runs his program like a CEO).

Now could London remain on staff as a powerful secondary man? Head of recruiting? Advisor to the players? Would egos get in the way? Money? Hurt feelings?

I thought of the Tony Bennett example as well. His persona, high intelligence, style, energy, people skills, work ethic, and so on is the rare find that you hope to find in a head coach to take you to the next level. Think Shaka Smart as well.

Lastly, I certainly agree with having and creating a tough schedule to prepare you for the playoffs, conference play, etc. if you already have a solid team. However, when your team (program) has been down for years (and your job is obviously on the line), you schedule some early games you can win to build confidence and start building a winning culture (and become bowl eligible).

Either London misjudged where his team would be at this point (if he had a big hand in making the schedule) or "someone" else scheduled him right out of there........

My best guess as the next coach at UVa is Troy Calhoun of Air Force, who would be appealing to UVa's administration with the similarity to George Welsh. If UVa has a difficult time finding candidates due to the dysfunctional athletic administration, Jim Grobe could be the fallback option. Neither one would necessarily be my first choice, but just what I see as most likely.

What is wrong with Div 1 in Virginia period. UVA is a lost cause under current coach- ample time poor results. But VT is no better, maybe worse as the talent has fallen to mediocre in recruiting as the best now leave state. Time has passed Beamer and Foster by and until VT gets a top younger coach 6-6 is about all you can expect. One needs to know when to call it quits and Beamer has done vey good for VT but needs to pass the reins on. The defense against EC was simply bad and considering the hype before the season absolutely awful. If VT was a corporation the top two would be gone now.

Reactions: wikki
55030469.jpg

Is this the same dysfuctional administration responsible for the MANY ACC titles Virginia wins in other sports?

Or the same dysfunctional administration that employs Dom Starsia, George Gelanovitch, Brian O' Connor and Tony Bennett?

UVA football has struggled for the past couple of years...I like Mike London personally. He just hasn't been overly successful (Peach Bowl loss to Auburn and didn't UVA go to another minor bowl as well?? Can't think right off the top of my head)...and his schedule has been extremely difficult to this point...(and yes, I'll include William and Mary in there as well!) UVA athletics is "down" in many people's eyes because the FB program is down...Nothing could be further from the truth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT