ADVERTISEMENT

When Rustburg was king.

No mention of Rustburg great Danny Davis! I've seen a lot of good ones in Virginia, and I can count on one hand the players who I think were better than Davis(and still have fingers left over)

Reactions: mike salem
No mention of Rustburg great Danny Davis! I've seen a lot of good ones in Virginia, and I can count on one hand the players who I think were better than Davis(and still have fingers left over)
I agree with you about DD being one of, if not, The Best VAHS football players I ever saw. I don't think he was mentioned because he had already graduated before the 90 team won the first championship. He was a part of the 87 squad that lost to James Monroe 10-9 in the championship game. The article focuses on the 90, 93, & 00 squads.

I was blessed to see Ronald Curry in person and he is the GOAT in my opinion with Percy Harvin in second. I would put DD in third. All of them were dominant in multiple phases of the game. And all of my exposure to them was in big playoff games. They simply took over.

But I know there were other greats who I didn't get to see in person like Iverson, etc. I have seen film of Iverson, but didn't get the pleasure of seeing him live. Dennis Mahan(Martinsville) and Mickey Rogers(Gate City) are other names that I know were dominant, but they were before my time.

Seen a bunch of them as well. The best all around (both sides of the football) high school football player I've ever seen was Deangelo Hall at Deep Creek. He was unbelievable. I saw Curry, Vick, Terry Kirby, and most in the Tidewater in the 80's and 90's before moving back home to the Mountains. Hall was just that good in all phases, offense, defenses, at QB, at RB, at slot, at DB, at punt return, etc Punt block? That also.

I was fortunate enough to see Randy Moss in High School and he's the best High School player I've ever seen on offense. Another great player I got to see while living in Denver for one year was basketball great Chauncy Billups. He was the Ronald Curry of the midwest. Unbelievable QB (All American) and defensive back. Just a freak athlete who turned down Football for Basketball out of George Washington High in Denver.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
They were awesome back then mike ! My Daughter was a cheerleader for rust burg when they made a great run . They lost in 99 if I remember right to Nottaway at Charlottesville HS then they won in 2000 at James Madison over turner ashby on a field goal near the end . For some reason I was thinking she went to 3 championships , chime in . I went to Appomattox back in 78-80 and my kids went to rustburg . Some great HS football there for a long time , I am now in Myrtle beach football here is very much like back home !

They were awesome back then mike ! My Daughter was a cheerleader for rust burg when they made a great run . They lost in 99 if I remember right to Nottaway at Charlottesville HS then they won in 2000 at James Madison over turner ashby on a field goal near the end . For some reason I was thinking she went to 3 championships , chime in . I went to Appomattox back in 78-80 and my kids went to rustburg . Some great HS football there for a long time , I am now in Myrtle beach football here is very much like back home !
I had to look it up. Looks like in 98 Nottoway beat Rustburg, in 99 Brookville beat Handley, and in 00 Rustburg beat Nottoway

Reactions: Stabler1980
Seen a bunch of them as well. The best all around (both sides of the football) high school football player I've ever seen was Deangelo Hall at Deep Creek. He was unbelievable. I saw Curry, Vick, Terry Kirby, and most in the Tidewater in the 80's and 90's before moving back home to the Mountains. Hall was just that good in all phases, offense, defenses, at QB, at RB, at slot, at DB, at punt return, etc Punt block? That also.

I was fortunate enough to see Randy Moss in High School and he's the best High School player I've ever seen on offense. Another great player I got to see while living in Denver for one year was basketball great Chauncy Billups. He was the Ronald Curry of the midwest. Unbelievable QB (All American) and defensive back. Just a freak athlete who turned down Football for Basketball out of George Washington High in Denver.
Danny Davis was awesome. Former EC Glass Coach Bo Henson said Alan Iverson was the best High School player he ever saw. Iverson scored 6 different ways in the State Championship game. I also just heard that he had 7 interceptions in 1 game. He was the fastest and the quickest player I have ever seen. Virginia has been blessed with some truly gifted players.

Reactions: mike salem
Danny Davis was awesome. Former EC Glass Coach Bo Henson said Alan Iverson was the best High School player he ever saw. Iverson scored 6 different ways in the State Championship game. I also just heard that he had 7 interceptions in 1 game. He was the fastest and the quickest player I have ever seen. Virginia has been blessed with some truly gifted players.
Close on Iverson, but I think the score of that game was 27-0. He threw for one, ran of one, pick 6 for one and punt return.

I'd agree on Ronald Curry, Allen Iverson and Percy Harvin. I never got to see DD but I can tell you after seeing 28 State Championship years in a row before Covid, which many years were 2 games a year, Treyveon Henderson (Hopewell) is by far the best running back I've ever seen. That kid is going to be special at Ohio State if he remains healthy, I know Botetourt is glad to see him skip his Sr season of HS lol

ADVERTISEMENT