ADVERTISEMENT

When was the last time Salem won a playoff game on the road?

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
I am sure there are few that might be able to answer this question? I realize that they haven't had to play on the road very often over the years because they have been the higher seeded team--but I know the last two years Salem lost to Lake Taylor at a neutral cite and the year before lost to Sherando at Sherando.

The last true road playoff game Salem won was at Richlands in 2004. They've lost four straight since, for an all-time road playoff record of 10-10. Salem is 8-2 at neutral sites and, after tonight's win, 39-9 at home in the post-season.

Anyone picking the two Loudoun Co. schools........might be correct.

I will pick Champe also after watching tonight's game at Salem
Sorry I didn't get to see you at the game tonight. Salem didn't look like themselves tonight Wikki. They had 3 turnovers and they struggled for the first half in stopping Amherst. Lancers did a good job of chewing clock and keeping it a game for quite a while. Salem will have to play much better than they did tonight to win next week. They can't turn the ball over and win against Champe on the road and win. They are capable of playing much better, they will have to next week.

I will be taking Champe in this game. And I think for once Salem learns how it feels to have to sit on those busses and travel the distance to go play a formidable opponent. I think Salem has had that huge advantage so much over our Northern VA teams and I think its a difference maker here.

Or I have no clue haha either way looking forward to a nice Saturday afternoon Playoff football game with my son over Thanksgiving weekend.

Reactions: OCBoy
I will be taking Champe in this game. And I think for once Salem learns how it feels to have to sit on those busses and travel the distance to go play a formidable opponent. I think Salem has had that huge advantage so much over our Northern VA teams and I think its a difference maker here.

Or I have no clue haha either way looking forward to a nice Saturday afternoon Playoff football game with my son over Thanksgiving weekend.
I know some Salem boys that are excited to travel! Home or away, they'll be ready! Last night's game was good for them.

Well, I hear ya. If we look at the results of those games, however, I have to wonder if the venue was a factor. In 2013, Dominion and Woodgrove lost down here by scores of 52-26 and 42-25, respectively. Neither team was ever in the game, and Salem would have won both of those games anywhere on the map. Last season, a physical Woodgrove team did a great job of coming into Salem Stadium and knocking the Spartans back on their heels - for two quarters. Games are four quarters long, however, and Salem had outscored Woodgrove 31-0 in the second half before the Wolverines added eight with twelve seconds to play, to make the final margin a more respectable 38-28. Salem probably would have won that one home or away, as well.

Going further back, Salem beat a good Park View team on a neutral field at JMU in 2000, in the state final; the year prior to that, the Spartans beat a great Park View team at the same venue. And going even further back, Salem beat George Marshall on a neutral field in Marshall's own back yard, in Fairfax in the '86 state semis.

So, in light of all that, I guess I would have to disagree that Salem has only beaten teams from what I understand as "Northern Virginia" (Loudoun, Fairfax, and PW counties, and the cities therein) because those teams have had to travel down here. I've said it before: I've seen all twenty road playoff games in SHS history, and I don't think travel or the venue (with one possible exception) has made the difference in the outcome of the game in any of them. Every Salem effort has been representative of that season's team.

I'm actually looking forward to the drive next Saturday. Good luck to both squads!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT