ADVERTISEMENT

Who pissed the refs off?

Jul 9, 2014
I am not sure what happened to make the refs mad, but in 32 years of watching high school football I have never seen a game called as bad as the Brookville Liberty game tonight. I have no dog in the fight but to see the game taken away from high school kids like that is bad. Talking crap and taunting high school kids as a ref is crazy. At the end of the day player safety should be the number one concern.

I have seen many of football games. That has to be the worst ever group of refs I have ever seen. Illegal man down field on a shotgun drop back pass?? Really.Three holding penalty in a row?? First time I have seen this group ref a game. Now I know why. They didn't know where to stand in a Time Out. Heck 1 ref was standing in the middle of the teams huddle. Liberty was running down the clock and going to call a time out. Watts informed the Line judge what he was doing. The ref still threw a flag for delay of game. Another ref had to tell him what was going on. Must have stopped by TGIF and had a few for pregame.

Reactions: lchscheer17
The missed calls are one thing everyone is human but the complete disregard for player safety telling players they won't get any calls because "they complained last week" chasing players onto the sideline to confront them has no place in high school football.

Only problem with that is the head of that association is one of the refs calling the games little hard to send in a complaint to the person who the complaint is about. I agree nothing will probably come of any from this its just hard to watch good kids get treated this way for no reason

Only problem with that is the head of that association is one of the refs calling the games little hard to send in a complaint to the person who the complaint is about. I agree nothing will probably come of any from this its just hard to watch good kids get treated this way for no reason

Actually Bobby Walker is the head of the COA and he was not reffing the game last night. You should email him of your concerns.

It would also be helpful if people would link to the game. Last year when Glass lost to Blacksburg in the playoffs, everyone talked about a terrible call. Eventually someone uploaded the video and the Glass fans were completely justified in their complaints.

Also, looked like Brookville clipped a lot of the flags from last night, and honestly, it makes the officials look a lot better than I thought from last night. Each of the holds that were in the clip look 100% justified. Some of the other questionable plays are tough to tell from the clip (illegal forward pass for example). Would have like to seen some no calls they disagreed with.
https://www.hudl.com/team/v2/32168/Boys-Varsity-Football

Not sure what you saw from the clip. You can call holding on every high school football if it is not affecting the play let it go. How the roughing the passer roughing the kicker pass interference wasn't called is crazy. Just don't get why the refs have it out for those kids this is not a one time thing.

Not sure what you saw from the clip. You can call holding on every high school football if it is not affecting the play let it go.

Agreed, but starting at the punt return with 2:10 into the clip, the outside man for Liberty, #7, is clearly being held when the Brookville return goes outside for a big return. Also, look at the punt return before that (1:35). You'll see #44 for Brookville dip into the back of 41. That clearly affected the play. The following play the DE (61) and OLB (7) both clearly get held (7 was even tackled!). No way the Brookville QB picks up that gain without those holds. It is embarassing that Brookville would include those plays to try to make the refs look bad. The following play was just a bad hit from behind by 81. That didn't affect the play but you can't let those things go. Not sure which roughing the passer you're referring to. Can't tell anything about PI from that vid either. That last pass play at 3:55, watch the LG. Liberty gets a sack if not for it. The more I watch it, the more I do think the illegal forward pass was an bad call. But most of those plays look a lot better for the officials on film than what I thought in the game.

Last edited:
It's amazing how the game looks from different angles. If anyone doesn't understand that then you should never ever complain.

A NFL ref who probably makes thousands a game was just fired this week and people want to go on a message board or in the stands and complain non stop about refs who may make $50-$60 for a game to listen to people constantly yell how bad they are.

Reactions: wikki
Actually Bobby Walker is the head of the COA and he was not reffing the game last night. You should email him of your concerns.

It would also be helpful if people would link to the game. Last year when Glass lost to Blacksburg in the playoffs, everyone talked about a terrible call. Eventually someone uploaded the video and the Glass fans were completely justified in their complaints.
The White Hat in the game is Bobby Walkers boss at B&W. Not much need to complain there. Will probably make things worse

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT