ADVERTISEMENT

Who wants the truth today?

Don't wait til 1300. Spill the beans now. Inquiring minds want to know.

Ha. Sorry guys. Got behind finishing my knitting.

Don't you love how news stations always have breaking news that turns out to be nothing. Well not going to happen here.

As I was walking out of the convocation center last night I talked with an 'old friend.' Our conversation later in this post.

First the game last night. What a great game. Now I will say again. It's over. Let's not talk about who wins the state title this year, its Lee. Let's talk about next year. Lee has proven that despite a lack of sideline presence, you get what I mean, Lee is way too good. As far as next year, lee will be better. Once George and Johnson leave and stop clogging up the lane,And shooting crazy shots, it will open it up for the best player on the court last night, Vaughan. Also with the news coming later, you will see why I believe Lee will win back to back.

Now to the news. I was told that former girls state champion coach at Lee, Jeremy Hartman, was contacted by officials at Lee about becoming the next coach at Lee. I was told that his son is a legit player coming up and he has been coaching a group from Staunton in AAU that has been very successful. I said I didn't believe it. I was told that a group of current players' parents have been meeting on the side about making this change. And have recently met with school board members.

Yea yea yea RE Lee is the best thing since sliced bread.....this is why the games are played! And I respect everyone's opinions, but come on! Obviously anyone is beatable on any given night!

Jeremy Hartman would certainly take Lee to the next level. I was wrong about Lee. They are the best team in the state. If they do not win the state title, something is very wrong.

How about they win it first. One of the worse feelings in the world, is eating crow.

I'll be honest, Lee wanted NO parts of Martinsville again!!!!!

Yep. I'm sure that's what they will be thinking as the hold the trophy up and the dawgs are home on the porch.

I was really hoping they would meet again in the state tournament, to be honest....think it would be one heck of a game!

You seem way different then all of these 'others' on here who sat on their couches with their inhalers. You seem to understand the game

Sorry gotta go. Check back after the game. I will be the one at the scorers table knitting. Knit one purl two is what I always say.

I played baseball. I coached rec basketball about 4 years. Keep your ears open for Magna Vista in about 2/3 years. Those are some of my players.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Ant, MV has some serious talent coming at the middle school level. If you had a hand in that you should be proud. Truth, are you talking about the MV shot to win state in 89? Talked to the guy who hit that shot not long ago. He also was an assistant coach on the MV state championship team in 98 that beat RE Lee and Liberty-Bedford on back to back nights. Liberty was going for a 3-peat that year. Had a relative on that team. Memories......

Yes, I coached about 1/2 the players on LP's team. Magna Vista will be a force to be reckoned with in the upcoming years.

If you want some more truth for you today...

I am a "relative" to some folk in the Lee community. Story I heard was that Hartmen spoke to the young men on the Lee team before the game last night. When one of the players was asked what was said, they said that he said a few words to keep them calm and focused. When asked how the players responded, one of the players said, "It's Coach Hartmen. When he speaks, we listen."

Interesting considering the intel that was shared today. Take it for what its worth.

I think Lee has alot of individual talent.....But as far as a total team I think DR is more talented across the board and has better guys coming off the bench. And there's not a doubt in my mind who the better rebounding and scrapping team is. George and Vaughn better stay out of foul trouble tonight against the Cats.

I refrained from commenting on this until the season was over so, now that it is...

1. I have never been contacted by anyone at Lee about taking over the boys job. They have a coach in place and his last name is Hatcher. Hatcher is synonymous with Lee High. With JPH winning a title last night, I find it highly unlikely that administration would be willing to make a change. There would likely be a riot if they did. Bottom line, it's not happening.

2. If a group of parents is supposedly going to the school board about a change then it was done so without my knowledge. Staunton is a basketball town. I hear people talk all the time about this needs to happen and that needs to happen. In fact, there were people calling for my job at times and we were in the state finals or state semis for 4 straight years. It is what it is. However, having worked in public education for the last 14 years, it's not as easy as going to the school board to make a change. It doesn't work like that so I would consider that to be false as well.

3. My son is a pretty good little player. He's 12 and in the 7th grade. He's about 6 feet tall already and wears a size 14 shoe. He has a lot of ability but there's still work to be done and we're in the gym daily getting it done.

4. I do coach my son's AAU team and most of the kids on the team will be Lee kids. They're a pretty good group and have grown by leaps and bounds since I started coaching them 2 years ago. We do have a kid that will play for Wilson and a kid that will go to Stuarts Draft. The rest will likely end up at Lee aside from my son and one other player. They'll be a handful at the high school level and no...I'm pretty sure I won't be coaching them when they get there.

5. I appreciate people supporting me and thinking I'm a good coach. It's very flattering. However, I understand how coaching works and you can't make everyone happy all the time so there's always people that want coaches fired. But, and this is from the horses mouth, I have not been and likely will never be contacted about ever taking over at Lee so please let this die.

Let's enjoy the accomplishment these young men just achieved and celebrate them for our community. Thanks!

Ant, MV has some serious talent coming at the middle school level. If you had a hand in that you should be proud. Truth, are you talking about the MV shot to win state in 89? Talked to the guy who hit that shot not long ago. He also was an assistant coach on the MV state championship team in 98 that beat RE Lee and Liberty-Bedford on back to back nights. Liberty was going for a 3-peat that year. Had a relative on that team. Memories......

Good memories. Those Liberty teams were our idols as children growing up in Bedford. I was 9-10 the year we lost going for the 3-peat. I remember we had won the previous two titles over Lakeland 53-50 in 96 and Spotswood 77-70 in 97, both games were played at LU Vines Center. The tourney got moved the next year to Norfolk Scope. I remember I missed a chance to defend my school spelling bee championship to leave school early and travel to Norfolk for the games. Wasn't even a question for me which was more important. That Magna Vista team was very tough, still think we were better, just didn't bring our A-game that night. I remember a MV player getting a steal and breakaway layup with the Warriors clinging to a 70-67 in the final seconds. MV added another FT after we missed a 3-point attempt to win 73-67 if my memory serves me correct.

Liberty was 102-8 from 95-98 with 4 straight final four's. 24-5 in 95(Northside beat us the state semi's, also in region champ), 25-0 in 96, 28-1 in 97, 27-2 in 98. Over the course of the final three years, Magna Vista was the only VA public school to beat us. The other two losses came in the heralded Arby's classic to Elizabethtown(TN) in 97 and powerhouse Oak Hill Academy in the same tourney in 98. Oak Hill's 81-63 win over us was the only game during those 4 years that we lost by double digits.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Great post Coach Hartman!! Would you ever coach at the high school level again someday...if that itch was there? I know a lot of girls and guys programs who would love to have a coach like you leading their program.

With that being said...I agree Coach Hatcher is Lee's coach and I for one hope he's there for a long time! People can say all kinds of things but...when that coach brings the title back to Staunton...it's time to celebrate and support him and the program!

I have a feeling Lee is going to be making a lot of noise next year and in the years to come!

Thank you for what you did for the Lee Ladies and the memories and title you brought to Staunton. If that door ever opens again...sure would be nice to see you on the sideline!

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
Good memories. Those Liberty teams were our idols as children growing up in Bedford. I was 9-10 the year we lost going for the 3-peat. I remember we had won the previous two titles over Lakeland 53-50 in 96 and Spotswood 77-70 in 97, both games were played at LU Vines Center. The tourney got moved the next year to Norfolk Scope. I remember I missed a chance to defend my school spelling bee championship to leave school early and travel to Norfolk for the games. Wasn't even a question for me which was more important. That Magna Vista team was very tough, still think we were better, just didn't bring our A-game that night. I remember a MV player getting a steal and breakaway layup with the Warriors clinging to a 70-67 in the final seconds. MV added another FT after we missed a 3-point attempt to win 73-67 if my memory serves me correct.

Liberty was 102-8 from 95-98 with 4 straight final four's. 24-5 in 95 (Northside beat us the state semi's, also in region champ), 25-0 in 96, 28-1 in 97, 27-2 in 98. Over the course of the final three years, Magna Vista was the only VA public school to beat us. The other two losses cae in the heralded Arby's classic to Elizabethtown(TN) in 97 and powerhouse Oak Hill Academy in the same tourney in 98. Oak Hill's 81-63 win over us was the only game during those 4 years that we lost by double digits.

I was at the 1998 game between Liberty and Magna Vista at the Norfolk Scope and the Liberty coach kept zone pressing MV and they just lobbed the ball over the top the entire game. He never changed it up. His zone press did not stop MV and they ran all over the court. With that zone press not working. Liberty was stunned and had to play straight basketball, MV had very good players (good guards) and Milner killed them down low.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT