ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be number one seed in west ? Math

freeatlast2013

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 23, 2013
If top 3 teams win out ?
John Champe currently 250 points with 56 on current wins of 2 remaining teams equals 306 divided by 10 is 30.6

Jefferson Forest currently has 240 points with 66 on remaining teams equals 306 divided by 10 equals 30.6

Salem currently has 210 points with 64 points on remaining teams equals 274 divided by 9 equals 30.44

One of Jefferson Forest remainng teams , Brookville has already played 9 games though , so that will reduce their rider points by 2 . Due to that Salem and Jefferson Forest are basically tied ! Remember the assumption that all teams win out . So, the number one seed will come down to rider points . I am more informed with Salem and Jefferson forest schedule and teams so that plays into upcoming analysis . Besides district play , the two teams that JF played that are different than Salem are Magna Vista and William Fleming . Magna Vista has Tunstall and GW Danville . That is 2 to 4 rider points with the GW game being the big one . WF has Allegheny and Northside . That is probably 2 points as I do not think Fleming will beat Northside . That is 4 to 6 points for JF .
Salem played William Byrd and Northside . Byrd has Botetourt and Rockbridge . That is 2 to 4 points but Botetourt is good ! Northside has Fleming and that is all . That is probably 2 points for Salem . That is 4 to 6 points for Salem .

Big final games are Byrd vs Botetourt . Byrd win would be big for Salem and is plausible but I am betting on Botetourt but will be close probably !

Another one is Magna Vista vs GW Danville ! If Magna Vista wins , it will be huge for JF ! Another 2 points !

Another big one will be Staunton River vs Botetourt . A Staunton River win will be huge for JF . My guess is Botetourt as they are very physical team .

The district games will be washes for the most part so these will come down to rider points . Jefferson Forest and Salem will be very tight for points . One game could tilt the numbers , especially the three I mentioned . What if they end up tied . Salem 9 games vs 10 games . JF is probably a slight , very slight favorite in my calculations , and that being said , I am ignorant about John Champe so they could win it ! Based upon what I am thinking John Champe may have more district games and automatic points from wins so I think they are in driver seat but if above games tilt one way , that could make big difference ! Maybe Matt could shed some light !

Last edited:
I feel you ! I have a little nerd in me but I am betting on John Champe as number one seed in west overall but it could be a tie !

Last edited:
Here is some help for a stat man:

John Champe still has 2-6 Loudoun County next week & most likely 4-5 Freedom the last week of season, a rivalry game. County finishes the season with Heritage- Leesburg so most likely they stay at 2 wins, BUT County vs. Heritage is a decent rivalry game so anything is possible!

I hope this helps. We have a stat wizard parent at Woodgrove; I will reach out to him to see if he has run the numbers with Friday nights games included....

Last edited:
I went through this same exercise last week, asking "What if Salem, John Champe, and JF all win their final three games?" I also included Sherando, but they're out of this discussion now. I came up with Salem and JF being in a virtual deadlock, just ahead of JC.

As freeatlast touched upon, how each team's non-district opponents perform is going to be a big factor. Salem versus JF boils down to the duo of Byrd/Northside (for Salem) out-pointing Fleming/Staunton River/Magna Vista (for JF). This week, LB at Byrd is huge, as is Alleghany at Fleming. John Champe's non-district opponents are Skyline and Spring Mills (WV), so they'll benefit from whatever wins those two teams can manage.

IF Salem takes care of business the next two weeks, they'll get a big bonus point bump from Pulaski Co.

At this point, I think the most likely finish is: JF, Salem, JC, Woodgrove. The next most likely finish: Salem, JF, JC, Woodgrove. It's still too close to call, with way too many moving parts involved. We'll just have to stay in the moment and enjoy all the games and drama the final two weeks have to offer.

Disclaimer: I could be completely wrong.

Another Disclaimer: I don't do drama; drama is for women.... :)
I will go with excitement!

Also, don't count Sherando out; if they beat Millbrook last game of year they could sneak back into 4 seed?

One last thing:

HAIL SKINS!!!!!

Reactions: mike salem
We are just talking about seeds , not the best team as that will be decided on field !

Another Disclaimer: I don't do drama; drama is for women.... :)
I will go with excitement!

Also, don't count Sherando out; if they beat Millbrook last game of year they could sneak back into 4 seed?

One last thing:

HAIL SKINS!!!!!

The top four seeds are going to be so tightly bunched, I'm thinking Friday's loss probably killed Sherando's chances of being in that group (if all the others win out). Again, don't chisel that in stone.

The top four seeds are going to be so tightly bunched, I'm thinking Friday's loss probably killed Sherando's chances of being in that group (if all the others win out). Again, don't chisel that in stone.
Good to see you posting more Spartan of Yore!

How would this have changed had Salem actually played Carroll County?

The point total would have dropped Salem's average down, likely to the #3 or #4 seed.

Additionally, it cost every Salem opponent one point in their totals (assuming that Salem would have won).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT