ADVERTISEMENT

Who y’all got?

Definitely GC and Radford. GC is the hands down favorite to win it all and Radford is undefeated, Martinsville doesn't have a prayer. 26 point dog on the early betting line.

Lol here we go again, woe is Mavahi! But it will be tough to get back up after such a draining game tonight.

I'll go w GC/Radford.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Radford by 15 points. GC by 6 points. Radford isn't Dan River (no offense to DR) but Radford is as smooth and cool as the other side of the pillow, meaning.........they aren't coming unglued down the stretch. They might be the very best Coached team in AA, and that means, you better be Better than them in order to beat them. They normally don't lose games to teams that are simply not flat out better than them over the years. Martinsville isn't better and they will get beat.

GC will play the second best Defensive team it will have played all season. The teams from TN and Louisville and Ohio did NOT play the level of defense that Graham does. They were Better overall teams likely compared to Graham, but not defensively. North Meck was certainly better defensively and overall than Graham.

Dean will be the key in this game. McClung won't get 40, but he will get his 35, but Ervin is a nice driver and he loves to drive and kick it out. With a big focus on McClung, Ervin will have lots of touches and he'll kick the ball to a wide open Dean. If he's on, it's over. If he's not on, it could get somewhat close. Dean is going to get some wide open shots in this game. I got GC winning 65-55 to 65-59. Somewhere in that range.

Last edited:
Reactions: toughy299
Radford will have their hands full tonite. Anyone that follows 2A ball knows that Dan River and Martinsville have slug fests when they play. If it happened to be Dan River that Radford was playing instead of Martinsville tonite, they still would have been in for a game. Glenvar, isn't as good as Dan River or Martinsville. Radford is about to play one of the BIG DOGS ( Dawgs ) of 2A. Radford is the favorite but we'll see how it plays out.

You're rite Radford ain't Dan River. DR only lost 2 games all year until last nite. There's not much of a difference between no Ls and 2 Ls. No one expected Glenvar to beat Radford. The Dawgs and Cats are a different story, it's a coin toss. I really wished that Martinsville and DR played during the regular season.

Antz, it's well known that Martinsville is a bad outfit and powerhouse for a long time, and DR is also very very tough, but I think Martinsville is playing the state champions tonight. Only my opinion here, but I scribed this in early January and I'm sticking to it in that......Radford is going to win the state championship. Again, only my opinion.

Antz, why in the heck do those 2 not play in regular season? That makes zero sense to me, but again, I'm looking at it from a distance, so I don't know the intricate details. Radford has been obliterating opponents since Christmas. With Martinsvilles history and talent, would I be surprised or shocked if they beat Radford tonight? Nope. Martinsville seems to have, or at least close to having the talent to win the title about every year and it's been that way for a long time. I just think Radford has a wicked special, talented, and always....perfectly coached team this year. That's why I'm picking them.

The record (combined) of Dan Rivers opponents prior to playing Martinsville is 120 wins and 167 losses, or to divide as if it were one team, it's 12 wins and 16.7 losses. I know GW and MV are solid, but the overall schedule of opponents for DR is not that strong for this year. Most of the teams they play are much better year in and out, but most of them struggled this year.

Reactions: AntGZee
I do agree there. I see that you did your research. I too think that we played a tougher schedule than Dan River. The DR Wildcats were taken out of the Piedmont District and placed in the Dogwood many years ago. Radford, I'm well of their team, talent and tradition. I respect Radford's program. Much like Dan River, we've had some epic battles with Radford as well.

Question. Who had more size between DR and Martinsville? Also I think Mville is a better matchup for Radford. DR had only 5 players score last night while 7 contributed for Martinsville. Mville weathered the storm, they bend but never break. Also, what was DR thinking on that last possession? I’m real close with one of the Magna Vista assistants and he flat out said DR gave the game away. That’s not playoff basketball. Don’t give Martinsville a chance, they’ll make you pay EVERY TIME! Martinsville is Radford’s kryptonite. Yeah, Radford’s good but this is Martinsville time of the year. No regional championship or district championship banners, only states..Remember that.

DSH, we have had slug fests with Radford over the past 3 years. I'm excited about this match up. We didn't play our best basketball last nite and I give credit to DR for that. DR is a worthy opponent. I'm sure there are other teams in 2A that are glad they don't have to face them. DR is physical, athletic and a proven winner. They did win that chip back in 2013 undefeated. They have been in the hunt ever since then.

Last edited:
How's the player from Martinsville who got hurt against Giles doing? (EJ Bratcher)

Did he play last night against DR?

Is he almost back to 100% yet?

Radford has done it almost everything in high school basketball except go undefeated. They will run the table this season. Plus there isn't a senior on the team.

EJ Bratcher is doing well. He played last nite. His offensive rebound, put back and 1 gave us a huge opportunity to win the game last nite. EJ is a fiend on the boards and a very good defender. He's a big reason for the Dawgs success. Toughy299, we all know that Radford has no seniors. We've played them the last 3 years. We're well aware of the underclassmen. I'm a fan of Quinton Morton-Robertson when he's not playing against my Dawgs.

The record (combined) of Dan Rivers opponents prior to playing Martinsville is 120 wins and 167 losses, or to divide as if it were one team, it's 12 wins and 16.7 losses. I know GW and MV are solid, but the overall schedule of opponents for DR is not that strong for this year. Most of the teams they play are much better year in and out, but most of them struggled this year.

Radford's regular season opponents won 10.7 times to 13.8 losses. 11 (half of their regular season game opponents) won less than 10 games. Dan River's opponents don't look so bad now.

Not saying the Dogs should be the favorite. Should be far from it. The Bobcats are undefeated and are the #1 seed for a reason. They have alot of talent and also are back to back state champions in 1A. But with all that being said they have played Mavahi 4 times in the last 2 years and are 1-3 against them. The Dogs may get beat by 50 but they will play hard and if they can keep it close watch out at the end, they have a habit of pulling out miracles. Right pizzzzza? Oh and for Big Winners, the line has dropped to Martinsville +19. lol

Didn't know they have no seniors. Gonna be tough to go undefeated
Radford's regular season opponents won 10.7 times to 13.8 losses. 11 (half of their regular season game opponents) won less than 10 games. Dan River's opponents don't look so bad now.

Good research and I don't disagree. Numbers are what they are. I assumed Radford didn't play the schedule of Dan River, but had no idea as to Radford's strength of schedule. It looks like theirs and Dan Rivers are pretty similar.

One thing of importance few have pointed out. This is 2018 and Radford has one of its better teams. Radford and Martinsville aren't the same two teams of years past for 2018. I don't question Martinsvilles history either, because it's more special than any other AA team, if not ALL teams in VA, but............Radford has one of its best teams and Martinsville has a solid tram, but still slightly....very slightly down by their standards.

Never..........and I repeat....never discount ANY Martinsville team come post-season.

It doesn't matter the record or even if a team 'appears' to be more talented.

Never count the DAWGS out against anyone this time of the year!

And yes hrsepasture1.......you are so right!

You're the man pizzzzza! You are the man... Good luck to the Leemen the rest of the way. Some good natured ribbing goes a long way to making this board enjoyable for me. To many get way to serious and defensive and forget that these kids play hard for their communities and sometimes come up short of their goals. Wish everybody could keep things in perspective like you do. All about memories, some good some bad, but mostly good.

Not saying the Dogs should be the favorite. Should be far from it. The Bobcats are undefeated and are the #1 seed for a reason. They have alot of talent and also are back to back state champions in 1A. But with all that being said they have played Mavahi 4 times in the last 2 years and are 1-3 against them. The Dogs may get beat by 50 but they will play hard and if they can keep it close watch out at the end, they have a habit of pulling out miracles. Right pizzzzza? Oh and for Big Winners, the line has dropped to Martinsville +19. lol

It's down to +19? I better run to my bookmaker and get the Dogs now before it falls even further lol.

In all honesty, I'd set lines close to Radford (-6) and O/U at 110. And honestly? I may take Mavahi +6. They seem to be clicking right now.

It's down to +19? I better run to my bookmaker and get the Dogs now before it falls even further lol.

In all honesty, I'd set lines close to Radford (-6) and O/U at 110. And honestly? I may take Mavahi +6. They seem to be clicking right now.

110?
Definitely under

I'm picking Gate City & Radford. Graham is a strong defensive team so they will make Mac & GC earn their win but I still think GC wins by 12-18 points.

Radford will blow Martinsville out of the building in my opinion. They should win by more than GC beats Graham. I'm saying Radford by 20-25.

The only way either Graham or Martinsville will be capable of beating their opponents will happen is if GC and/or Radford is off their game. That's the only way but with GC they have the best player in the state to rescue them even if Graham could make it close.

Martinsville would have the better chance at the upset over Radford but I just don't see it happening either.

I'm picking Gate City & Radford. Graham is a strong defensive team so they will make Mac & GC earn their win but I still think GC wins by 12-18 points.

Radford will blow Martinsville out of the building in my opinion. They should win by more than GC beats Graham. I'm saying Radford by 20-25.

The only way either Graham or Martinsville will be capable of beating their opponents will happen is if GC and/or Radford is off their game. That's the only way but with GC they have the best player in the state to rescue them even if Graham could make it close.

Martinsville would have the better chance at the upset over Radford but I just don't see it happening either.

Your name says it all, Radford is very good and may beat Martinsville but I doubt very seriously it will be a blowout. As far as the other game I don't have any guesses on it. I do think a region C will be in the finals at VCU .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT