ADVERTISEMENT

Why do some people always say -

hamspear

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2009
Arrowhead stadium
" they were the better team TODAY"? How about they were just the better team Period? If you lost , the other team is just better, especially if it isn't close. Admit your defeat, not today , but tomorrow or next week would be the same.

That one was for me I guess

I personally think that game was closer than the final score indicated. LT controlled the game but they didn't dominate. Salem moved the ball on them consistently for most of the game, the LT defense came through with their backs against the wall. IF Salem had won today, I would have said the same thing, that they were the better team today. I make that statement when I think the two teams are pretty evenly matched. If Coleman Fox was healthy, these two teams would be fairly evenly matched. Clayborn did well but he isn't Fox and not having Fox as a receiver was critical today, Coulling only had Parker to throw too. Take Johnson away from LT offense and they aren't the same, Devils would probably agree with me on that. I'm not a Salem fan but a football fan. My football eyes say LT was better today, by a good margin but not enough for me to say if they played 10 times, LT would never lose. It wasn't 56-14 and Salem wasn't held under 200 yards, so again, LT was the better team today. Their offense was dominant today. Good enough response?

Re: That one was for me I guess

Was not 56-14, but LT isn't Dinwiddie 2013 either, score doesn't matter, circumstances don't matter. You get beat by more than two Td's , the better team won. everyday, not just TODAY. In my book.

Hmm, so which team is better between Giles and Glenvar? Giles wins 33-0 in regular season and Glenvar wins 35-0 in playoffs. So by your logic they are both better. Remember you just said if a team wins by 2 TD's or more the better team won, not just TODAY. Guess that thinking is kind of flawed

I guess you are still stinging from that field goal that you missed a couple years back. figures you would take the opportunity to get back at salem Fans one way our another for it that,s sad. LoL sorry had to be said you simply hate Salem and that's fine. Sour Grapes hamspear

This post was edited on 12/13 7:33 PM by homeNabroad

Read that again Hammy

"score doesn't matter" followed by " you get beat by more than two tds, the better team won, everyday, not just today". But you just said the score doesn't matter. Your book and my book are written differently, agree to disagree here. But your statement is a bit confusing.

Re: Read that again Hammy

So what you are saying is one man- that if LT and Salem played again tomorrow , we would see another result?

What you talking about a field goal? Lol I have no sour grapes about anything, just don't like it when fans of a team don't admit defeat ,and that they were not as a good of team. There is no better team TODAy, there is the better team period . This game wasn't close just like last year. Stop making excuses.

Yes

I'm not saying the result "would" be different but rather it "could" be different if that makes sense. LT could have played like they did last week and they would have lost. If they had lost to Monacan I would have said Monacan was the better team that day. People kept saying LT got lucky last week, I think Monacan got lucky last week, LT fumbled twice inside the ten, got called for holding that negated another TD and then missed two PATs and game winning FG. To me, all that adds up to Monacan being more lucky than LT that all those chips fell that way, unfortunately for Monacan, LT caught the final break and still won but LT could have easily beat them by a couple TDs. Monacan was actually the better team that last weekend but they still didn't win. I personally think your reading into that "better team today" statement a bit too much.

Originally posted by hamspear:
What you talking about a field goal? Lol I have no sour grapes about anything, just don't like it when fans of a team don't admit defeat ,and that they were not as a good of team. There is no better team TODAy, there is the better team period . This game wasn't close just like last year. Stop making excuses.
Where are you seeing excuses Ham? Every single Salem poster has congratulated LT and said they were the better team. You are splitting hairs over how that was said.

Re: Yes

Just disagree, , when someone says " they were the better team today" it is a sign of not admitting defeat, or like saying if we played tomorrow we would get you ! That is not the case this year , and not the case last year. The North has a long way to go, to catch up to the South. Today , tomorrow , and next week.

If Lake Taylor and Salem played tomorrow LT would be favored to win just like they were favored to win today. The outcome quite possibly would remain the same. Guess we will never know. Congrats LT!

I hate to agree w/ you on anything hammy, please ignore him & he
might go away. We don't claim him.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's an attempt to be a gracious loser, and maybe a promise to try and test you again next year. I just choose to accept similar phrases that way. It keeps me out of fist fights.

It's a euphemism, but it's also statistically nice (I say that as a statistician--the mathematics kind). One game result is just a piece of data and mathematically it really doesn't PROVE who is better. Plus, we've all seen games where one team won big in the first matchup and then in the playoffs it flip-flopped (see Giles and Glenvar).

I don't have any problem saying your team is better than my team, when your team beats mine. I am not trying to make a mathematically specific statement, and it's probably easier for me to say that than for some people precisely because I know exactly what one game proves.

I am excited that Bird won the last three state championships, for example, but I am under no delusion that they would beat 2012 Ocean Lakes, 2013 Briar Woods or 2014 Tuscarora every time if they had played multiple times. I'm just happy Bird seemed to have the play when they needed to.

If my team wins, there's not much you can say to get under my skin, if we lose; I'm certainly not going to talk trash. I just accept the win and throw out some numbers every now and then that I think makes my team look good, but you don't have to believe I would beat you the next time, because I beat you this time, and this is the only time that matters.

I do feel like football players should have a lot more respect for one another. You all endure the same kind of stuff and nobody understands what you go through like another player. Shake hands when it's over, say good job, and get about the business of being even better next year. When you get to be my age and start talking about what your football team did in high school you get a lot of looks like you're Al Bundy.

The standard deviation in high school football games is about 14-15 points. What that means is that there is about a 2/3 chance that today's scored difference is within 14 or 15 points of the actual difference between the teams. This difference was bigger, but by no means enough for us to be SURE Lake Taylor would usually win. For instance, if you told me I had a soda in my hand that would be the most fantastic thing I ever tasted, but you were only as sure it wouldn't kill me as we are statistically sure the best team was the one that won a particular football game by 28 points, there's no way I'd drink that nectar.

Actually. Special teams play - or lack thereof - accounted for most of LT's points, or at least the ones that counted.

Not punting the first two drives, giving LT great field position didn't help. Having to go for FG inside the red zone didn't help. And the punt return was the straw.

This is your topic of the day? Really? You need to relax and watch a western movie or something.

None of you seem to be taking into account that some teams for various reasons improve thru the season, while some teams regress due to injuries, events that lessen team chemistry, and other factors. Weather can aid an lesser team ( a superior team with a great passing attack and a really good running game that would have won easily, can have their passing game negated by cold rain and wind, and mud, and then lose to a close game, to a one dimensional team with good running game and no pass defense whatsoever.) Yes, the inferior team that won that day, was the better team that day, but under different circumstances they would have gotten destroyed.

One play could could result in a 14 point swing in a game ( example: an interception returned for a touchdown, could be the result of interference that prevented a touchdown and wasn't called, or ....an interception returned for a touchdown is called back, when there was no interference, and then after the penalty, the offense scores). and I've seen these two examples happen more than once. This is why I generally don't consider games a blowout unless the differential is at least 19 points.

Originally posted by rickyw:
None of you seem to be taking into account that some teams for various reasons improve thru the season, while some teams regress due to injuries, events that lessen team chemistry, and other factors. Weather can aid an lesser team ( a superior team with a great passing attack and a really good running game that would have won easily, can have their passing game negated by cold rain and wind, and mud, and then lose to a close game, to a one dimensional team with good running game and no pass defense whatsoever.) Yes, the inferior team that won that day, was the better team that day, but under different circumstances they would have gotten destroyed.

One play could could result in a 14 point swing in a game ( example: an interception returned for a touchdown, could be the result of interference that prevented a touchdown and wasn't called, or ....an interception returned for a touchdown is called back, when there was no interference, and then after the penalty, the offense scores). and I've seen these two examples happen more than once. This is why I generally don't consider games a blowout unless the differential is at least 19 points.
Great post.

If you use the logic of some of the posters here Glenvar beating Giles in a rematch would have been impossible. A 60 point swing between the two games? No way!

You missed the ENTIRE point of my post. I wasn't saying that either team was better or teams couldn't improve etc, I was pointing out how crazy Hamspear's statement was. By his logic Giles was the better team just because they won by more than 2 TD's and not just that day, but were just better. They play again and a completely different outcome and by his logic Glenvar is better. From his statement you can't get better or have a different outcome, I was showing him that you can

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT