ADVERTISEMENT

Why is the 4A game at 5:30

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
And the 6A/2A games are 4:30. It’s always been 4:30 every year why the change just for this game? Vhsl money hungry?

Wasn't last year the first year at W&M? From what I hear there are parking issues, yes? Perhaps the hour later start is to allow the 3A crowd to disperse more and open up spots for the Louisa/Salem people? If not there is a reason that they learned from last year. If it was the same there would be people on here complaining that they had the same problems last year and those idiots don't learn. I'm one of the last to defend the VHSL but it's also a pretty thankless job.

Should move games back to Liberty University.
A different thread mentioned the promotion or allowance (I forget which) of open carry on LU's campus that caused them to move. I'll go ahead and open this can of worms though:
Was it that or was it LCA threatening to sue VHSL to be allowed to play in the public school leagues?

Reactions: 44kennedy
About the concealed carry thing, liberty university being a Christian school could be a target for radical Islamic terrorist, #preparedness

A different thread mentioned the promotion or allowance (I forget which) of open carry on LU's campus that caused them to move. I'll go ahead and open this can of worms though:
Was it that or was it LCA threatening to sue VHSL to be allowed to play in the public school leagues?
It was also because LCA is the VHSL, they would have a home game on their turf if they made it that far. That would definitely not be fair. No team can play on their home field

Reactions: Louisadad
Some liberal snowflake from northern VA. was scared to come to LU for a VHSL Debate championship. LU is the safest college campus in Virginia. VHSL has basketball at VCU
Check crime stats of VCU and compare to LU.

How many different threads are you going to post that the games should be at Liberty? We get it, you like Liberty. It makes it better for YOU. The only time you complain about something is when it doesn't agree with your thought. It's not what is best for the teams or their fans, it only matters for you. You have posted in every classification I have seen the games should be at Liberty, even saying ALL games should be back at Liberty. Even though ALL were never there.

I'm going to make some calls tomorrow. I will get in touch with every head coach playing this weekend. I will get them and the VHSL to agree to move all 6 games to Liberty (or Gretna, your choice). I will also get all of them to run a spread, no team is allowed to run ball more than 10 times, no player can come over to sideline for a play call, and no timeouts in the last 5 seconds of play clock. Also, the concessions stand is only allowed to sell certain food, and nobody is allowed to go to anything but fast food.

Oh, I forgot the most important things. Nobody is allowed to wear anything UVA related, can't even mention UVA name, and the winning teams have to change their name to begin with a G.

Did I miss anything @Hampton Roads 6

How many different threads are you going to post that the games should be at Liberty? We get it, you like Liberty. It makes it better for YOU. The only time you complain about something is when it doesn't agree with your thought. It's not what is best for the teams or their fans, it only matters for you. You have posted in every classification I have seen the games should be at Liberty, even saying ALL games should be back at Liberty. Even though ALL were never there.

I'm going to make some calls tomorrow. I will get in touch with every head coach playing this weekend. I will get them and the VHSL to agree to move all 6 games to Liberty (or Gretna, your choice). I will also get all of them to run a spread, no team is allowed to run ball more than 10 times, no player can come over to sideline for a play call, and no timeouts in the last 5 seconds of play clock. Also, the concessions stand is only allowed to sell certain food, and nobody is allowed to go to anything but fast food.

Oh, I forgot the most important things. Nobody is allowed to wear anything UVA related, can't even mention UVA name, and the winning teams have to change their name to begin with a G.

Did I miss anything @Hampton Roads 6
That’s hilarious

It actually did although not in this article. Once LCA gets their own venue which is in the plans, LU will not be their field.
Can a team play the state game on THEIR home field?

Some liberal snowflake from northern VA. was scared to come to LU for a VHSL Debate championship. LU is the safest college campus in Virginia. VHSL has basketball at VCU
Check crime stats of VCU and compare to LU.
VCU is a safe place. Is it as safe as Liberty? Nope. I’d be more worried about safety at Hampton or ODU then I would be at VCU.

It was also because LCA is the VHSL, they would have a home game on their turf if they made it that far. That would definitely not be fair. No team can play on their home field
Yea the odds of LCA getting to state in 4A are worse than my chance to hit there powerball this week

Reactions: wikki
Game starts at 5:30 for the reasons @VAHSFootballFan said. Parking is atrocious and it is to allow parking to open up. VHSL does have a thankless job but at the same time they should’ve toured the venue at W&M and saw the problems with parking.
Thanks for confirming @catchtds. We live in such a long state you really can't make everyone happy. IMO I don't think we need 6 public school champions. Three maybe four at the most. Fewer games means fewer venues to secure. We might even not have 0-10 and 1-9 teams in the play-offs. Crazy I know.

May need to reevaluate everything. Weather starting to look iffy
Yep- forecast now is snow showers in the morning and turning cold in the afternoon/evening, down to 29. If that snow comes a little later everyone will slide on the turf.

Yep- forecast now is snow showers in the morning and turning cold in the afternoon/evening, down to 29. If that snow comes a little later everyone will slide on the turf.
Will effect crowd. Salem has an older crowd. They are not going to drive 4 hours in possible snow. Then sitting in temperatures below freezing becomes very problematic for some. Should not have any game this time of year that starts after 3. Bad planning. Poor thinking

The VHSL has been around since 1913 if my memory is correct. One would like to think they would have figured out how to schedule and select venues with over 100 years experience. I think there's a rule somewhere within VHSL that forbids utilizing common sense.

Can a team play the state game on THEIR home field?
I believe there is a rule that prohibits this but if the games were still at LU and LCA made the Class 4 championship, they would just move that game to a different venue. The decision to move the games from LU had nothing to do with LCA, It was because of LU allowing open/concealed carry on campus.

I heard today that William and Mary is going to be charging for parking therefor they are trying to cash in on more cars with a later start time

how about just taking it back the way it was, Let Region A or B winner host one year then the winner of C or D the next. No stadiums to rent . And if you don't like the host stadium or bleachers keep your candy asses at home. I've been part of 3 state championship games in this system it works fine.

Last edited:
I believe there is a rule that prohibits this but if the games were still at LU and LCA made the Class 4 championship, they would just move that game to a different venue. The decision to move the games from LU had nothing to do with LCA, It was because of LU allowing open/concealed carry on campus.
Not going to say anymore about it, I know what some people said. They cannot just move a game of that importance that fast because of several reasons.

Reactions: Gunz41
how about just taking it back the way it was, Let Region A or B winner host one year then the winner of C or D the next. No stadiums to rent . And if you don't like the host stadium or bleachers keep your candy asses at home. I've been part of 3 state championship games in this system it works fine.

THIS ALL DAY!!!

Not going to say anymore about it, I know what some people said. They cannot just move a game of that importance that fast because of several reasons.

@wikki is right. While certainly a game can be moved like the talk earlier in season, the reasons games would have been moved is because of travel, so not the same situation.

Unless something changes after this year, the VHSL has contracts with the 3 stadiums, which this year is Salem, William and Mary, and Hampton.

I only know of LCA because of what has been written on here over the years. But IF they were to be in championship game, moving them would probably displace 4 teams with more travel. And just imagine if it were last year, Salem and LCA could have been playing each other with the cross bracketing. So if Salem and Liberty were 2 of the locations, it could have displaced all 6 teams. Yes a lot of ifs and buts.

There is absolutely no way to make everything perfect, and things should be about the kids and teams playing, but it's unrealistic to switch a game that close to game. Teams have to have arrangements to travel, stay, etc. Imagine Salem (being there the last 4 years) having everything set up in the event they make it (reservations and the like), then today (Monday before the game) everything is changed. That costs the team a lot of money and aggregation.

I dont know what the answer is for the best locations. It would be better for some to be somewhere but not for others. There is also the issues for the FCS teams with playoffs and hosting. The universities are thinking about themselves and rightfully so. I dont know the price to rent the fields and all, but maybe there is a way to have a tentative agreement to have multiple fields secured?

What I would hate to see is a situation where teams are penalizes because of where they live, the size of their school, or the size of their fan base. In my probably meaningless opinion, these games with a set location with a good bit of distance should ONLY be played on Saturday. If it is different, it is putting the kids/schools/fan bases in a scenario where some have to choose between school/work/church and give them less time to prepare. It doesn't matter if you were to rotate who plays at different times, because that team is unique and are being punished thst year.

Reactions: OCBoy
I have always had to pay to watch high school football.
They have used other high schools before years back. 1995 Amherst played Sherando at Brookville and years ago Brookville played a region game at Amherst because of their field conditions. We liked it because we made a lot of money for concessions

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT