Why is the 4A game at 5:30

Discussion in 'Class 4A (Fall)' started by OCBoy, Dec 3, 2017.

1. panther308

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah if true thats a crock of crap! Nothing but trying to cash in on the deal with a good crowd. Is that for sure?

2. Lafayette

Lafayette VaPreps All District
    Expand Collapse

Living here in Williamsburg I find it incredible that a championship game involving Salem would start as late as 5:30. Games ends about 8, with ending celebrations and parking on the road at 9 on I 64 and nearly 4 hours drive in the dark. Home about 1AM????
    1997- Lafayette/Salem at Turner Ashby. Was fine by me.

OCBoy likes this.
  3. OCBoy

OCBoy VaPreps All Region
    Expand Collapse

Not sure if it’s trye or not it was someone’s response when I asked

4. VolNation85

VolNation85 VaPreps Varsity
    Expand Collapse

They were going to do that this year if Staunton River would have won last week. They were going go move their game to Salem. Just saying it could be done.

SpartanForce likes this.
  5. VolNation85

Expand Collapse

I've been saying it for years, I guess to the wrong people but, I don't see why VHSL can't split the games over two days at the same venue. IMO, UVa would be the perfect location as it has ample seating, parking (nearby), and it's centrally located. Class 1, 2, and 3 on Friday and Class 4, 5, 6 on Saturday. Charge $18-$20 each day or $32-$35 for a two pass to all six games. It seems to work well in Georgia, Florida, and Texas. Then again, Virginia has always been behind the times in many areas.

6. catchtds

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

My sources say that parking decks may charge, I'm guessing if they didn't last year, they won't this year. The college itself isn't doing it if being done.

7. Gunz41

Gunz41 VaPreps All District
    Expand Collapse

Exactly what I would hate to see. So because of where they live and the size of their school, 1,2,3 are punished. Some fans wouldn't be able to come because of work, kids have to miss even more school, and all of those teams have less time to prepare

DivePitchKeep and salemfan32 like this.
  8. OCBoy

OCBoy VaPreps All Region
    Expand Collapse

Even though there’s more 1/2A schools in southwest Virginia there also 1/2A teams outside of that area and it has become unfair to them as well. Southwest can suck it up for two years and travel like the other 1/2A teams have been doing

DivePitchKeep and CHUKNOW like this.
  9. VolNation85

Expand Collapse

Why do you say that schools are punished because of their size on location?

10. Gunz41

Expand Collapse

They would be if 1,2,3 played Friday night. In what you said, those 3 would be playing on Friday, and the message explained why I think that isn't right. And don't get me wrong, I think any of them playing Friday would be wrong

salemfan32 likes this.
  11. Gunz41

Expand Collapse

You must not have read the post, it has nothing to do with where they live. I think any team playing on a weekday or Sunday is wrong and somewhat punishment. The reasons are in the post you quoted

salemfan32 likes this.
  12. OCBoy

OCBoy VaPreps All Region
    Expand Collapse

Gotcha my bad. So like basketball during the week at vcu

13. southbottomU

southbottomU VaPreps Honorable Mention
    Expand Collapse

98. How have last two Lafayette teams compared to that 98 team

14. Lafayette

Lafayette VaPreps All District
    Expand Collapse

Yep 1998, 20 years have softened my brain. This year’s team the best defense over last year and 1998. But on offense 1998 still the best ever with last year close.

15. VolNation85

Expand Collapse

I understand the work argument maybe...but the kids missing school and having one day less to prepare isn't going to make a difference. Sure the politically correct thing to say is that academics come first but the VHSL isn't too concerned with academics as evident by the fact that the only academic requirement is to have passed a certain number of class the previous semester. Passing a class means earning at least a D(-) in 3 of 4 classes or 5 of 7 seven classes depending each districts class schedule. Under current VHSL policy a student is eligible with 2 Fs and 5 D(-). Furthermore, the is no attendance requirement by VHSL either.

As far as having one day less to prepare, 99% of games are played on Fridays weeks 1-13. It's not unheard of for teams to prepare to play in 4 days.

16. Gunz41

Expand Collapse

No it's not, but during regular season, you don't have teams playing hrs away. So yes the 1 day does matter. Ok, look at it this way. I would guess all the teams will travel the day before the game. So if the games were on Friday, that would mean those teams have practice Monday-Wednesday, for the chance to become a champion.

And while sure you can say that VHSL doesn't care about grades, the SCHOOLS AND PARENTS DO. So they would automatically miss 2 days of school here. Not to mention other students wanting to go support their fellow classmates, as well as teachers and administration.

All I am reading, and don't take it personally, is fans wanting to be able to see more games at one location. When the ones that SHOULD be the priority are the teams competing. Every kids family and peers should be able to attend if that is their choosing, and some simply couldn't do it on Friday or Sunday

salemfan32 likes this.
  17. southbottomU

Expand Collapse

Salem never travels day before game.

18. wikki

wikki VaPreps All State
    Expand Collapse

also a smaller venue, big difference.

19. VolNation85

Expand Collapse

I don't understand. Could you please explain what is meant by your comment?

20. VolNation85

Expand Collapse

If Uva was the venue, only the schools in far SWVA and the Eastern Shore would potentially need to travel the day before. Not saying those schools/fans don't matter but, we have created a country where the opinions of the few don't seem to matter as much, which is unfortunate. No way possible to please all parties involved but I really do think a more central location would solve a lot of the most common problems seen with the current locations. Uva is within a 3 hours drive from all corners of Virginia except for far SW, more than close enough to drive the day of.

Another solution would be to play the Class 4, 5, and 6 games of Friday and the Class 1,2, and 3 games. Every class 4, 5, and 6 school is within a three hour drive of Uva.

We can talk and debate all we want. It's never going to happen the way I would like anyway. LOL

21. southbottomU

Expand Collapse

We need to change. What we do now is stupid. Here in Virginia we aren't supposed to be that stupid.

VolNation85 likes this.
  22. VAHSFootballFan

Expand Collapse

You can't just say, "let's go play at UVA". We don't know the cost or other demands that may make this not feasible.
    One small fix on the Friday/Saturday all one location idea. 1/3/5 on Friday and 2/4/6 on Saturday. Then flip it the following year.

23. Gunz41

Expand Collapse

Apparently I am in the minority on Friday's lol. O well, I have been in minority before and I'm still kickin'. But I won't change my mind on it

salemfan32 and VolNation85 like this.
  24. VolNation85

Expand Collapse

LOL, actually I can say "let's go play at Uva." The 5A/6A games were played there for the longest time. It just recently switched to Hampton.

25. SalemPride

SalemPride VaPreps Rookie
    Expand Collapse

BREAKING NEWS!!... The city of Salem has approved a budget to put a roof over the existing Salem stadium in an attempt to land the State Championship games for all VHSL divisions. Problem solved!

TIC.. #FakeNews

VolNation85 likes this.
  26. VAHSFootballFan

Expand Collapse

Why was it switched?

27. Bluetree

Bluetree VaPreps Honorable Mention
    Expand Collapse

Just maybe no one what's to host these games for what every reason. I would think they probably don't make much money from hosting the games.

VolNation85 likes this.
  28. LunchPailD

Expand Collapse

The VHSL has posted a map for both W&M and Hampton U on where you can park. There are 4 reserved lots, but everything else with a P beside it is free game from what I hear. Here is the W&M map link.

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b likes this.
  29. og charger

Expand Collapse

I have always preferred the game being played at a HS facility. Either at a teams home field or neutral site.

catchtds likes this.
  30. southbottomU

Expand Collapse

Jmu, liberty, Salem, Richmond, used for a,aa,AAA,aaaa. Odu, William Mary 5a,6a