ADVERTISEMENT

Why is the 4A game at 5:30

I heard today that William and Mary is going to be charging for parking therefor they are trying to cash in on more cars with a later start time
Yeah if true thats a crock of crap! Nothing but trying to cash in on the deal with a good crowd. Is that for sure?

Living here in Williamsburg I find it incredible that a championship game involving Salem would start as late as 5:30. Games ends about 8, with ending celebrations and parking on the road at 9 on I 64 and nearly 4 hours drive in the dark. Home about 1AM????
They have used other high schools before years back. 1995 Amherst played Sherando at Brookville and years ago Brookville played a region game at Amherst because of their field conditions. We liked it because we made a lot of money for concessions
1997- Lafayette/Salem at Turner Ashby. Was fine by me.

Reactions: OCBoy
Not going to say anymore about it, I know what some people said. They cannot just move a game of that importance that fast because of several reasons.
They were going to do that this year if Staunton River would have won last week. They were going go move their game to Salem. Just saying it could be done.

Reactions: SpartanForce
@wikki is right. While certainly a game can be moved like the talk earlier in season, the reasons games would have been moved is because of travel, so not the same situation.

Unless something changes after this year, the VHSL has contracts with the 3 stadiums, which this year is Salem, William and Mary, and Hampton.

I only know of LCA because of what has been written on here over the years. But IF they were to be in championship game, moving them would probably displace 4 teams with more travel. And just imagine if it were last year, Salem and LCA could have been playing each other with the cross bracketing. So if Salem and Liberty were 2 of the locations, it could have displaced all 6 teams. Yes a lot of ifs and buts.

There is absolutely no way to make everything perfect, and things should be about the kids and teams playing, but it's unrealistic to switch a game that close to game. Teams have to have arrangements to travel, stay, etc. Imagine Salem (being there the last 4 years) having everything set up in the event they make it (reservations and the like), then today (Monday before the game) everything is changed. That costs the team a lot of money and aggregation.

I dont know what the answer is for the best locations. It would be better for some to be somewhere but not for others. There is also the issues for the FCS teams with playoffs and hosting. The universities are thinking about themselves and rightfully so. I dont know the price to rent the fields and all, but maybe there is a way to have a tentative agreement to have multiple fields secured?

What I would hate to see is a situation where teams are penalizes because of where they live, the size of their school, or the size of their fan base. In my probably meaningless opinion, these games with a set location with a good bit of distance should ONLY be played on Saturday. If it is different, it is putting the kids/schools/fan bases in a scenario where some have to choose between school/work/church and give them less time to prepare. It doesn't matter if you were to rotate who plays at different times, because that team is unique and are being punished thst year.
I've been saying it for years, I guess to the wrong people but, I don't see why VHSL can't split the games over two days at the same venue. IMO, UVa would be the perfect location as it has ample seating, parking (nearby), and it's centrally located. Class 1, 2, and 3 on Friday and Class 4, 5, 6 on Saturday. Charge $18-$20 each day or $32-$35 for a two pass to all six games. It seems to work well in Georgia, Florida, and Texas. Then again, Virginia has always been behind the times in many areas.

Yeah if true thats a crock of crap! Nothing but trying to cash in on the deal with a good crowd. Is that for sure?

My sources say that parking decks may charge, I'm guessing if they didn't last year, they won't this year. The college itself isn't doing it if being done.

I've been saying it for years, I guess to the wrong people but, I don't see why VHSL can't split the games over two days at the same venue. IMO, UVa would be the perfect location as it has ample seating, parking (nearby), and it's centrally located. Class 1, 2, and 3 on Friday and Class 4, 5, 6 on Saturday. Charge $18-$20 each day or $32-$35 for a two pass to all six games. It seems to work well in Georgia, Florida, and Texas. Then again, Virginia has always been behind the times in many areas.

Exactly what I would hate to see. So because of where they live and the size of their school, 1,2,3 are punished. Some fans wouldn't be able to come because of work, kids have to miss even more school, and all of those teams have less time to prepare

Exactly what I would hate to see. So because of where they live and the size of their school, 1,2,3 are punished. Some fans wouldn't be able to come because of work, kids have to miss even more school, and all of those teams have less time to prepare
Even though there’s more 1/2A schools in southwest Virginia there also 1/2A teams outside of that area and it has become unfair to them as well. Southwest can suck it up for two years and travel like the other 1/2A teams have been doing

Why do you say that schools are punished because of their size on location?

Why do you say that schools are punished because of their size on location?

They would be if 1,2,3 played Friday night. In what you said, those 3 would be playing on Friday, and the message explained why I think that isn't right. And don't get me wrong, I think any of them playing Friday would be wrong

Reactions: salemfan32
Even though there’s more 1/2A schools in southwest Virginia there also 1/2A teams outside of that area and it has become unfair to them as well. Southwest can suck it up for two years and travel like the other 1/2A teams have been doing

You must not have read the post, it has nothing to do with where they live. I think any team playing on a weekday or Sunday is wrong and somewhat punishment. The reasons are in the post you quoted

You must not have read the post, it has nothing to do with where they live. I think any team playing on a weekday or Sunday is wrong and somewhat punishment. The reasons are in the post you quoted
Gotcha my bad. So like basketball during the week at vcu

Living here in Williamsburg I find it incredible that a championship game involving Salem would start as late as 5:30. Games ends about 8, with ending celebrations and parking on the road at 9 on I 64 and nearly 4 hours drive in the dark. Home about 1AM????

1997- Lafayette/Salem at Turner Ashby. Was fine by me.
98. How have last two Lafayette teams compared to that 98 team

98. How have last two Lafayette teams compared to that 98 team
Yep 1998, 20 years have softened my brain. This year’s team the best defense over last year and 1998. But on offense 1998 still the best ever with last year close.

They would be if 1,2,3 played Friday night. In what you said, those 3 would be playing on Friday, and the message explained why I think that isn't right. And don't get me wrong, I think any of them playing Friday would be wrong
I understand the work argument maybe...but the kids missing school and having one day less to prepare isn't going to make a difference. Sure the politically correct thing to say is that academics come first but the VHSL isn't too concerned with academics as evident by the fact that the only academic requirement is to have passed a certain number of class the previous semester. Passing a class means earning at least a D(-) in 3 of 4 classes or 5 of 7 seven classes depending each districts class schedule. Under current VHSL policy a student is eligible with 2 Fs and 5 D(-). Furthermore, the is no attendance requirement by VHSL either.

As far as having one day less to prepare, 99% of games are played on Fridays weeks 1-13. It's not unheard of for teams to prepare to play in 4 days.

I understand the work argument maybe...but the kids missing school and having one day less to prepare isn't going to make a difference. Sure the politically correct thing to say is that academics come first but the VHSL isn't too concerned with academics as evident by the fact that the only academic requirement is to have passed a certain number of class the previous semester. Passing a class means earning at least a D(-) in 3 of 4 classes or 5 of 7 seven classes depending each districts class schedule. Under current VHSL policy a student is eligible with 2 Fs and 5 D(-). Furthermore, the is no attendance requirement by VHSL either.

As far as having one day less to prepare, 99% of games are played on Fridays weeks 1-13. It's not unheard of for teams to prepare to play in 4 days.

No it's not, but during regular season, you don't have teams playing hrs away. So yes the 1 day does matter. Ok, look at it this way. I would guess all the teams will travel the day before the game. So if the games were on Friday, that would mean those teams have practice Monday-Wednesday, for the chance to become a champion.

And while sure you can say that VHSL doesn't care about grades, the SCHOOLS AND PARENTS DO. So they would automatically miss 2 days of school here. Not to mention other students wanting to go support their fellow classmates, as well as teachers and administration.

All I am reading, and don't take it personally, is fans wanting to be able to see more games at one location. When the ones that SHOULD be the priority are the teams competing. Every kids family and peers should be able to attend if that is their choosing, and some simply couldn't do it on Friday or Sunday

They were going to do that this year if Staunton River would have won last week. They were going go move their game to Salem. Just saying it could be done.
also a smaller venue, big difference.

No it's not, but during regular season, you don't have teams playing hrs away. So yes the 1 day does matter. Ok, look at it this way. I would guess all the teams will travel the day before the game. So if the games were on Friday, that would mean those teams have practice Monday-Wednesday, for the chance to become a champion.

And while sure you can say that VHSL doesn't care about grades, the SCHOOLS AND PARENTS DO. So they would automatically miss 2 days of school here. Not to mention other students wanting to go support their fellow classmates, as well as teachers and administration.

All I am reading, and don't take it personally, is fans wanting to be able to see more games at one location. When the ones that SHOULD be the priority are the teams competing. Every kids family and peers should be able to attend if that is their choosing, and some simply couldn't do it on Friday or Sunday

If Uva was the venue, only the schools in far SWVA and the Eastern Shore would potentially need to travel the day before. Not saying those schools/fans don't matter but, we have created a country where the opinions of the few don't seem to matter as much, which is unfortunate. No way possible to please all parties involved but I really do think a more central location would solve a lot of the most common problems seen with the current locations. Uva is within a 3 hours drive from all corners of Virginia except for far SW, more than close enough to drive the day of.

Another solution would be to play the Class 4, 5, and 6 games of Friday and the Class 1,2, and 3 games. Every class 4, 5, and 6 school is within a three hour drive of Uva.

We can talk and debate all we want. It's never going to happen the way I would like anyway. LOL

You can't just say, "let's go play at UVA". We don't know the cost or other demands that may make this not feasible.
One small fix on the Friday/Saturday all one location idea. 1/3/5 on Friday and 2/4/6 on Saturday. Then flip it the following year.

You can't just say, "let's go play at UVA". We don't know the cost or other demands that may make this not feasible.
One small fix on the Friday/Saturday all one location idea. 1/3/5 on Friday and 2/4/6 on Saturday. Then flip it the following year.

Apparently I am in the minority on Friday's lol. O well, I have been in minority before and I'm still kickin'. But I won't change my mind on it

LOL, actually I can say "let's go play at Uva." The 5A/6A games were played there for the longest time. It just recently switched to Hampton.

BREAKING NEWS!!... The city of Salem has approved a budget to put a roof over the existing Salem stadium in an attempt to land the State Championship games for all VHSL divisions. Problem solved!

TIC.. #FakeNews

Reactions: VolNation85
Just maybe no one what's to host these games for what every reason. I would think they probably don't make much money from hosting the games.

Reactions: VolNation85
The VHSL has posted a map for both W&M and Hampton U on where you can park. There are 4 reserved lots, but everything else with a P beside it is free game from what I hear. Here is the W&M map link.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT