ADVERTISEMENT

Wild finish in the Salem/Tuscarora game

Shabutie

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2006
Salem is up 7 and kneels the ball on 3rd down with 35 seconds left and Tusky has no timeouts. Salem proceeds to get a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when the game is going to be over to stop the clock and forces them to punt. Tusky blocks the punt and has the ball at the Salem 19-yard line with 19 seconds left after and goes for the endzone but Salem's Shawn Collins makes a great interception to end the game.

Final: Salem - 21 Tuscarora - 14

Reactions: pizzzzza
Shaking my head at the officiating at the end of this game.. interception that would have iced the game, taken away,then Tusky scores, then call a stupid unsportsmanlike at the end.. the refs did everything they could to give this game to Tuscarora.. crazy

Salem is up 7 and kneels the ball on 3rd down with 35 seconds left and Tusky has no timeouts. Salem proceeds to get a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when the game is going to be over to stop the clock and forces them to punt. Tusky blocks the punt and has the ball at the Salem 19-yard line with 19 seconds left after and goes for the endzone but Salem's Shawn Collins makes a great interception to end the game.

Do we know what happened to get unsportsmanlike penalty?
If Tuscarora would have scored and won the game, it would have been the worst loss in Salem History.

Shaking my head at the officiating at the end of this game.. interception that would have iced the game, taken away,then Tusky scores, then call a stupid unsportsmanlike at the end.. the refs did everything they could to give this game to Tuscarora.. crazy
Got to find out what happened. Maybe the unsportsmanlike was a good call. No way of knowing until we know what happened.

Reactions: falcettik
I believe it was for celebration
I don't think it was for celebration. I'm pretty sure 2 guys were goading each other and one of them said something that the ref overheard. I don't want to name the players. It's crazy how that could have cost them the game.

If it was just celebration ref should be suspended. However, if it was taunting thats a good call.
I just watched it on replay. Salem player was walking back to his team. The only players near him was his own and the ref. All I can think is he said something. Because the ref was right next to him. Wasn't taunting

Why didn’t the refs call unsportsmanlikelike when #56 from Tusky drove #52 from Salem into the ground out of frustration? #56 lined up in the neutral zone all day.. don’t tell me the ref didn’t see it, he did.. warned him a couple of times. The ref inserted himself in the game and almost determined the outcome. That shouldn’t happen. Especially on a play where they knee the ball me the defense crashes the line. I’m just sick of refs not calling games the way they should. The game should have been 21-7, the ref closes to the interception called it a catch, the one furthest away overturned him.. garbage..

Do we know what actions caused the penalty? There is nothing on the video.

The interior line plays on both sides of the ball was the big difference this year. They have the same to starting DTs (Stacy Williams and Cameron Martindale, both juniors) that they had last year but they are MUCH better players than they were as sophomores. Also, senior defensive end Kyjuan Waller has just been terrific all year... he is an extremely athletic and talented player and his counterpart Jake Massie does a very good job at his assignments.

As I mentioned earlier, the Tuscarora interior DL dominated against Salem last year but it was much different in this game. All three returning interior players for Salem (Haley Clemons and Torian) have also improved a lot and did a very good job against Fitz and Co. They actually ended up sliding Fitz out to a 4 technique some (head up on the OT) and letting him have a two-way go in the second half and he started to make a lot more plays in the second half with this alignment but it wasn't the same type of impact that he had last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT