ADVERTISEMENT

Will Salem sometimes line up in double tight end set this year?

freeatlast2013

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 23, 2013
Salem will have about 8 or 9 starters returning which is not a whole lot. They have been hurt the worst with huge losses in the defensive backfield and wide receivers. They do return their QB who warmed up nicely as the season wore on. Along the offensive line, even with the loss of Farrell, Overstreet they return a lot of size who either were first backups or starters on a very good JV team.They also return from an injury 6'2" 220 lb LB TE Bobby Pinello and 6'5" 215 TE Avery Close. Along the offensive line who will step up along Da Jon Cardwell 6-0 265? They have waiting in the wings David Debout 5'11" 253, Dexter McCraw 5'8"206, Will Price 6'285", Samuel Cosnetti 6'4" 310, Chase Darnall 5'10" 293, Luke Grinell 6' 265", I think that their linebackers on defense will be very tough along with their defensive line. The defensive backs will eventually come along but it may take a few games to get them settled in. Also, who will run the ball? They have some talent.My guess there will be two sets of running backs starting out with some experience and some young talent, probably swapping series to keep them rested.

Salem will have about 8 or 9 starters returning which is not a whole lot. They have been hurt the worst with huge losses in the defensive backfield and wide receivers. They do return their QB who warmed up nicely as the season wore on. Along the offensive line, even with the loss of Farrell, Overstreet they return a lot of size who either were first backups or starters on a very good JV team.They also return from an injury 6'2" 220 lb LB TE Bobby Pinello and 6'5" 215 TE Avery Close. Along the offensive line who will step up along Da Jon Cardwell 6-0 265? They have waiting in the wings David Debout 5'11" 253, Dexter McCraw 5'8"206, Will Price 6'285", Samuel Cosnetti 6'4" 310, Chase Darnall 5'10" 293, Luke Grinell 6' 265", I think that their linebackers on defense will be very tough along with their defensive line. The defensive backs will eventually come along but it may take a few games to get them settled in. Also, who will run the ball? They have some talent.My guess there will be two sets of running backs starting out with some experience and some young talent, probably swapping series to keep them rested.

I am told that Savion Wood (I think I have that name right . . . correct me if I’m wrong, Mike) will get some carries at RB but that he is a beast at LB. if anyone knows of the key new Spartans to watch for in ‘18 I’ve started broadcasts prep and will gladly take everyone’s thoughts on that subject for Salem, Amherst and Pulaski in Class 4. (If you follow River Ridge teams in the other classes I’ll gladly take that same kind of information for P. H., Cave Spring, Hidden Valley and Christiansburg, too.)

I am told that Savion Wood (I think I have that name right . . . correct me if I’m wrong, Mike) will get some carries at RB but that he is a beast at LB. if anyone knows of the key new Spartans to watch for in ‘18 I’ve started broadcasts prep and will gladly take everyone’s thoughts on that subject for Salem, Amherst and Pulaski in Class 4. (If you follow River Ridge teams in the other classes I’ll gladly take that same kind of information for P. H., Cave Spring, Hidden Valley and Christiansburg, too.)
Yeah Zavione is a hitter at DE or LB and he will be in the rotation at RB I'm sure with Richardson, Newby, and Persinger.

As far as receivers, Gladden should have some options to throw to. Close (TE) is a good possession receiver, gets open, and has good size to truck defenders. Ferris has good size, is a good possession receiver, and has a knack for sneaking behind the defense. Haupt was listed as a receiver last year, and he is deceptively quick on the defensive side of the ball, so it will be interesting to see if he plays offense. Pellant and Reid are really good possession receivers. If they go with any Soph receivers look for Jorden and Jayden McDonald, along with Collins to get some looks.

If Akers is the Pulaski QB, then he and Horton should be one of the best QB/WR duos in the RRD for sure, along with Johnston, Terry, Coffey, from Blacksburg.

Idk much about Cave Spring, but if they can pass block then Jacob Knight could keep them in games with his gun.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT