ADVERTISEMENT

Will Sherando make playoffs ...

VerizonSportsFan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 2, 2003
Sherando (35) Millbrook (20) ... they will put themselves in a great position with a win Friday night.

Sherando's physical toughness and discipline will prevail. Coach Hall will have his guys ready. They will stay in control of themselves and don't be surprised to see them dominate this game.

Reactions: hamspear and OCBoy
If Sherando can shut down, or at least limit Smith and Kier (a tall order), I think they can beat Millbrook. They still need quite a bit of outside help to make the playoffs even if they win, as far as I'm aware. I'm not exactly sure what the scenarios are, but I'd find it odd if a 6-4 team made the playoffs and it wasn't Sherando given that the teams they lost to will likely have a combined record of 39-1.

Of course, I'm not sure of the status of Doleman and Entsminger (starting QB). If they don't play it would severely limit what they could do on both sides of the ball.

Does anyone know what would have to happen for Sherando to get into the playoffs? I know they absolutely need a win, but who else would have to lose?

I wrote a real long post, then deleted it, because I was afraid it would rub both sides the wrong way. Long story short, I have no idea what to expect other than I think the offenses will be better than the defenses.

Millbrook 49 - Sherando 21

No need really to debate this one - Millbrook is clearly the better team. Sherando has a bad defense for the first time in many years and Millbrook is loaded with athletes.

I've seen Millbrook play twice this year, and Sherando once. Sherando looked average against Louisa and Millbrook looked average against Clarke County for one half until they figured out to just give the ball to Savon Smith and run outside only in the 2nd half, then they looked great. Against Woodgrove, Millbrook struggled mightily to do anything other than Smith having a few nice runs. Kier was a non-factor in both of those Millbrook games. If Sherando limits what Smith does on the outside, plays a mistake free game on offense, they can win a close one, but if Sherando lets Smith run wild, they will lose badly.

I've seen Millbrook play twice this year, and Sherando once. Sherando looked average against Louisa and Millbrook looked average against Clarke County for one half until they figured out to just give the ball to Savon Smith and run outside only in the 2nd half, then they looked great. Against Woodgrove, Millbrook struggled mightily to do anything other than Smith having a few nice runs. Kier was a non-factor in both of those Millbrook games. If Sherando limits what Smith does on the outside, plays a mistake free game on offense, they can win a close one, but if Sherando lets Smith run wild, they will lose badly.

Very much agree with everything you said. A Sherando win is not outside the realm of possibility - but Sherando need some help from Millbrook along the way in the form of penalties and turnovers. If Millbrook plays a clean game - they will be too much for Sherando and light up the scoreboard at will.

He put it to us last year. I can see Coach Hall shortening the game by feeding him and keeping our backs on the sideline. I like our secondary too. Sherando is battle-tested this year though. They may just "do what they do".
Yes Sherando will do what they do. Didn't change the Offense for any of the other teams they have played this year. Haven't heard how Millbrook plans on stopping the warrior offense , maybe you can tell us how they will do that?

Reactions: schoolboard
After seeing both teams play, I'd say the Sherando kids spend more time in the weight room and a bigger push from the Sherando offensive line could be the difference. It would afford them the chance to grind out yardage, get a few scores, and do what they can to limit Smith on the outside. Anything else Millbrook does will be secondary to what Smith does. As Smith goes, so goes Millbrook's chances in any game from here on thru the playoffs.

Yes Sherando will do what they do. Didn't change the Offense for any of the other teams they have played this year. Haven't heard how Millbrook plans on stopping the warrior offense , maybe you can tell us how they will do that?
I guess that depends on which one of us is correct.

I guess that depends on which one of us is correct. Rivers gives you the best chance to move the ball. If the Warriors want to come out sling it then I believe that plays into our strengths on defense.

Sherando (35) Millbrook (20) ... they will put themselves in a great position with a win Friday night.

Sherando's physical toughness and discipline will prevail. Coach Hall will have his guys ready. They will stay in control of themselves and don't be surprised to see them dominate this game.
If it wasn't Senior night at Clarke, I would so be at this game.

JHHS, it appears you are a Handley supporter and recently joined this forum (yesterday). Welcome.

I would agree Sherando is young, inconsistent at times and developing, but to say they have no defense?

Please tell me your opinion is not based your observations of the Sherando vs. Handley game? Rivers and the Sherando defense pummled the Judges. I rode over three hours to watch this game and only one team showed up (56-0). Even aunt Myrtle got in the game for Sherando.

Millbrook may be the better team??? Sure, they could defeat Sherando, but Millbrook will
"light up the scoreboard"? I really like how you are so confident yet contradict yourself at the same time. "If Millbrook plays a clean game they will be too much for Sherando". Oh, I get it. If Millbrook sucks they still win, but if they play a clean game they destroy Sherando.

Very knowleable post.

I guess that depends on which one of us is correct. Rivers gives you the best chance to move the ball. If the Warriors want to come out sling it then I believe that plays into our strengths on defense.

Sherando has the best QB in the northwestern district, he will be a huge factor. Sherando is not going to scale down the offense to play Millbrook. They are going to pass, and they are going to run. You could see Rivers in some situations but he is not the leader of the offense.

Skyline ran straight up the middle on Millbrook. To the house. 21 FIRST HALF points. If Skyline can do that, I think Sherando should have no problem. Question for Hamspear. Against the good teams, does Rivers play every down on offense and defense?

Skyline ran straight up the middle on Millbrook. To the house. 21 FIRST HALF points. If Skyline can do that, I think Sherando should have no problem. Question for Hamspear. Against the good teams, does Rivers play every down on offense and defense?
Yes , for the most part except in maybe one passing package .

Lol we will see , Sherando running backs have just about the same yardage on the year as Millbrooks backs against way better teams than Millbrook has played. The Warriors also have a pretty strong passing game. Pick your poison. I don't think the Warriors will have problems scoring against Millbrook.

Lol we will see , Sherando running backs have just about the same yardage on the year as Millbrooks backs against way better teams than Millbrook has played. The Warriors also have a pretty strong passing game. Pick your poison. I don't think the Warriors will have problems scoring against Millbrook.
Millbrook is feeling strong Hami...which is understandable. But I don't think they will overtake Sherando this year.

Reactions: hamspear
The disrespect is probably being noted I am sure JHHS. Sherando defense might not be good by there standards I agree. Not up to par.

The disrespect is probably being noted I am sure JHHS. Sherando defense might not be good by there standards I agree. Not up to par.
So Entsminger is going to be back for Sherando this week? That's good news if so.
Washington is coming along and improving game by game. He's going to be great the next two years.

Think the big question is Kier's availability this weekend. I also read their other capable RB Hartigan was sidelined this past weekend and was seen on crutches.

Unfortunately, I doubt it will be much of a game for Clarke on Senior night.
I thought Sherando looked pretty decent v. Eastern View. They ran the ball well if my recollection is accurate.

JHHS, it appears you are a Handley supporter and recently joined this forum (yesterday). Welcome.

I would agree Sherando is young, inconsistent at times and developing, but to say they have no defense?

Please tell me your opinion is not based your observations of the Sherando vs. Handley game? Rivers and the Sherando defense pummled the Judges. I rode over three hours to watch this game and only one team showed up (56-0). Even aunt Myrtle got in the game for Sherando.

Millbrook may be the better team??? Sure, they could defeat Sherando, but Millbrook will
"light up the scoreboard"? I really like how you are so confident yet contradict yourself at the same time. "If Millbrook plays a clean game they will be too much for Sherando". Oh, I get it. If Millbrook sucks they still win, but if they play a clean game they destroy Sherando.

Very knowleable post.

Not trying to throw any shade at Sherando - they have a great program over there. The football program at Handley is a complete mess - it is worse now than ever but that can be discussed on here after the season.

As Hamspear mentioned above and I alluded to previously - the Sherando defense is just not on par with what that program is accustomed to traditionally. I believe your descriptors of "young" and "inconsistent" are spot on when describing this bunch. I think Sherando's youth and inconsistency are going to be the factors that give a - senior laden, very experienced group, with an immensely talented sophomore game changer - Millbrook the edge.

Just my opinion.

Not trying to throw any shade at Sherando - they have a great program over there. The football program at Handley is a complete mess - it is worse now than ever but that can be discussed on here after the season.

As Hamspear mentioned above and I alluded to previously - the Sherando defense is just not on par with what that program is accustomed to traditionally. I believe your descriptors of "young" and "inconsistent" are spot on when describing this bunch. I think Sherando's youth and inconsistency are going to be the factors that give a - senior laden, very experienced group, with an immensely talented sophomore game changer - Millbrook the edge.

Just my opinion.
Handley is rebuilding this year. Cut them some slack. New coach, new program.

Guess we will see who has a better defense on Friday night. but I think a the " not up to par " defense at Sherando is still much better than the other teams in the Northwestern this year. The other part of the equation is that Sherando's offense has become very potent, and is not one dimensional. I don't believe Millbrook will be able to handle it and will gladly eat my fried crow if I wrong. You will see team speed Friday night my friend. Millbrook doesn't have in the trenches what some of the other teams have had against the Warriors this year. Bring it is all I can say. Yes , QB is 100 percent, could have played last week. Also found out might have back another key player, find out today.

Guess we will see who has a better defense on Friday night. but I think a the " not up to par " defense at Sherando is still much better than the other teams in the Northwestern this year. The other part of the equation is that Sherando's offense has become very potent, and is not one dimensional. I don't believe Millbrook will be able to handle it and will gladly eat my fried crow if I wrong. You will see team speed Friday night my friend. Millbrook doesn't have in the trenches what some of the other teams have had against the Warriors this year. Bring it is all I can say. Yes , QB is 100 percent, could have played last week. Also found out might have back another key player, find out today.

Sherando definitely has a better defense than Millbrook, and the push in the trenches will most certainly be in Sherando's favor. Sherando will control between the tackles, the difference will be whether they have speed on the perimeter of their defense to run down Smith on the sweeps. Woodgrove had that outside speed on defense and won big. Now it remains to see if Sherando can do the same.

If Sherando can shut down, or at least limit Smith and Kier (a tall order), I think they can beat Millbrook. They still need quite a bit of outside help to make the playoffs even if they win, as far as I'm aware. I'm not exactly sure what the scenarios are, but I'd find it odd if a 6-4 team made the playoffs and it wasn't Sherando given that the teams they lost to will likely have a combined record of 39-1.

Of course, I'm not sure of the status of Doleman and Entsminger (starting QB). If they don't play it would severely limit what they could do on both sides of the ball.

Does anyone know what would have to happen for Sherando to get into the playoffs? I know they absolutely need a win, but who else would have to lose?

If my math is correct, it will take about every star in the universe lining up for Sherando to get in. It will take just way to many things to happen for them to consider it a real possibility. This Friday is their Super Bowl. They can win the Northwestern District and they can win the Apple Cup with a victory. A playoff surprise on Sunday morning would be extra.

Last edited:
Millbrook 49 - Sherando 21

No need really to debate this one - Millbrook is clearly the better team. Sherando has a bad defense for the first time in many years and Millbrook is loaded with athletes.

Common Opponents-

Millbrook 42 Jefferson 20
Sherando 41 Jefferson 12

Millbrook 66 Skyline 28
Sherando 76 Skyline 13

Millbrook 56 James Wood 0
Sherando 34 James Wood 0

Millbrook 56 Handley 6
Sherando 56 Handley 0

Everyone Else-

Millbrook 186 Others 93
Sherando 169 Others 154

The difference is Millbrook's other opponents are 25-21 and Sherando's other opponents are 36-10. I won't debate you, but this looks like a VERY even matchup with history on Sherando's side.

What has to happen for Sherando to make the playoffs now that there's only one week left? Obviously they need to pull out a win against Millbrook, but which other teams need to lose for them to sneak in through the back door?

Just wanting to know who I should be rooting for this weekend outside of Winchester.

What has to happen for Sherando to make the playoffs now that there's only one week left? Obviously they need to pull out a win against Millbrook, but which other teams need to lose for them to sneak in through the back door?

Just wanting to know who I should be rooting for this weekend outside of Winchester.

You want Charlottesville to lose (vs Louisa) AND Harrisonburg to lose (vs Turner Ashby) and 2 of these 3 teams to lose: Heritage, Champe, or Pulaski. Luckily for you, I think Charlottesville will lose so you'll move to number 14, and Pulaski will probably lose to Salem, but that might not move them out of the top 12, and if it does, you'll still be behind them.

Reactions: Shruikan
You want Charlottesville to lose (vs Louisa) AND Harrisonburg to lose (vs Turner Ashby) and 2 of these 3 teams to lose: Heritage, Champe, or Pulaski. Luckily for you, I think Charlottesville will lose so you'll move to number 14, and Pulaski will probably lose to Salem, but that might not move them out of the top 12, and if it does, you'll still be behind them.
There's a possibility that a lot of those things could happen, but I'm not sure if the right teams will lose allowing Sherando a top 12 spot.

Neither Heritage nor John Champe will lose this week. The teams they are playing are not good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT