ADVERTISEMENT

Will The North Close The Gap This Year?

redzone4us

VaPreps Rookie
Dec 3, 2012
We have been bombarded with how superior the south teams are compared to the north teams. I believe the term they like to use is "more athletic". So the question is will the north team (salem) give the south team (lake taylor) a challenge? I say they will close the gap a little. Lake Taylor 42 - Salem 21. Oh by the way, is the term "more athletic" a code for something else? Think about it.
This post was edited on 12/13 10:53 AM by redzone4us

Actually, I think the Salem offense is the difference here. The play calling has been exemplary. Don't know who's doing it but I'd love to have him on my side. If you stop them in one direction, they will come at you from another. I have had many doubts about them this year because their schedule isn't much but they've made me a believer. The balance on offense is very special. Pro Style all the way. They can do anything. The injuries are still a concern but Salem has had the luxury of getting a lot of experience to the backups this year. That will pay off and there will be little drop off. That's why I have it:

Salem 28. - LT 21

No North or East prejudice here. Just how I see it. GL to both tomorrow.
This post was edited on 12/13 11:04 AM by shauntclair

The offensive coordinator is Lewis Pitts, he came to Salem last year from Cave Spring. I think this is his first year with full control of the play calling. Of course it helps to have the experienced weapons Salem has this year. The combination of play calling and talent has been explosive this year.

Yes, I think the term "more athletic" is a polite way of saying they're winning off of talent and not hard work or smart coaching. I think calling a team more athletic is a back-handed compliment, at best. I cringe when I hear it.

It's not always used with racist intent, but I often hear it that way, and I am by no means a liberal on anything. I'd like to see the term retired.

I think it's great to point out that a team is loaded with talent, but if that is presented with a contrast to another team that is "smart" or "well-coached," then I start to wonder what the writer really wants to say.

I'm a believer in the Salem scheme, too. I like that they can attack the spot on the defense in more than one way. I have always believed you should have three different ways to block the same hole. Sometimes a spot looks vulnerable somewhere, but a team can't seem to take advantage of it, but if you've got a second and third way to block that hole, you can usually make it go.

There's different ways to accomplish that, but Salem does it nicely. It makes it really hard for the defensive coordinator to give his kids simple keys.

I'll be watching the stream Mike. GL. Like I said. I think you guys can do this.

You are correct...Salem has to control the clock offensively and try to wear down LT on defense. LT is going to play 9 in the box and dare you to beat them 1 on 1. I don't think Salem has played against a team that will fly as many people at the ball every play. If they can make LT come off their Fill the box and fly at the ball mentality and play them a little more honestly, then they can "win the game! If they get behind early it could be a long long day.

Defensively, they need to STOP the big play. As well as Monacan played defensively last week, the one thing they had trouble with, especially in the 2nd half was stopping that big play. Monacan caused 4 turnovers in the first half, yet only led 7-0 at half. No turnovers in the 2nd half and while it took the "miracle" play to win, LT. proved that you better bring your best game for an entire 48 minutes!

I have no vested interest in either team. I see LT and their big plays early in the game giving them a 35-14 win

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT