ADVERTISEMENT

Will Tuscarora bring a crowd to Salem Saturday?

I would not expect a huge crowd either. While there will be a very passionate set of parents, family and some students, a new school like Tuscarora lacks an alumni and community following. Leesburg and Loudoun County in general are a very transient community, so those with a longstanding commitment to "the home team" are in the minority. Further, that minority of Loudoun County "natives" more often than not support for the original Leesburg school, Loudoun County HS.

Declining attendance at games has been discussed on here several times over the years, so I don’t want to lead the thread too far astray. But, I think people all over the state just don’t go to games like they used to. Friday’s game between Salem and Glass is a good example. Both came in with very good teams, sporting great records. The regional championship and a state semifinal berth were on the line. They hadn’t met in thirty-two years. And the weather was as good as it gets for a night in the last week of November. Given all of those factors, Salem Stadium should have been bursting at the seams. Sadly, that wasn’t anywhere close to being the case. I won’t get into estimating numbers, but the crowds for both schools were very disappointing. If that game didn’t pack the stadium, I’m not sure it will ever be filled again, for a high school game. Maybe for a once-a-decade novelty like the Martinsburg game, which just about filled the place.

For a variety of reasons, people just aren’t as interested in going out to high school football games as they used to be. Especially for games played halfway across the state. Unless Tuscarora arranges a bus or two, I’d be very surprised if they bring much more than 200 people. That is not an indictment of the Husky faithful; I think it’s pretty typical nowadays. Had Broad Run been the Region C champ, I would have made the trip to Ashburn. But truthfully, I’m very glad to be driving seven minutes, as opposed to a seven-hour round trip. I imagine a lot of other Salem fans, especially the casual ones, would have been put off by a drive of that magnitude, and understandably so.

Reactions: Unc1ejimmy
IMG_1310.JPG

Not sure if this went through but it's a picture of the Sherando v. Tuscarora game. It was a little chilly that night but still expected a bigger crowd for the home stands. I'm guessing between 50-75...

Not being funny but I can’t see ppl from nova/dmv driving to Salem for a game now maybe a state championship game yeah maybe but, I lived in dmv/nova area and games like this ppl do t attend if driving literally 3-4 hours to a high school game , I know Salem fans will be packed for sure

Salem would have brought a good number to Broad Run. Salem brings a good crowd to away games anywhere in the state. Probably not as good as a few years ago, but still good.

Reactions: Va434
But to be honest I wouldn’t be surprise if Salem beat them and beat tusky by 12 points , Salem is well coached and there use to this Salem and Lake Taylor State championship game

But to be honest I wouldn’t be surprise if Salem beat them and beat tusky by 12 points , Salem is well coached and there use to this Salem and Lake Taylor State championship game
I have been critical at times of this Salem team. The offensive line has come a long way this year. The secondary has athletes, but hasn't always had good ball skills or come up against the run like they should. They have improved, but they will have an exam on Saturday. Salem is a game further in the playoffs then I thought they would get this year. I thought next year might be a Championship year. Saturday will tell us if Salem has improved enough this year to win in all.

Declining attendance at games has been discussed on here several times over the years, so I don’t want to lead the thread too far astray. But, I think people all over the state just don’t go to games like they used to. Friday’s game between Salem and Glass is a good example. Both came in with very good teams, sporting great records. The regional championship and a state semifinal berth were on the line. They hadn’t met in thirty-two years. And the weather was as good as it gets for a night in the last week of November. Given all of those factors, Salem Stadium should have been bursting at the seams. Sadly, that wasn’t anywhere close to being the case. I won’t get into estimating numbers, but the crowds for both schools were very disappointing. If that game didn’t pack the stadium, I’m not sure it will ever be filled again, for a high school game. Maybe for a once-a-decade novelty like the Martinsburg game, which just about filled the place.

For a variety of reasons, people just aren’t as interested in going out to high school football games as they used to be. Especially for games played halfway across the state. Unless Tuscarora arranges a bus or two, I’d be very surprised if they bring much more than 200 people. That is not an indictment of the Husky faithful; I think it’s pretty typical nowadays. Had Broad Run been the Region C champ, I would have made the trip to Ashburn. But truthfully, I’m very glad to be driving seven minutes, as opposed to a seven-hour round trip. I imagine a lot of other Salem fans, especially the casual ones, would have been put off by a drive of that magnitude, and understandably so.
I've said it before, the attendance is down at most games. Even at the state games and I've been to them all except the ones at W&M. Very light crowds. The ones that I remember that had a good crowd was Dinwiddie, Sherando, Salem, Amherst and Louisa. Heritage didn't at either time. Christiansburg that year they played had a really good crowd also.

Reactions: freeatlast2013
I've said it before, the attendance is down at most games. Even at the state games and I've been to them all except the ones at W&M. Very light crowds. The ones that I remember that had a good crowd was Dinwiddie, Sherando, Salem, Amherst and Louisa. Heritage didn't at either time. Christiansburg that year they played had a really good crowd also.

It's down everywhere at every level. College attendance is down, pro attendance is down. For those two, it's simply a price and convenience thing. When HD television wasn't a thing, they thought they could just continue to jack up prices and force fans into attendance. Now that Joe Schmoe can buy a 65'' TV for $600 and see Tony Romo's nose hair in crystal clear 1080p HD, suddenly the ticket and the food and the gas and the lodging and the time aren't worth it for every game. For HS, it's simply a "there's more to do on Fridays now" thing.

It's down everywhere at every level. College attendance is down, pro attendance is down. For those two, it's simply a price and convenience thing. When HD television wasn't a thing, they thought they could just continue to jack up prices and force fans into attendance. Now that Joe Schmoe can buy a 65'' TV for $600 and see Tony Romo's nose hair in crystal clear 1080p HD, suddenly the ticket and the food and the gas and the lodging and the time aren't worth it for every game. For HS, it's simply a "there's more to do on Fridays now" thing.
Also some schools are live streaming games now and have them on you tube

Also some schools are live streaming games now and have them on you tube
Yeah true tusky Salem broad run Lou. Valley have live stream pretty much every game so when it’s cold out ppl set at home and watch it instead of coming out smh

Both the games at W&M were pretty well-attended, although they didn’t come close to filling the newly-expanded Zable Stadium. Dinwiddie and Louisa both had good followings that essentially filled, or came close to filling the lower level on the home side. Salem brought a pretty good crowd in 2016, but the weather-related move to Sunday (with a 5:30 kickoff) the following year meant a substantially smaller Spartan contingent.

Last edited:
Magna vista packed the visitors side in 2015 and home side in 2014

I think there are several reasons for attendance drops..One of these I posted before which not many people agreed with me on but is a problem with some fans as far as the start of the game 30 minutes earlier. When you work across town and have to fight traffic it is an issue. Maybe it is not an issue for some posters on here but for many it is.
Another reason is the increase of video available through streaming . Like it or not some people get into the mindset of I can watch it in the comfort of my home.

Number three is the nature of the economy. People work odd hours or sometimes two jobs or travel out of town or have to move. You can look down 220 south from Roanoke and the number of people that have been displaced from textile jobs and furniture factory jobs is tremendous. Here recently General Electric has decided to close its plant in Salem and move the rest of the jobs to India. That plant has been there for 60 years. Norfolk Southern closed its car shop years ago where they manufactured rail cars. This space was taken over by Freightcar America and this year they announced they were moving to Mexico. Norfolk Southern has also moved its downtown offices to Norfolk and Atlanta from Roanoke and here recently they have decided, to move their offices in Norfolk to Atlanta. A few years back Ford closed their oldest truck plant in Norfolk. Somebody made the point of a lot of people in northern Virginia are from other places. I am sure that is true. It is what it is.

I was expecting a bigger crowd for Salem, but that was probably the largest away crowd EC Glass has had in at least 25 years.

You see great crowds in places like Louisa & Hanover County & Riverheads where the administrators try to make Friday nights a real event.

VHSL Exec Board pushing legislation like they are: “marching bands are taking away from the actual game, we should restrict them from playing so much” is part of the problem. People will go to an event. That includes a lot more than just the football teams competing. People don’t want to miss out on an “event”. They’re fine to miss a plain old HS football game.

@DEVILSLB99 can you help me understand why VHSL is voting on that marching band thing to officially become a rule this coming spring, but the VHSL put out that misleading area meeting slide back in September saying bands would be flagged for unsportsmanlike penalties?? Either it was already a rule or it wasn’t. VHSL has an honesty problem at the top, it would seem.

Both the games at W&M were pretty well-attended, although they didn’t come close to filling the newly-expanded Zable Stadium. Dinwiddie and Louisa both had good followings that essentially filled, or came close to filling the lower level on the home side. Salem brought a pretty good crowd in 2016, but the weather-related move to Sunday (with a 5:30 kickoff) the following year meant a substantially smaller Spartan contingent.
Plus the Louisa game was moved to Sunday. We literally would've brought almost twice the number of people if it was on Saturday. So many fans were upset about the change.

You see great crowds in places like Louisa & Hanover County & Riverheads where the administrators try to make Friday nights a real event.

VHSL Exec Board pushing legislation like they are: “marching bands are taking away from the actual game, we should restrict them from playing so much” is part of the problem. People will go to an event. That includes a lot more than just the football teams competing. People don’t want to miss out on an “event”. They’re fine to miss a plain old HS football game.

@DEVILSLB99 can you help me understand why VHSL is voting on that marching band thing to officially become a rule this coming spring, but the VHSL put out that misleading area meeting slide back in September saying bands would be flagged for unsportsmanlike penalties?? Either it was already a rule or it wasn’t. VHSL has an honesty problem at the top, it would seem.
Salem band has never played while the other team has the ball. Salem doesn't need a rule to do what's right. However, many schools do. I guess trying to disrupt signals.

Lol “what’s right”? Interesting perspective. You’ll need to let every big-time university know since I hear their bands playing intentionally to disrupt the other team right up until the millisecond they get set on the ball.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
It's less "what's right", that's subjective, and simply that Salem never really changed from when the old rule was in place which did specifically dictate not playing during downs. That rule went away every bit of probably 15 years ago, I believe, interesting to see it's potentially coming back. You can catch Salem dragging a song a bit into the play these days (long ago it was a hard stop when the play started) but it's never really done as purposefully as other bands may choose to do.

I tend to think HS fans overestimate the impact sound makes in a game at this level anyway. The reason colleges have actual home-field advantages is because there's 90,000 people making noise, not 1,500. I'm also 100% certain HS fans don't know how to cheer anyway. I never understood fans and the band making noise when their team had the ball and a big play was on the line; if you think you make noise and noise obviously is made to confuse opposing offenses into mistakes then why would you subject your offense to the same treatment? Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Of course, bands playing when their own team is on offense serves no purpose. Doubt this rule was concocted with those stupid band directors in mind.

When the band plays while the opponent is on offense, I love it! Big game feel! Varina did it most of the game to Manchester. A lot of kids can’t walk and chew gum at the same time these days. You gotta be able to think under pressure, it prepares you for life. Just my two cents...

Call me crazy, but I actually appreciate when a band gets in on the action even when it's to the detriment of my team. Those kids work their butts off too, and they are a part of the show on Friday night. I think they should get the chance to excel and play their part. It shows quick thinking and a cohesiveness that I appreciate.

I was at Broad Run on Saturday and they didn't even have a band there. Thought that was unfortunate.

You’ll find most of the decision makers are more in the mold of old meatheads who think the band needs to “know their place”. The VHSL October meeting minutes essentially says as much.

Lol I was at the varina and highland springs game the first match and one parents says to me “does hs band play there horns the whole game lol , I love hs band the best one I’ve heard and seen all year smh , next year I’ll catch more of the hs band and games.

Best football band is hard to name. There’s lots of great bands in VA with weak football programs so they’re not always great “football bands”. HS band (& a lot of the richmond-Area schools in general) plays all game long, live balls or not.

Yes, I’ve seen them perform a few times including once this year.

Grafton has one of worst football teams around here but their huge 180 member band is one of the best and has received numerous awards. They are outstanding.

Reactions: WP02alum
Are the Huskies running that Unbalanced, Voodoo Gun business on offense? Will they be the 33 Stack or the 4-2-5 with the Rip/Liz Match coverage?

Salem Stadium is an off campus Stadium run by the City. However , it was built for one purpose---Salem High School Football. The side of the stadium in 4ft. Letters it says Home of the Salem Spartans. There are a few other things that go on there ( a couple con certs, band competition, and the rare college game, ) The Field is called Willis White Field. I say all this because many who are not familiar with Salem sometimes think that Salem HS must share this Stadium with other another school or college---not so.

Reactions: CHUKNOW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT