ADVERTISEMENT

William Byrd comments

freeatlast2013

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 23, 2013
Anybody surprised how Byrd hung with Staunton River like they did. I've been pointing out to those of you that constantly pointed to their lack of tough schedule as a slap against them a wait and see approach as to how they will do. They not only hung tough but almost pulled it off without their great back.

I was surprised that SR was held to just 18 points. I wonder if that was all because of Byrd's scheme and play or did SR have a bunch of turnovers or penalties?

Reactions: Chucksteel72
I don't think so Vol. I posted the statistics of the game and it looked like a clean game
I think Byrd is stout at slowing down the run game and limiting possessions by running the ball themselves. One of their running backs had 158 yards rushing.

It's not about eating crow, he just seems to have something personal against them.
I think he was beat up over in Roanoke County across the city line in Vinton when he was a teenager. It's hard to get over those things..

I was surprised that SR was held to just 18 points. I wonder if that was all because of Byrd's scheme and play or did SR have a bunch of turnovers or penalties?

Byrd shut them down last year as well. Everyone said that SR would have won last year if they played on a dry field but I think this years game proves that Highfield knows how to coach defense and Byrd is pretty good.

Pretty good????? What's it a beauty contest!!!! Football teams aint PRETTY good!!!! You either good or damn good or state. Good!!!!! Hey Danville sports head.... This is for you:confused::eek::p:rolleyes:o_O:(

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I was at the game. Byrd made SR earn every inch of the turf. They are damn good vs the run. Dantzler at qb may not be the biggest guy on the field, but he is an athlete with a lot of heart and determination. To be honest, I'm glad we got tested by Byrd. I believe that's what gets you through the tough playoff games. Hats off to the Terriers.

I’m like Putt.. I’ll believe Byrd when I see them beat somebody good. Their wins this year are against absolutely nobody. Funny that some teams can get a pass for beating nobody.. What’s up with that? :rolleyes::eek::confused:o_O Putt I’m with you brother, these cats must be Roanoke County bias but Sports Head ain’t buying it ;)

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Don't care but this is my opinion...Byrd team played well but at the end of the day a L is a L. It is a rivalry game. When heritage played ec glass, I thought heritage was the better team(EC Glass has a really good team though) but ec glass found a way to win because turnovers and pioneer's not being able to match intensity at times. Sounds like Byrd fans are trying to find a way to get a moral victory. How can you be sitting at 7th in 4d at 7-1?? Because they have the weakest schedule out of all the playoff teams...With or without their top rb, they are still the worst team in the 4 d playoffs.

I’m like Putt.. I’ll believe Byrd when I see them beat somebody good. Their wins this year are against absolutely nobody. Funny that some teams can get a pass for beating nobody.. What’s up with that? :rolleyes::eek::confused:o_O Putt I’m with you brother, these cats must be Roanoke County bias but Sports Head ain’t buying it ;)

Just Curious who has Salem beat that is good this year? .

Reactions: eh31
I will keep it real....Salem beat Amherst and PH.... Both teams trump anything Byrd has beat. Byrd's lose is to SR/Salem lost to Dinwiddie and Blacksburg. You switch the schedules and Byrd would be sitting at 5-3 or 4-4 without question.

I will keep it real....Salem beat Amherst and PH.... Both teams trump anything Byrd has beat. Byrd's lose is to SR/Salem lost to Dinwiddie and Blacksburg. You switch the schedules and Byrd would be sitting at 5-3 or 4-4 without question.

PH really they beat HV in OT by 3 and beat WF by 4. Amherst is better than anyone that Byrd has played, I agree.
No, if Byrd played Salem's schedule they would be sitting with loses to Dinwiddie and Blacksburg.

Anybody surprised how Byrd hung with Staunton River like they did. I've been pointing out to those of you that constantly pointed to their lack of tough schedule as a slap against them a wait and see approach as to how they will do. They not only hung tough but almost pulled it off without their great back.

Am surprised myself. Credit to Coach Highfill and his kids because Staunton River is obviously really good. Saw some highlights (not the full game yet). Takeaways for me - Byrd's defense a bit better than I thought and the QB Sam Dantzler can really make some plays with his feet.

I mean Byrd played Martinsville, Cave Spring, Bassett, and Fleming twice!! A lot of JV teams would be undefeated with that schedule!
It is not Byrd's fault that teams will not schedule them anymore (i.e. Salem). Because of this they have to play teams like Fleming twice! At least Richlands agreed to play them this season. Maybe some of the "big boys" should man up...

It is not Byrd's fault that teams will not schedule them anymore (i.e. Salem). Because of this they have to play teams like Fleming twice! At least Richlands agreed to play them this season. Maybe some of the "big boys" should man up...
Oh I get it. My Danville boys get the same treatment but dang! They could’ve got Appomattox or go down to NC.

Ok let's all give Byrd a moral victory, way not to get blown out without your best player...(crowd cheers). I wanted Byrd to win but they didn't, move on. Schedule is what it is....weak...not saying Byrd can control that. Both teams can come down to heritage a catch a L.....SR's time might be coming in playoffs.....lol.

Ok let's all give Byrd a moral victory, way not to get blown out without your best player...(crowd cheers). I wanted Byrd to win but they didn't, move on. Schedule is what it is....weak...not saying Byrd can control that. Both teams can come down to heritage a catch a L.....SR's time might be coming in playoffs.....lol.
You made it sound as if Byrd was purposely playing cupcakes when in fact they have a heckuva time scheduling non-district games. You say "come on down"...they have tried...even went to Richlands just to get a game. Unless you are the AD, you can say "come on down" all you want...doesn't change the fact that many teams do not want to nor will schedule them for out of district games. Simple fact. And no one is asking for a moral victory either...just stop with the schedule BS...I bet you a wad of cash that they would play Heritage if Heritage would accept.

Byrd kinda' reminds me of Clarke County in 2A... they have to fight and scrap to find teams to put on schedule. After they beat 4A Dominion and Handley this year, they will struggle even worse to find games. And I remember when no one wanted to play Gretna either.

Oh I get it. My Danville boys get the same treatment but dang! They could’ve got Appomattox or go down to NC.
Really? Great! Either trip would be shorter than playing in Richlands! Can you put the Appo AD in touch with the Byrd AD? You think they didn't try to find other games? I mean they played Salem until Salem dropped them. Why did Salem do that? It is close in proximity, has good gates, is good competition. I have no dog in the Byrd fight but these poor guys deserve a little credit, if not respect.

Really? Great! Either trip would be shorter than playing in Richlands! Can you put the Appo AD in touch with the Byrd AD? You think they didn't try to find other games? I mean they played Salem until Salem dropped them. Why did Salem do that? It is close in proximity, has good gates, is good competition. I have no dog in the Byrd fight but these poor guys deserve a little credit, if not respect.
Nah they don’t want no parts of Appomattox lol

I feel Byrd could beat LB because they play the same style. Byrd might be a top 10 3a team but 4a is a different beast. If they stay in the 6-7 range in 4d, they might as well start getting ready for basketball season.

I feel Byrd could beat LB because they play the same style. Byrd might be a top 10 3a team but 4a is a different beast. If they stay in the 6-7 range in 4d, they might as well start getting ready for basketball season.
I agree with you that they can beat LB. So if LB beat Blacksburg and you think Byrd can beat LB. Then why can't Byrd beat Blacksburg?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT