ADVERTISEMENT

William Byrd comments

I knew you was setting that up...a lot of things came in play when LB played Blacksburg. I think this is a different game without the rain. It slopped it up just like LB wanted. LB lines up and comes at you. Byrd will keep it close(not win) with Blacksburg only if it rains because it neutralizes their speed. Just my opinion....my boys are 3a so don't care

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Don't try and flip the script to skirt the issue, the question is who has Byrd beaten and the answer is nobody. And what gate has Byrd ever brought? Salem brings gate to Byrd, not the other way round. I think it's cute anyone thinks Salem is ducking Byrd when they've been picking up Amherst and Dinwiddie in recent years. How many teams around here are OOD scheduling top 2-3 opponents in an equal or better division? I guess Salem is now the 8 time paper tiger champion because they don't play mighty unbeatable William Byrd anymore.

Byrd hasn't even won 2 playoff games in at LEAST 20 years if not way, way more. Highfill occasionally finds a RB he can run into the ground and they post slightly above-average seasons until they meet a team who says "duh" and just loads the box and Byrd has no response because they don't bother developing the rest of the offense. Their best season ever would be on par with one of the bottom-half of Salem's.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
AMEN BROTHER AMEN
Don't try and flip the script to skirt the issue, the question is who has Byrd beaten and the answer is nobody. And what gate has Byrd ever brought? Salem brings gate to Byrd, not the other way round. I think it's cute anyone thinks Salem is ducking Byrd when they've been picking up Amherst and Dinwiddie in recent years. How many teams around here are OOD scheduling top 2-3 opponents in an equal or better division? I guess Salem is now the 8 time paper tiger champion because they don't play mighty unbeatable William Byrd anymore.

Byrd hasn't even won 2 playoff games in at LEAST 20 years if not way, way more. Highfill occasionally finds a RB he can run into the ground and they post slightly above-average seasons until they meet a team who says "duh" and just loads the box and Byrd has no response because they don't bother developing the rest of the offense. Their best season ever would be on par with one of the bottom-half of Salem's.
amen brother amen.... The truth will set them free

Really? Great! Either trip would be shorter than playing in Richlands! Can you put the Appo AD in touch with the Byrd AD? You think they didn't try to find other games? I mean they played Salem until Salem dropped them. Why did Salem do that? It is close in proximity, has good gates, is good competition. I have no dog in the Byrd fight but these poor guys deserve a little credit, if not respect.

They have been in touch and tried to work it out several times. Could not get the weeks to work out. Salem dropped Byrd because FC gate would bring more and more points for positioning in the playoffs.

Why can't Byrd beat bburg...... Cause frogs don't fly:eek::p some things just don't happen... U don't tug on Superman's cape
... Udontspit into the wind... U don't pull the mask off of old long ranger and you don't match wits with the PUTT!!!;)

Neither the Spartans. Got kicked by a former 3a school.

I feel Byrd could beat LB because they play the same style. Byrd might be a top 10 3a team but 4a is a different beast. If they stay in the 6-7 range in 4d, they might as well start getting ready for basketball season.

Actually should be a 3A school. Numbers would have them them the 6 largest in 3A but they are the smallest of the 4A schools. Blacksburg is showing that 3 A is no different than 4 A . In fact WB played the 4A champ closer twice last year than any other school but Dinwiddie. We will see how it finishes up.

True story DanvilleSportsHead.. They don't want Appomattox, they better keep Richland's on the schedule

Just so you know Blacksburg was on the schedule until the coach Thad wanted to playe his former school Richlands so he dropped WB, they had no signed contract. Richlands called WB because they new they would be looking for a game. So that is why they played Richlands.

Reactions: cb2018
You made it sound as if Byrd was purposely playing cupcakes when in fact they have a heckuva time scheduling non-district games. You say "come on down"...they have tried...even went to Richlands just to get a game. Unless you are the AD, you can say "come on down" all you want...doesn't change the fact that many teams do not want to nor will schedule them for out of district games. Simple fact. And no one is asking for a moral victory either...just stop with the schedule BS...I bet you a wad of cash that they would play Heritage if Heritage would accept.

Byrd kinda' reminds me of Clarke County in 2A... they have to fight and scrap to find teams to put on schedule. After they beat 4A Dominion and Handley this year, they will struggle even worse to find games. And I remember when no one wanted to play Gretna either.

The issue with WB was a list of things as for NS and LB they had to play twice each. Football has 2 year contracts. Most are already filled for the next cycle. Rock and ALleghany moved districts and left the BRD short games. Richlands was a curtesy call because Blacksburg coach did not honor a Committment and what I heard was not a signed contract. Yes they would play Heritage.

I was surprised that SR was held to just 18 points. I wonder if that was all because of Byrd's scheme and play or did SR have a bunch of turnovers or penalties?

Scheme and players to execute. BTW, WB defense is faster than last year. They just are not big. LB will have more success they run right at you with big boys.

The issue with WB was a list of things as for NS and LB they had to play twice each. Football has 2 year contracts. Most are already filled for the next cycle. Rock and ALleghany moved districts and left the BRD short games. Richlands was a curtesy call because Blacksburg coach did not honor a Committment and what I heard was not a signed contract. Yes they would play Heritage.
A loss is a loss and I don't believe in moral victories (for the most part) but didn't Byrd have the go ahead touchdown v. SR last week called back on a phantom lineman down field call? Had that call not been made (and yes, I know it was called) Byrd wins a huge game for them. As it stands, if they lose this week I don't think they make the playoffs at 8-2.

I will be honest, WB nor Salem wants any parts of NC ( Reidsville ). The Rams have speed on both sides of the ball. I also have to mention that those Rams are extra physical on D. IMO Reidsville would give WB, Salem and SR that work.

and why has Highfill dodged Bburg in football and soccer since the 80s.

I will be honest, WB nor Salem wants any parts of NC ( Reidsville ). The Rams have speed on both sides of the ball. I also have to mention that those Rams are extra physical on D. IMO Reidsville would give WB, Salem and SR that work.

lol who? I love these randoms popping up and bringing up irrelevant stuff nobody is talking about in any way.

I bet you Reidsville, whoever they are because again lol, doesn't want any part of Mater Dei.

Oh lord, you have to be kidding me about dodging people. Y’all were the ones that pulled out of the game this year.
Oh lord, you have to be kidding me about dodging people. Y’all were the ones that pulled out of the game this year.
and you dodged us for 30 in 2 sports and no1 dodged you , Wells had the chance to go back and play his high school team and coach . To play them or a team that has dodged Bburg for 30 years a no brainer. Believe all the Robert Anderson crap you want.........................

Last edited:
lol who? I love these randoms popping up and bringing up irrelevant stuff nobody is talking about in any way.

I bet you Reidsville, whoever they are because again lol, doesn't want any part of Mater Dei.

I think the Reidsville comment was in reference to an earlier DSH post regarding scheduling a NC school. But I'm not sure.

I don't think there are more than five teams in the country that want to see Mater Dei right now lol.

I think the Reidsville comment was in reference to an earlier DSH post regarding scheduling a NC school. But I'm not sure.

I don't think there are more than five teams in the country that want to see Mater Dei right now lol.
What’s up CavsFan! He was making that reference to my earlier comment. Ant’s a good dude and knows his stuff. He’s a Martinsville Bulldawg but he’s still okay in my books LOL!! I doubt a lot of VA teams would want to see Reidsville. One of the best programs in the United States just 16 miles south of Danville and about 23 miles from Martinsville/Henry County. 18 state championships I believe and will win more. They are NC’s Oscar Smith/Dinwiddie/Highland Springs.. They play 2aa (which would be 4a in VA) and they beat up on the larger schools in NC. I remember Gretna wanted a piece of them back in 08. To make a long story short, both teams won the state championship that year and Reidsville beat Gretna by 40.... Ant is right about the Reidsville Rams!

Last edited:
Reactions: CavsGrad
Didn't Reidsville's coach come to GW for a couple of years before returning back to the Rams?
Yesssir, but I can tell you what... Them boys down in Reidsville got a whole different mentality than the Danville boys. They breed good football players down there. Good rec league, good middle school program. By the time those cats are sophomores, they’re good high school players. Teague couldn’t build the same culture in Danville. They’re not pretty, they just play smash mouth football. They’ll add #19 this year.

What’s up CavsFan! He was making that reference to my earlier comment. Ant’s a good dude and knows his stuff. He’s a Martinsville Bulldawg but he’s still okay in my books LOL!! I doubt a lot of VA teams would want to see Reidsville. One of the best programs in the United States just 16 miles south of Danville and about 23 miles from Martinsville/Henry County. 18 state championships I believe and will win more. They are NC’s Oscar Smith/Dinwiddie/Highland Springs.. They play 2aa (which would be 4a in VA) and they beat up on everybody. I remember Gretna wanted a piece of them back in 08. To make a long story short, both teams won the state championship that year and Reidsville beat Gretna by 40.... Ant is right about the Reidsville Rams!

Was that a preseason game?

What’s up CavsFan! He was making that reference to my earlier comment. Ant’s a good dude and knows his stuff. He’s a Martinsville Bulldawg but he’s still okay in my books LOL!! I doubt a lot of VA teams would want to see Reidsville. One of the best programs in the United States just 16 miles south of Danville and about 23 miles from Martinsville/Henry County. 18 state championships I believe and will win more. They are NC’s Oscar Smith/Dinwiddie/Highland Springs.. They play 2aa (which would be 4a in VA) and they beat up on the larger schools in NC. I remember Gretna wanted a piece of them back in 08. To make a long story short, both teams won the state championship that year and Reidsville beat Gretna by 40.... Ant is right about the Reidsville Rams!

Nice to meet you DSH! I’ve been a lurker on the site for a few years and decided to step out of the shadows a little this year. I’m a 757 guy, but have been in the DC area for most of the past two decades. I root for the 757 and 804 schools, but have been slowly warming up to the NOVA schools. I try to get back to the 757 to see a couple good early season games, but mostly see DC area games, at least until the playoffs. I usually make it to the 5A and 6A championship games, but may check out the D4 game this year because of the potential matchups and the passion the posters on the site.

I did my undergrad in “the boro” - not too far from Reidsville. So, I’m a little familiar with their program, but I haven’t really followed them. I enjoy a good rivalry game, but enjoy just as much a game between good teams that aren't familiar with each other.

Salem has not beaten anyone either. Salem has its own issues as well. How is Ramsey back and playing?
They have won 2 in the last 5 actually. Highfill Jr. had a little success against Salem 3 in a row.

and you dodged us for 30 in 2 sports and no1 dodged you , Wells had the chance to go back and play his high school team and coach . To play them or a team that has dodged Bburg for 30 years a no brainer. Believe all the Robert Anderson crap you want.........................

Not true at all. They have played 20 times in soccer. Actually the addition of HV over the years and the separation of the Blue Ridge has created a schedule issue in soccer. They can only play 16 games. Tell Pete to call the AD from WB. I know they picked up C'Burg to replace Alleghany. That is true that Wells did go back to play Richlands. Pete had agreed to play WB. Richlands called needing a game and knew that WB had one less. So they made it work. Coach Highfill and WB has not dodged anyone, and wa bumped because of the Salem situation as well as the Blacksburg. This is not coming Robert Anderson.

Just FYI - there are very few, if any, schools that do contracts anymore. Most of the time they are gentleman agreements.

Highfill is a class act, runs a high character program and has been creative in the past. I know he went muddle huddle in the playoffs vs. Pulaski to try something different after they got physically dominated during the regular season. How many coaches these days would have benched one of their best players for the biggest game of the season - I wish more would but the reality is that many wouldn't..

Salem has not beaten anyone either. Salem has its own issues as well. How is Ramsey back and playing?
They have won 2 in the last 5 actually. Highfill Jr. had a little success against Salem 3 in a row.
Salem beat amherst and Patrick Henry

Just FYI - there are very few, if any, schools that do contracts anymore. Most of the time they are gentleman agreements.

Highfill is a class act, runs a high character program and has been creative in the past. I know he went muddle huddle in the playoffs vs. Pulaski to try something different after they got physically dominated during the regular season. How many coaches these days would have benched one of their best players for the biggest game of the season - I wish more would but the reality is that many wouldn't..[/QUOTE

The contracts in the Roanoke Valley are still being done for all out of district games. Don't know which school you are referring too or which gentlemen's agreement. The gentlemen's agreement is the reason Blacksburg did not play Byrd.

Discussion never is or was about Salem. Like I said, you're trying to deflect to ignore facing Byrd's results.

Ramsey is back and playing because he completed what was asked of him by Mags and the school. How is that remotely relevant to the convo at hand besides you trying to dig up dirt that doesn't exist?

Oooh spooky scary, they occasionally beat Salem just like, hmm, everyone else. Too bad their all-time record still falls woefully short. Also huge props to beating Salem on the worst 3 year stretch in the last 30. They've beaten Salem ONCE since 2003, how bad do you have to be to start loading up stats from 15+ years ago to show you can do something. Like all the other lame teams on here who talk about state titles their teams won in the 70s or 80s. 30+ years of inadequacy has them doing "remember when" about the 1980s lolllllllllllllllllllllllll

Last 20 games against each other :

Salem wins: 16
Byrd wins: 4

Salem points: 571, 28.55 ppg
Byrd points: 259, 12.95 ppg

Over half the games Byrd was held to 7 or fewer points including 3 shutouts.

Lord help you if you make me rack those stats back more years, they won't be kind to Byrd.

Last edited:
Discussion never is or was about Salem. Like I said, you're trying to deflect to ignore facing Byrd's results.

Ramsey is back and playing because he completed what was asked of him by Mags and the school. How is that remotely relevant to the convo at hand besides you trying to dig up dirt that doesn't exist?

Oooh spooky scary, they occasionally beat Salem just like, hmm, everyone else. Too bad their all-time record still falls woefully short. Also huge props to beating Salem on the worst 3 year stretch in the last 30. They've beaten Salem ONCE since 2003, how bad do you have to be to start loading up stats from 15+ years ago to show you can do something. Like all the other lame teams on here who talk about state titles their teams won in the 70s or 80s. 30+ years of inadequacy has them doing "remember when" about the 1980s lolllllllllllllllllllllllll

Last 20 games against each other :

Salem wins: 16
Byrd wins: 4

Salem points: 571, 28.55 ppg
Byrd points: 259, 12.95 ppg

Over half the games Byrd was held to 7 or fewer points including 3 shutouts.

Lord help you if you make me rack those stats back more years, they won't be kind to Byrd.[/QUOTE

Again, you read what you want too. The comments was made in regards to the thread. Guess you read one and assume. I could care less about Salem or its success. Digging up dirt? Just wondering how he is playing for Salem. The 2 in the past was in regards to a comment about Highfill and his playoff wins. Just stating the facts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT