ADVERTISEMENT

William Byrd comments

2 playoff wins in the last 5 years is not a great stat.

I wouldn't want to play a team that had beaten me 14 of the last 15 times either, not surprised Byrd would say no. Maybe they can schedule teams with a pulse OOD, why not give LT or Dinwiddie a call?

Last edited:
Actually should be a 3A school. Numbers would have them them the 6 largest in 3A but they are the smallest of the 4A schools. Blacksburg is showing that 3 A is no different than 4 A . In fact WB played the 4A champ closer twice last year than any other school but Dinwiddie. We will see how it finishes up.
3A is no different than 4A?

Yesssir, but I can tell you what... Them boys down in Reidsville got a whole different mentality than the Danville boys. They breed good football players down there. Good rec league, good middle school program. By the time those cats are sophomores, they’re good high school players. Teague couldn’t build the same culture in Danville. They’re not pretty, they just play smash mouth football. They’ll add #19 this year.
Worked in Reidsville a couple of years, DSH is telling the truth. Compares with Salem in terms of bringing kids up thru the different levels.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Yesssir, but I can tell you what... Them boys down in Reidsville got a whole different mentality than the Danville boys. They breed good football players down there. Good rec league, good middle school program. By the time those cats are sophomores, they’re good high school players. Teague couldn’t build the same culture in Danville. They’re not pretty, they just play smash mouth football. They’ll add #19 this year.
I have a different opinion. Jimmy Teague was a disaster at GW and his failure says far more about the ineptitude of the GW administration and Danville school board than any failings of the kids or culture of GW football. It is easy to talk up Reidsville this year and talk about their state championship history in lower division of NC but, fact is both GW and Salem would beat the Rams pretty handily in most years from the mid 1960's through around 2005 for GW and even more current years for Salem. Teague leaving GW had much more to do with him realizing he had a cake gig in North Carolina. The administration and school board in Danville tried to kill the football culture at GW and Teague was just one of their weapons of choice. You want to talk about modern competition from NC you can look at the schools from Greensboro, Winston Salem, Chapel Hill etc., however, Reidsville would not qualify in other than a very few isolated years.

2 playoff wins in the last 5 years is not a great stat.

I wouldn't want to play a team that had beaten me 14 of the last 15 times either, not surprised Byrd would say no. Maybe they can schedule teams with a pulse OOD, why not give LT or Dinwiddie a call?

No was because of Mags comment after the Dinwiddie game. LT was an option, again weeks would not work out. 2 comment because of the comment that they had not one a playoff game. Just like the facts.

I got a question for Pride. Is basham getting any college looks?

Southbottomu the answer is yes. He has a couple of walk on options at D1. Think he is still hoping for an offer. Probably will end up at FCS, if he decides that is what he wants to do. I see at least two of those coming soon. One school in particular, has been all over him. Grades and SATs are good enough. 15 pounds lighter than last year, has hurt in the recruiting process. Motivation in the weight room was not there over the summer. He has a lot of support and fans, it will be interesting to see how it ends up for him.

Reactions: cb2018
No was because of Mags comment after the Dinwiddie game. LT was an option, again weeks would not work out. 2 comment because of the comment that they had not one a playoff game. Just like the facts.

No, you just misunderstood. The inference was they hadn't won two in a season in the last 20 years. Who besides the perennial bad teams hasn't won 2 playoff games in the last 2 decades, that's just ridiculous to even consider. Hell, Carroll County has won 2.

Last 20 years for Byrd:

2001 - 1 game
2007 - 2 games
2008 - 1 game
2009 - 1 game
2012 - 2 games
2013 - 2 games
2015 - 1 game
2016 - 2 games

4-8 playoff record.

Last edited:
No, you just misread. The inference was they hadn't won two in a season in the last 20 years. Who besides the perennial bad teams hasn't won 2 playoff games in the last 2 decades, that's just ridiculous to even consider. Hell, Carroll County has won 2.

Last 20 years for Byrd:

2001 - 1 game
2007 - 2 games
2008 - 1 game
2009 - 1 game
2012 - 2 games
2013 - 2 games
2015 - 1 game
2016 - 2 games

4-8 playoff record.

You can't even argue with yourself. "Byrd hasn't even won 2 playoff games in at LEAST 20 years if not way, way more. Again say what you mean, not what you hope we think you are saying. We could spin anyway you want. We could change sports. We get your point. Not that I care.

3A is no different than 4A?

Not really. Blacksburg 6A is different than 3A. 5A is not either form the local schools. PH and FC should dominate and they don't. That is my point. Blacksburg and River both could have been in the title hunt last year for 4A.

You can't even argue with yourself. "Byrd hasn't even won 2 playoff games in at LEAST 20 years if not way, way more. Again say what you mean, not what you hope we think you are saying. We could spin anyway you want. We could change sports. We get your point. Not that I care.

You're searching for arguments that aren't there. Byrd is a glass ceiling team. Own it.

Your arguments are all based around ignoring anything about Byrd's issues and trying to focus on Salem's. Byrd has beaten nobody, deal with it. Maybe if they ever managed to show up in a big game or a PO game that mattered and win we'd be saying something different.

Not really. Blacksburg 6A is different than 3A. 5A is not either form the local schools. PH and FC should dominate and they don't. That is my point. Blacksburg and River both could have been in the title hunt last year for 4A.
Bull shucks, not last year, not even close. Blacksburg got rolled badly by Salem. 42-14 half time score

Reactions: mbonape1
Byrd beat SR by 20 points and Byrd couldn't escape round 2 of the playoffs and somehow SR is in the hunt for state.

Imagine rah-rahing for a team like Byrd so bad you forget you mashed a team into the ground and scored 26 on them then not being able to approach that number in the POs and thinking the team you beat could do better. Imagine buying into mediocrity that hard.

Reactions: mbonape1
Bull shucks, not last year, not even close. Blacksburg got rolled badly by Salem. 42-14 half time score

Maybe Byrd was better than I thought last year. Played Salem decent both games. HV beat Blacksburg early in the season as well. Then Blacksburg found Beck!

The did play Salem the champs last year! BTW it was the 3rd round. Get your facts straight!

Look at you hanging on so hard to semantics. Do you open up "Byrd's Big Book of Playoff Games" and mark down the 1st round byes as a W?

Best y’all more than anyone else in the

Yea, you don't. Northside has the same number as you, 4, and Pulaski has 7 in that same 20 year time span.

Congrats on winning 20% of your games against Salem though, you should put that on the sign outside the stadium.

I have not argued anything. You hate Byrd, see everything in Salem football goggles. I have said nothing about Byrd or their schedule. Only taking up for you bashing them. I got you. I will be the bigger person and not comment on any of your posts that are never correct.

I think it's adorable you confuse hate for pity. I don't need to put on goggles to see that Byrd is a bad program and their fans puff their chest out about beating Salem 15 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT