ADVERTISEMENT

Winner of high school football game to be decided by judge

Wow.. what a gaff... How do you not get that call right? Now its gonna be a big mess for all parties involved and will through shade on the eventual State champion no matter what happens.

That sucks, and the ref's should all be fired. AT LEAST ONE OF THEM should have stepped up and gotten that right. Outcome should still stand though. What would've happened if something stupid like that occurred in the 1st qtr? Courts can't get involved in sports.

The High School Association should have the guts after admitting the refs call was incorrect to vacate the win and reverse the score. To admit the call was wrong but say too bad, you still lose is so stupid. I would go to court also. Hope they win with a Judge that still has a brain.

Reactions: mbonape1
The High School Association should have the guts after admitting the refs call was incorrect to vacate the win and reverse the score. To admit the call was wrong but say too bad, you still lose is so stupid. I would go to court also. Hope they win with a Judge that still has a brain.
I agree it is not fair to the team that would have won that game because of a refs sucky call

I'm not for switching results for a team who was behind at the play in question because you still can't guarantee said team would have won but if a bad call causes a team who was ahead to then lose I absolutely think results should be switched. This talk I see of precedents being set is only a thing because the rules are completely inflexible. It just needs to be about games ending on the final play. If a team was ahead when the clock would have otherwise signaled the end of the game then you flip the results and that's that.

It just had to have this outcome, no matter how bad of a gaff it was. If the courts ever let that genie out of the bottle, EVERY questionable call resulting in a similar outcome will be presented to the courts. Do we really want that?

Virginia has the most activist courts as far as meddling in high school sports decisions, as they get ordered to change the seasons of sports and to accept private schools into the VHSL.

Should've never got to this point. Whatever happened to sportsmanship. Whatever happened with doing the right thing. Whatever happened to teaching the young lessons in life. Could've would've should've yes the referees made a bad decision. I do think that both teams could've walked away from this as winners. Just my thoughts

Wow, a definite conflict! Referees should be able to look at their rule books as warranted. Not on judgement calls like offsides, holding, pass interference or boundary calls. But they should be able to look at rules ending a game properly due to a penalty.

Basically, there was no change of possession on the play and the game should have ended at that time.

My personal belief. Good luck courts, I am no lawyer!

Should've never got to this point. Whatever happened to sportsmanship. Whatever happened with doing the right thing. Whatever happened to teaching the young lessons in life. Could've would've should've yes the referees made a bad decision. I do think that both teams could've walked away from this as winners. Just my thoughts

Teaching kids to lay down and take it when people screw you over is a terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible life lesson. At the very least you teach them to stand up for themselves and see what can be done. Doesn't mean they'll win all the time but by god trying is a lot better than shrugging your shoulders and spending time wondering "what if?"

Another great life lesson, if you're keen on seeing kids learn something, is that when you do a job poorly you are punished. The refs behind this game should be canned.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Teaching kids to lay down and take it when people screw you over is a terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible life lesson. At the very least you teach them to stand up for themselves and see what can be done. Doesn't mean they'll win all the time but by god trying is a lot better than shrugging your shoulders and spending time wondering "what if?"

Another great life lesson, if you're keen on seeing kids learn something, is that when you do a job poorly you are punished. The refs behind this game should be canned.

I think you're missing my point. Maybe I'm not clear with my stance on this issue. Would've could've should've with knowing what is right at the end of the game Plainfield high school could've taught the community a valuable life lesson don't benefit don't accept the victory if you know by rule you did not win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT