ADVERTISEMENT

Woodgrove beats County at home to remain perfect in Dulles District play

Tom Potter

VaPreps Varsity
Oct 17, 2015
Lovettsville,VA
Nice write-up on the game at link below:

https://www.loudountimes.com/sports...cle_d8e3ae3c-d9fd-11e8-98c1-372effb5987c.html

So Woodgrove defended their house Friday in possibly the worst playing conditions I have ever witnessed. Pouring down rain for most of game and wind chill temperature of 39° made it miserable for both teams.

Woodgrove's DBs played excellent and tackled well when receptions were made on them. County did not try to run the ball much in the first half but tried to turn to the run after halftime with limited success. Weather definitely effected County more than Woodgrove. County does not have much size on the line on either side of the ball and got worn down by Woodgroves no huddle offense and the elements.

Next up is Loudoun Valley, Woodgrove's cross town nemesis. Hopefully the lads remain focused this week and beat Valley and earn Home field advantage for the 4C playoff campaign.

Last edited:
Congrats Tom. Big win. Sorry you had to endure the weather. One thing I can guarantee though, it was a lot colder, and a lot wetter across the field from you.

Congrats Tom. Big win. Sorry you had to endure the weather. One thing I can guarantee though, it was a lot colder, and a lot wetter across the field from you.
No doubt DP...
I was relatively dry in the end zone filming the lineman.
But all that moisture and the cold air and wind chill really made it tough on both teams. I hope we do not have a rash of illness this week!

On the bright side, Woodgrove has not really opened up the playbook the last three weeks! We will have plenty of surprises come playoffs.:D

Reactions: mbonape1
No doubt DP...
I was relatively dry in the end zone filming the lineman.
But all that moisture and the cold air and wind chill really made it tough on both teams. I hope we do not have a rash of illness this week!

On the bright side, Woodgrove has not really opened up the playbook the last three weeks! We will have plenty of surprises come playoffs.:D

Tom you snuck up on us... you are officially on the radar now!

Reactions: Tom Potter
Tom
Honest question. Is Dulles District better this year? Teams from that district have not faired well when they played Salem. Salem is not as good as they have been but I was wondering if Woodgrove and others have gotten better.

Woodgrove is better, County is better, & Riverside is better this year.
Heritage is probably at the same level they were last year and Valley & Dominion have not been as good this year in my opinion. Park View did not have enough kids with any level of football experience to field a varsity team this year but they did have a JV team that hopefully forms the foundation for a varsity team next year.
Dulles District is not the only group of teams that have struggled with Salem the last few years!!!
I think home field advantage is a huge advantage and the travel distance from NOVA to Salem is tough on teams. Plus Salem has had teams with big lines and speed which is what you need to win State titles.
I hope our lads focus this week and not look past our biggest rival team Valley. I know 1-7 Valley will show up to play their best game of season Friday night and run every trick play they posses! Valley and Woodgrove players have played footbal together in the Upper Loudoun Youth Football League as they grew up so these kids are going to do everything they can to beat each other.

I actually had a free weekend and went to that game. It was at John Champe a few years back in 2015. Great crowd and atmosphere at the game, Salem traveled well for sure! The game started out close, but Salem simply had too much experience and came on strong in the second half. I think that's the same year they beat Lake Taylor in the finals in OT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT