ADVERTISEMENT

Woodgrove looks to improve on last years 6-4 season

Tom Potter

VaPreps Varsity
Oct 17, 2015
Lovettsville,VA
So Woodgrove will look to improve on last years 6-4 season in our last season as a Class 4 program. Quite a few of the Loudoun County Class 4 High Schools have already made the jump up to Class 5 with more to follow next year.

Woodgrove will need to beat the two Class 5 Loudoun powerhouse teams on their schedule this year to ensure a good playoff seeding. Woodgrove will also need to beat the much improved Class 4 teams they have played every year since the school opened. Dominion, Heritage - Leesburg, Loudoun County, Loudoun Valley & Riverside all appear to have improved over last years teams. The 9 game schedule due to Park View's struggles to field a varsity squad will not help matters.

Loudoun Times Mirror had a nice piece last week on the lads:

https://www.loudountimes.com/sports...cle_5b9e3664-a658-11e8-aee1-7b897a30fcef.html

Good Luck to everybodies teams this year!

Last edited:
Looking good so far Tom. What’s your take on the Ponax game this week?

So Woodgrove will look to improve on last years 6-4 season in our last season as a Class 4 program. Quite a few of the Loudoun County Class 4 High Schools have already made the jump up to Class 5 with more to follow next year.

Woodgrove will need to beat the two Class 5 Loudoun powerhouse teams on their schedule this year to ensure a good playoff seeding. Woodgrove will also need to beat the much improved Class 4 teams they have played every year since the school opened. Dominion, Heritage - Leesburg, Loudoun County, Loudoun Valley & Riverside all appear to have improved over last years teams. The 9 game schedule due to Park View's struggles to field a varsity squad will not help matters.

Loudoun Times Mirror had a nice piece last week on the lads:

https://www.loudountimes.com/sports...cle_5b9e3664-a658-11e8-aee1-7b897a30fcef.html

Good Luck to everybodies teams this year!
Too bad they couldn’t fill the 9/28 open spot that Lafayette also had open from Bruton. Both wanted it to be a home game. Too bad they all couldn’t make it a 2 game series. This year here, next year up there.

Too bad they couldn’t fill the 9/28 open spot that Lafayette also had open from Bruton. Both wanted it to be a home game. Too bad they all couldn’t make it a 2 game series. This year here, next year up there.
Well I can’t blame woodgrove for wanting that game at home. They travel some distances this year and i don’t think they wanted to add to it.

Well I can’t blame woodgrove for wanting that game at home. They travel some distances this year and i don’t think they wanted to add to it.
Yeah, I can see that. A very long drive for either team. Big decision for Lafayette if no sub game is to take the forfeit and have 10 games or declare no game and only have 9 officially. I wonder at what time period that decision needs to be made?

Yeah, I can see that. A very long drive for either team. Big decision for Lafayette if no sub game is to take the forfeit and have 10 games or declare no game and only have 9 officially. I wonder at what time period that decision needs to be made?

Is there any other real threat to Lafayette if you get past Norcom this week in the regular season? Will it hurt you that much to only play 9 in the grand scheme of things or not too much? I don't think any other team in the 757 in 4a can go undefeated this year. Unless LT can beat Freedom but I don't see it. KF won't be able to get past OS this year IMO.

Is there any other real threat to Lafayette if you get past Norcom this week in the regular season? Will it hurt you that much to only play 9 in the grand scheme of things or not too much? I don't think any other team in the 757 in 4a can go undefeated this year. Unless LT can beat Freedom but I don't see it. KF won't be able to get past OS this year IMO.
Yes- Poquoson has most of last year’s team back and is very solid. Add Warhill to the list after simply squashing Heritage NN. A real rivalry game. If you can go 9-0 , you declare only 9 games and probably outpoint everyone. If you lose one game it really hurts so you go with the forfeit and the basic points forgetting about rider points. I really don’t know by what date you must declare your decision. Anybody know?

Yes- Poquoson has most of last year’s team back and is very solid. Add Warhill to the list after simply squashing Heritage NN. A real rivalry game. If you can go 9-0 , you declare only 9 games and probably outpoint everyone. If you lose one game it really hurts so you go with the forfeit and the basic points forgetting about rider points. I really don’t know by what date you must declare your decision. Anybody know?

I was shocked that Warhill drubbed HN... especially since Heritage hung with KF during thier scrimmage pretty well. If you could have scheduled Woodgove, they would have been an ideal opponent. I understand your concern about if you lose one... you may be out pointed by another undefeated. My guess is you won’t and will be the only undefeated down there.

Woodgrove would have been their toughest opponent if that game was scheduled. Lafayette was already suppose to have an away game but wanted 6 home games. Lafayette should have traveled.

Woodgrove would have been their toughest opponent if that game was scheduled. Lafayette was already suppose to have an away game but wanted 6 home games. Lafayette should have traveled.

Amen! Lafayette is consistently a contender; however they are certainly not a team who schedules tough games. Its hard to question their method, because they are a contender year in and year out. If a subpar team had an open date the Rams would have loaded up the bus and headed north, south, east or west.

Looking good so far Tom. What’s your take on the Ponax game this week?

It's gonna be a tough road game.
We find out where we are this week!
Both of these teams struggled last year and they will both want a signature win early on in this season.
We hear that Massaponax has a few more studs this year versus last year.

We need to beat Class 5 Massaponax before we can worry about Class 5 Broad Run and Tuscorora the following two weeks.
I hope our guys can stay healthy the next three weeks and win all three games.

One good thing about this week is I believe the lads will be travelling to Massaponax in motorcoaches instead of school buses!

It was to be an away game at Bruton which is 10 minutes away, so a 3 hour drive is a different away game entirely. The original schedule had 6 away games, coverting this to a home game would have made it 5-5.

Reactions: OCBoy
It was to be an away game at Bruton which is 10 minutes away, so a 3 hour drive is a different away game entirely. The original schedule had 6 away games, coverting this to a home game would have made it 5-5.

Woodgrove was in the same boat this year, 6 Away games and 4 Home games.

Park View is one less Away game now.

Amen! Lafayette is consistently a contender; however they are certainly not a team who schedules tough games. Its hard to question their method, because they are a contender year in and year out. If a subpar team had an open date the Rams would have loaded up the bus and headed north, south, east or west.
Lafayette was or is in negotiations with Culprp
lafayette was/is in negotiations with Culpeper but I don’t know if that will work out. Not sure if that was to home or away. Not much open on 9/28 as one would expect.

At least two 2A Clarke County sources (Director of Operations being one) said that Woodgrove offered them $3000 to come over and play them. Clarke County elected to go to West Point instead.

That would not surprise me.

Clarke County is just across the Mountain from Woodgrove.

Woodgrove either scrimmages or plays Clarke County competitively in most varsity sports each year. Clarke County competes hard with Woodgrove and we love our neighbors to the west.

That would not surprise me.

Clarke County is just across the Mountain from Woodgrove.

Woodgrove either scrimmages or plays Clarke County competitively in most varsity sports each year. Clarke County competes hard with Woodgrove and we love our neighbors to the west.
That would have been an away game I could attend! Not gonna travel 4 hours for a regular season game.

Lafayette was or is in negotiations with Culprp

lafayette was/is in negotiations with Culpeper but I don’t know if that will work out. Not sure if that was to home or away. Not much open on 9/28 as one would expect.
Culpeper picked up Riverside and will play at Riverside so that gives them their 10 games...

It's gonna be a tough road game.
We find out where we are this week!
Both of these teams struggled last year and they will both want a signature win early on in this season.
We hear that Massaponax has a few more studs this year versus last year.

We need to beat Class 5 Massaponax before we can worry about Class 5 Broad Run and Tuscorora the following two weeks.
I hope our guys can stay healthy the next three weeks and win all three games.

One good thing about this week is I believe the lads will be travelling to Massaponax in motorcoaches instead of school buses!
Hope they don't take 95 south. Smart move would be 29 south to route 17 south or route 3 east. 95 is a parking lot on Fridays especially with this Friday being a holiday friday

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Culpeper picked up Riverside and will play at Riverside so that gives them their 10 games...

Thanks for the info - see it already reflected on max preps for Culpeper. At this point Lafayette will probably play 9 games as I know of no further possibilities.

Last edited:

I don't feel obligated to defend the Rams, but.....a 10 team "district" keeps their options "landlocked"...you can't always schedule top tier 4A teams year in and year out for your one and only OOD game. And is it fair to judge them on their one OOD game when we don't know what the AD's were trying to negotiate? Or the scheduling conflicts that may exist?
Smithfield played Surry (1A) for YEARS because of the gate. It was the Battle of Rt. 10. It created an enormous gate revenue. It KILLED us in PP every year. But created a monetary windfall for Surry and helped their PP rating. Personally, I would love to play Dinwiddie or Monacan or LT as our opening game for the next 20 years. I'd rather take a drubbing from them than beat an inferior opponent by 50. I have no idea who we are playing next year for our opening game. I just know it isn't your Generals.

Last edited:
I get it. Cant argue their method it works. They just guarantee themselves a 9 to 10 win season each year; therefore, they get a 1 or 2 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT