G ;;;; S

First downs 8 ;;;; 15

Rushes-yards 34-138 ;;;; 38-249

Yards passing 53 ;;;; 123

C-A-I 6-17-0 ;;;; 4-7-1

F/L 1-1 ;;;; 2-2

Penalties 3-20 ;;;; 3-25

Punts 8-32.7 ;;;; 3-31.3

The inability to pass is what killed GW. Byrnes came in completing 67% of his passes for an average of 180ypg and a couple TDs. 35% completion, 130 yards below his average, and no TDs.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
GW was doing a good job stopping the run for a while. But with the offense not moving the ball, defense was just on the field too long, and at some point Salem will wear you down.
The ten in the box bothered Salem for a while but two passes to the tight end loosened things up. GW s chance to stay close ended with Salems goal line stand on the 1 yard line.

G ;;;; S

First downs 8 ;;;; 15

Rushes-yards 34-138 ;;;; 38-249

Yards passing 53 ;;;; 123

C-A-I 6-17-0 ;;;; 4-7-1

F/L 1-1 ;;;; 2-2

Penalties 3-20 ;;;; 3-25

Punts 8-32.7 ;;;; 3-31.3

The inability to pass is what killed GW. Byrnes came in completing 67% of his passes for an average of 180ypg and a couple TDs. 35% completion, 130 yards below his average, and no TDs.
Another year, more piss poor playcalling and execution. Salem whips GW’s ass the same way every year and the head coach hasn’t figured it out yet. Good luck to the Spartans. The final 4 in Class 4 will be loaded.

Another year, more piss poor playcalling and execution. Salem whips GW’s ass the same way every year and the head coach hasn’t figured it out yet. Good luck to the Spartans. The final 4 in Class 4 will be loaded.
What was the final was my prediction right or was it off?

I wouldn’t say piss poor play calling. Obviously the execution wasn’t there. One thing that I’ve noticed the last few years playing Salem is that all season long we never face a defense that is anywhere close to Salem’s level. I believe that our guys always have a little sticker shock when plays that all season are wide open, all of a sudden are defended superbly. Also, because we face weaker defenses majority of the season, we hit big plays and score, and aren’t forced to move the ball little by little and convert third downs, which Salem is going to make you do. We beat a dead horse with this, but Piedmont district competition in no way shape or form gets us ready for Salem. The coaches let players know this obviously, but until guys see that Salem caliber type defense live you can’t prepare for it the same way. We schedule tough opponents as possible early in the year, but what can you do. Really would have liked to have played Dinwiddie to help prepare for Salem but Covid struck.

If D Howard didn’t get in at goal line on 2nd and goal just before half I’ll kiss your collective asses. Big difference being down 20-7 and 20-14 with Salem getting ball to start 2nd half. Official on Salem side screwed GW in that situation. No excuse in what happened afterwards but that was a big call in big situation.

If D Howard didn’t get in at goal line on 2nd and goal just before half I’ll kiss your collective asses. Big difference being down 20-7 and 20-14 with Salem getting ball to start 2nd half. Official on Salem side screwed GW in that situation. No excuse in what happened afterwards but that was a big call in big situation.
Pucker up, brah. He ain’t get in.

Would 48 - 21 made you feel better?

None of us had an angle to see if he got in. Only the official and chain gang could see it. Not even Coaches

You pucker up m’fer. The players on the field know. Ask them. Ask your Salem boys.

Officials can’t guess in those situations. No way the sideline official or the chain gang could know where the ball was. I know how crews work but the umpire should have been able to make the call.

The body language of both teams indicated he was in. I’m going to say he and the ball broke the plane and he got pushed back. What the sideline official called was the aftermath and probably had some help calling it.

Complexions of games change w momentum swings. That call and that play were decisive. A score there and GW likely goes into halftime w a renewed confidence.

In the end, the game came down to lost opportunities by GW and Salem taking advantage of theirs. That’s why they are the champs and will be until someone knocks them off. That’s acknowledged but no one that knows football can’t say that sequence at the end of the half was huge both ways.

It’s over. Good luck to you guys.

DSH told me to make sure y’all know that that’s not him above ^. 😂

I agree though. Looked like DH got in but we shot ourselves in the foot. DH should’ve played QB for a good majority of the game last night.

💋 💋 💋 I’ll be at Chip n Jos for breakfast tomorrow at 8:30 sharp. Bring your chapstick. He didn’t get in.

It’s figured out all year before the season starts in the weight room.

I’m pretty sure a lot of people including GW coaches know what it takes to beat a team like Salem. Broad Run will know. Knowing it and doing it are 2 different things.

Let’s give Salem some credit. They have been, and appear to be, a more disciplined team and tougher team mentally and physically than their opponents. That showed up last night. Scheme aside, you aren’t going to beat them unless you can match that.

Salem plays hard for 48 minutes. You have to take advantage of your opportunities and the Eagles didn’t.

I’m pretty sure a lot of people including GW coaches know what it takes to beat a team like Salem. Broad Run will knowKnowing it and doing it are 2 different things.

Let’s give Salem some credit. They have been, and appear to be, a more disciplined team and tougher team mentally and physically than their opponents. That showed up last night. Scheme aside, you aren’t going to beat them unless you can match that.

Salem plays hard for 48 minutes. You have to take advantage of your opportunities and the Eagles didn’t.

Well let’s break Down the thought that if GW were in a different District would make the difference in Beating Salem

the teams that made the Region D Playoffs
Of these teams GW beat 4 of them Orange WA
Amherst and Halifax they lost to Salem and Glass now if Playing in the Seminole District
Would have made a difference for GW why did
Glass and Amherst not go farther in the playoffs
If playing in the Jefferson district would have made a difference well GW beat two of the 3 tri
Champs in that district as far as Salem nobody
Has beat them from any District so does that mean that any Coaches from any team they played Piss poor none of that logic makes sense

If it's related to my thought that a lot of people know what it takes to beat Salem yet knowing and doing is two different things then I'm going to say you've taken that wrong.

My point was to refute a poster that said GW had never learned what it takes to beat Salem. I disagree completely. I think most good coaches know you have to somehow match their toughness in all areas. You also have to take advantage of opportunities and you cannot make mistakes. That is much easier said than done.

To Salem's credit they have through the years out-toughed their opponents, forced teams into mistakes and taken away opportunities. Can we agree that's what good teams do?

Someone in another thread said this. "In region 4D it's Salem and everyone else." That has proven to be true. Once this season is in the books we can debate next year but until someone beats them it will remain that way

With you there.

You play who is in your district. Bassett and Halifax are getting better. MV is always tough. Martinsville improved this year.

I don't think GW's non district schedule can get much tougher. It's been well documented as to why they didn't play Dinwiddie this year but they are back on the schedule next fall. Throw in Glass, Amherst and Nation Ford? Not many teams would want that schedule.

Coach Anderson and his staff will have a very inexperienced squad next year but my money says the Eagles will be in the hunt come next November.

Reactions: lyhsports
If you look at GW’s Schedule this past season
Every Team they played Made the playoffs

Making the playoffs isn’t as meaningful as it was 15 years ago though. Yes, Martinsville and Bassett are improving but for 6 weeks GW is pretty much guaranteed an easy win. It would help to play Salem or a team like Salem in the regular season.

Well Bo, as you know, teams get 10 games plus the benefit game. Six district opponents are locked in. That leaves four slots for non district. As far as I know GW schedule next season will be same as it was this year except sites will flip.

As to the four out of district opponents, Nation Ford probably wasn't as strong this past season as people thought but they weren't chopped liver. No idea what they have returning but they are a 5A SC school. They do have to come to Danville.

Dinwiddie, last I checked, is traditionally strong. Glass should be good again next year and look for Amherst to be improved. Seems I recall they were young. Most would say that the non district schedule is pretty tough.

Well Bo, as you know, teams get 10 games plus the benefit game. Six district opponents are locked in. That leaves four slots for non district. As far as I know GW schedule next season will be same as it was this year except sites will flip.

As to the four out of district opponents, Nation Ford probably wasn't as strong this past season as people thought but they weren't chopped liver. No idea what they have returning but they are a 5A SC school. They do have to come to Danville.

Dinwiddie, last I checked, is traditionally strong. Glass should be good again next year and look for Amherst to be improved. Seems I recall they were young. Most would say that the non district schedule is pretty tough.
Non district was tough. Much improved from the years we played Person County every year. Would like to see either Pulaski, Reidsville or Salem added instead of Nation Ford and Amherst. Amherst is one of those teams who is either really good or terribly bad. No in between.

Just the way 4D is, GW is probably always a safe bet for the POs but there's something to be said about making too much of a murderer's row out of your OOD schedule. Imagine Dinwiddie this year, Glass, remove Amherst for Salem, switch NF for a tough local opponent like maybe LB and that's got 1-3 or 0-4 written all over it and then you're playing to squeak in at the back of the points and you're on the road the entire playoffs with a much tougher schedule and man, if a district opponent gets you (eventually it will happen to GW lol) then you're talking 6-4 or 5-5 and praying to slide in at the 8 spot with rider points.

GW's OOD was honestly fine this year with the exception being that they couldn't make the Dinwiddie game happen. NF is a decent team most years but no title contender, Amherst is Amherst. Glass was a really good opener and Dinwiddie would have really tested them.

Don't disagree with any of you. This may change but I'm told GW is one of those schools that does have trouble scheduling. Some people don't want to play them.

Location puts them close to some strong NC opponents. An insider told me they talked to at least 4 strong NC schools that would have been good OOD games but there ended up being conflicts. NF wasn't plugged in until spring.

Don't disagree with any of you. This may change but I'm told GW is one of those schools that does have trouble scheduling. Some people don't want to play them.

Location puts them close to some strong NC opponents. An insider told me they talked to at least 4 strong NC schools that would have been good OOD games but there ended up being conflicts. NF wasn't plugged in until spring.
For years, the problem with scheduling NC schools was that they operated on three-year schedules while VA operated on two.

These days, the biggest problem is that they generally have few problems filling out their schedules with teams also from NC. It takes two to tango.

NC has never been on 3 year schedules that I'm aware. It's almost not possible given that contracts of OOD games or non conference games as they call them are done for 2 years. A 3 year schedule would mean the home and homes would not even out.

I think what you may be referring to is that for a long time the realignments took place at different times. NC realigns every 4 years and if they started a new realignment the year before we did and had a 2 year contract then their schools and our schools would have a hard time matching up dates unless they agreed to a single game on the odd year.

Not sure what year or how it happened but these days the realignments are aligned. lol I know GW and Reidsville played not that many years ago. Bassett used to play Eden and so did MV. MV played Reidsville not too many years ago.

Your point is well taken but I'm pretty sure if GW could schedule someone closer than NF or Dinwiddie they would.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT