ADVERTISEMENT

would someone be kind enough to explain

pcken

VaPreps Varsity
Feb 6, 2006
the exact way points are decided. I've heard 6 8 10 12 14 16 pts for 1a to 6a and so many rider pts. I dont understand how the tenths points show up. example .333

Play a game: Base points

Beat a 6A - 26 points
Beat a 5A - 24 points
Beat a 4A - 22 points
Beat a 3A - 20 points
Beat a 2A - 18 points
Beat a 1A - 16 points

Lose to 6A - 14 points
Lose to 5A - 12 points
Lose to 4A - 10 points
Lose to 3A - 8 points
Lose to 2A - 6 points
Lose to 1A - 4 points

After that: bonus points

Receive 2 points per win from every team you beat.
Receive 1 point per win from every team that beat you.

For example: Salem vs Pulaski from Pulaski's POV:

Beat Salem - Receive 22 base points and 18(9 Salem wins x 2) bonus points
Lose to Salem - Receive 10 base points and 10(10 Salem wins x 1) bonus points

Total that up and divide by games played. That is where your decimal points come from, the division across total games played.

Last edited:
the exact way points are decided. I've heard 6 8 10 12 14 16 pts for 1a to 6a and so many rider pts. I dont understand how the tenths points show up. example .333
You get 26,24,22,20,18,16 for beating 6a-1a teams. You get 13,12,11,10,8,6 for losing to 6a-1a. If you beat a team you get 2 points for each of their wins through out the season. If you lose to a team you get 1 pt for each win. That's your bonus/rider points now you take that, add it all up and divide by the number of games you have played

Thus you can see why scheduling above your level, even if you lose, is usually worth your while. Losing to an undefeated 6A team is worth 24 points. Carroll County, for instance, is currently worth exactly the same amount of points right now. Salem used to schedule Franklin County and when they won 8 games Salem would receive 42(!) points for their win over FC. One game worth that much is enough to tip the scales greatly in favor of a lower school who gets a win like that. A win worth that many points can often let you lose 2 or even 3 games and still make the playoffs.

There is also extra bonus points for playing a lower division for example. This is only an example so i really dont know how many wins Christiansburg has on the season, Salem 4A 9-0 record (RRD) plays Christiansburg 3A 2-7 record (RRD) and wins....Salem gets 20 points + 4 points for Christiansburg ' s season wins and they also receive 2 extra points for playing down to a lower division school in district (3A). If Christiansburg was a non - district lower division they would only get 1 extra bonus point.

I thought the bonus points for playing down were only for in district competition and for all sports except football.

ADVERTISEMENT