ADVERTISEMENT

Wouldn't This Have Been the Opening Week?

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Not really sure how the calendar would have fallen, but under "normal" circumstances, I would assume that this Friday the 28th would have been the first weekend for high school football in most cases.

Had that been the case, I am sure fans across the state would have already been discussing their carpool plans, and getting the chairs, blankets and ponchos etc. ready for action. I can say with complete confidence that the usual number of Gladiator fans would have made the trip down to Montross, filled your bleachers and lined your fence, since we do travel quite well. Heck we have one or two guys that can single-handedly wipe out a concession stand!!!

So although that trip is out of the question for this fall, I assume that at some point this season will be made up since it was the second half of a two-year cycle. So to the folks at W & L, along with Glenvar and Colonial Beach, we are well aware that we owe you a home game and we look forward to honoring those commitments at some point. Likewise.......Skyline fans we hope to see you in Greenville one of these old days.

I am sure I speak for fans all across the state when I say this will be a dull and boring fall but maybe we can make up for it in the spring.

Not really sure how the calendar would have fallen, but under "normal" circumstances, I would assume that this Friday the 28th would have been the first weekend for high school football in most cases.

Had that been the case, I am sure fans across the state would have already been discussing their carpool plans, and getting the chairs, blankets and ponchos etc. ready for action. I can say with complete confidence that the usual number of Gladiator fans would have made the trip down to Montross, filled your bleachers and lined your fence, since we do travel quite well. Heck we have one or two guys that can single-handedly wipe out a concession stand!!!

So although that trip is out of the question for this fall, I assume that at some point this season will be made up since it was the second half of a two-year cycle. So to the folks at W & L, along with Glenvar and Colonial Beach, we are well aware that we owe you a home game and we look forward to honoring those commitments at some point. Likewise.......Skyline fans we hope to see you in Greenville one of these old days.

I am sure I speak for fans all across the state when I say this will be a dull and boring fall but maybe we can make up for it in the spring.

Well put @longtimerhsfan. I would think it will be difficult to honor the travel commitments this year if the schedule is trimmed back to 60% of the original though. It's likely that the Gladiators will only play their district games like most other teams around the state. I am still on the fence as to whether they will be given the all clear to play in Feb at all. It certainly is heartbreaking for athletes around the state that would be going for team and/or state records with a "normal" season.

IF we see the athletes able to come back and play basketball, wrestle, and such when we hit December then there is hope. The sports landscape has been changed forever though so it will be those that adapt the quickest when things start back up that will see early success.

On a personal note, coaching rec baseball over this last two months and having some normalcy there has been great. Surprisingly the measures put in place to protect the athletes and fans had been received well and followed for the most part. A common sense approach when implemented correctly has shown to work in a group of players that consist of 4 age groups of roughly 190 players total.

We can only hope for things to return to normal at some point very soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT