ADVERTISEMENT

WOW!!!!! 44-1

Bo Bob

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 1, 2016
So I sat back the other day and took time to absorb the past season. 14-1 and a third state championship.
Then I took in what transpired over the past 3 years. To think the Raiders went 44-1 over the past three years is truly amazing! That's 4.5 years of games packed into 3 seasons. Those kids and those coaches have sacrificed bunch (not that they would trade it) for what they have earned.
44-1 with that "1" coming to the team that darn near won the state title in 3A (Heritage).
Congrats to those kids, coach Smith, and his staff.

So I sat back the other day and took time to absorb the past season. 14-1 and a third state championship.
Then I took in what transpired over the past 3 years. To think the Raiders went 44-1 over the past three years is truly amazing! That's 4.5 years of games packed into 3 seasons. Those kids and those coaches have sacrificed bunch (not that they would trade it) for what they have earned.
44-1 with that "1" coming to the team that darn near won the state title in 3A (Heritage).
Congrats to those kids, coach Smith, and his staff.

It also shows in my opinion how hard it is to win just one state title, and it really points out how tough it is to win a total of 3 titles in a row and here's why.

What if Richland's holds on in 2015 to beat Appo when they had a 2 TD lead with about 6 minutes or 7 minutes left in the game? Added to this, what if Union or Lee beat Appo this year. Both were close. Now, these are "what ifs, buts, ets" and they DID NOT happen because Appo has been the best AA or Class 2A team in Virginia over the past 3 years, but even Appo had close calls and the 44-1 could have easily been 42-3, and you can see the difference in 44-1 compared to 42-3. The difference could have been only 1 state title, even though it has been obvious Appo has been the best Class 2A team in Virginia the past 3 years by a pretty dang substantial margin. But....we could be talking about 1 state title. This is why its impressive to what Appo has done. They just didn't slip up. When they were in a few close games or even in a game that looked like they were in major trouble against Richlands in 2015, they found a way to win. This is exceptionally rare for a High School Team to run off this many, and these types of wins over a long stretch, yet Appo has done that.

What's equally impressive in my opinion, but will likely never be talked about or remembered much in 20 years is what Richlands did from 2005 to 2016. Look at their numbers in those 11-12 seasons and its absolutely stupid scary good. But, having only 1 title and slipping up probably 4 times in which they were likely the better team if they played that team 10 times, they win 7, but.....the big games matter and titles matter. If Richlands adds 3 more titles in that 12 year run and has a total of 4, it would be talked about for years and years to come. The overall record is as impressive or more than any AA or Class 2A team since the 1980's when Virginia went to 6 divisions, but.....the lack of winning that final game matters just as much, which again in my opinion, points out how special the run by Appo has been.

Reactions: Hburghokie
Those 2015, 2016 teams were DOMINATE against everyone they faced EXCEPT Richlands. That game was a dog fight pure and simple. We turned the ball over twice inside their 5 in the first half which hurt us BUT our lone score in the first half was a forced fumble which we recovered.
That game was just an absolute classic!!!
This year however this team fought and clawed for every win they got. They have a whole new O line with the exception on their left tackle. They also replaced a lot of the D line. Linebackers and cover guys also needed replacing in many spots too. There was a few "leftovers" from 2016 but not many (21 seniors---most major contributors lost to graduation) .
Special teams (snapper, holder, and kicker) even was a total new system but scored around 110 points over the year. They went multiple games in a row in the regular season without having to punt which was somewhat of a concern going into playoffs for lack of game reps for that unit.

This team battled several great teams through the playoffs. Giles (which might have got our best game), a stout Glenvar squad, and a hoss of a Union team that had an explosive athlete (who just signed with VT) that was a threat EVERY time he touched the ball. Finally a RE LEE team that was VERY athletic, Very big, and VERY well coached.
Through all of that what lucas said is truly amazing. Just how hard it is go to 44-1 and win your final game three years in a row.
They have an awesome coach in Doug Smith and his staff. Hopefully with some off season growth some (lose 16 seniors to graduation this year I think) new faces can step up to carry Appomattox on next year to whatever the Lord has in store for them.

Reactions: Hburghokie
How many seniors from this year's team started as sophomores 3 years ago?

How many seniors from this year's team started as sophomores 3 years ago?
4 seniors started as sophomores, actually 3 of those 4 played as Freshman. the other 11 to 12 seniors had no significant playing time until as Juniors and didn't start until they were seniors. Most of them started as seniors

Reactions: eh31
Those 2015, 2016 teams were DOMINATE against everyone they faced EXCEPT Richlands. That game was a dog fight pure and simple. We turned the ball over twice inside their 5 in the first half which hurt us BUT our lone score in the first half was a forced fumble which we recovered.
This year however this team fought and clawed for every win they got. They have a whole new O line with the exception on their left tackle. They also replaced a lot of the D line. Linebackers and cover guys also needed replacing in many spots too. There was a few "leftovers" from 2016 but not many (21 seniors---most major contributors lost to graduation) .
Special teams (snapper, holder, and kicker) even was a total new system but scored around 110 points over the year. They went multiple games in a row in the regular season without having to punt which was somewhat of a concern going into playoffs for lack of game reps for that unit.

This team battled several great teams through the playoffs. Giles (which might have got our best game), a stout Glenvar squad, and a hoss of a Union team that had an explosive athlete (who just signed with VT) that was a threat EVERY time he touched the ball. Finally a RE LEE team that was VERY athletic, Very big, and VERY well coached.
Through all of that what lucas said is truly amazing. Just how hard it is go to 44-1 and win your final game three years in a row.
They have an awesome coach in Doug Smith and his staff. Hopefully with some off season growth some (lose 16 seniors to graduation this year I think) new faces can step up to carry Appomattox on next year to whatever the Lord has in store for them.
Dominated everyone? I feel like 2016 DR, and 2015 Rustburg and 2015 Buckingham would argue they weren't dominated. 3 one score football games and the Buck one went to OT. Still 44-1 is impressive just saying not everyone win was a blowout

Dominated everyone? I feel like 2016 DR, and 2015 Rustburg and 2015 Buckingham would argue they weren't dominated. 3 one score football games and the Buck one went to OT. Still 44-1 is impressive just saying not everyone win was a blowout
True!
I forgot those early ones in 15
16 DR was close for sure

Guess I meant more playoffs. My bad on those!

You're good still the vast majority blowouts and really 3 tight playoff games in 3 years with Richlands 15, Union in 17, and RE Lee. Raiders have had a dominating run!

Like i said many times before. there are many that sport around 3 rings and Coach Smith said himself. THIS IS THE RING YALL HAVE WON!! I said this team wasnt going to do it and i had doubt, but they conquered and made me a believer. They earned this years ring after all the talk of them getting a ring and along for the ride. Yep, I guilty of that. I am here to say, 2017 team EARNED IT THE HARD WAY!!! they should be wearing that 3rd one proud (and humble)!

when i was witnessed that Ferguson kid running the rock on JV, i said that kid got it. I see him being the next big thing in backfield. I hope he works on top end speed though, but the hip movement and making people miss is there. I cant wait to see what Appo offers in next few years and a NEW ERA. IM PO1 FOR LIFE!!!!

Reactions: oldfool and Bo Bob
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT