ADVERTISEMENT

Wow! High water in the beach area.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
After as much as 12" of rain in some areas, I just have to believe there are going to be football field problems Friday night. I'm sure the many turf fields are fine, but sod fields could be a problem.

I don't think waiting until Saturday, or even Monday night will make much difference. Other than the enhanced risk of injury, the worst thing about the situation is the damage that will occur to the field surfaces. There are a lot of games left, and the weather will not allow very much recovery.

It's just weather, nothing that anyone can control. And very few options are available to the AD's. Like a memorable coach once said, "it is what it is", (or something close to that)!

We were just like you two until this round started. We have received about 3" here.

Lafayette, I agree that the weather over your way is another push for turf. We are usually not seriously affected by sustained and excessive rain like you guys closer to the coast are.But, I think the consensus opinion in areas like ours has changed in recent years to the belief that turf is acceptable if it can be afforded.

I sure don't want to get the discussion started again for the 80th time about which is the better economical choice, but there can be little argument about the practicality. All weather surface. No grass to cut. No lines to paint. No need to restrict football practices for fear of tearing up the surface. If designed right, no standing water practically immediately after a heavy shower. No characteristic muddy patches on the sidelines in front of the benches.

I know there is still maintenance on a turf field. And performed as prescribed, it's more than most realize. Of course you have the additional concerns with heat early in the season like we had this year. Or during spring sports season. You have the questions and concerns about the added injury danger. I would like to hope the current version of the little rubber beads used in the turf are safe and not considered the health risk that the old ground up rubber presented.

Hey Clarke, would you make a little donation to us so we can have turf installed. About $1.2 million should about cover all our needs.

We were just like you two until this round started. We have received about 3" here.

Lafayette, I agree that the weather over your way is another push for turf. We are usually not seriously affected by sustained and excessive rain like you guys closer to the coast are.But, I think the consensus opinion in areas like ours has changed in recent years to the belief that turf is acceptable if it can be afforded.

I sure don't want to get the discussion started again for the 80th time about which is the better economical choice, but there can be little argument about the practicality. All weather surface. No grass to cut. No lines to paint. No need to restrict football practices for fear of tearing up the surface. If designed right, no standing water practically immediately after a heavy shower. No characteristic muddy patches on the sidelines in front of the benches.

I know there is still maintenance on a turf field. And performed as prescribed, it's more than most realize. Of course you have the additional concerns with heat early in the season like we had this year. Or during spring sports season. You have the questions and concerns about the added injury danger. I would like to hope the current version of the little rubber beads used in the turf are safe and not considered the health risk that the old ground up rubber presented.

Hey Clarke, would you make a little donation to us so we can have turf installed. About $1.2 million should about cover all our needs.

Well, I am working on my 3rd million now. I gave up on the first 2.

This is the reason 8 of 10 Bay Rivers teams play on turf here. A lot of rain all the time. No soggy, muddy and bald patch fields- a fair field for both sides.

If both teams are playing on the same field, all things are equal and fair.

York County and James City County have tax bases that allow that type of field to be built and maintained. Smithfield - not so much. Bruton's field is extremely well maintained and has great drainage for a grass playing surface. Packer Field has been referred to as the "Pig Pen" since it opened in 1984, and I doubt that we'll ever see that change, ever. It took a sizable, private, anonymous donation to get a working scoreboard put in place.

I remember the first season that Wanner was open, the Packers played Warhill in an absolute monsoon rain, a tropical depression was moving through, we probably had 5-6" of rain during the game and there wasn't a single puddle ANYWHERE in that stadium. That facility is top notch. Great lighting and seating. Although, I do miss seeing FG and XP attempts bouncing off of cars on Longhill Rd. LOL! Cooley Field has an extra special feel.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud

York County and James City County have tax bases that allow that type of field to be built and maintained. Smithfield - not so much. Bruton's field is extremely well maintained and has great drainage for a grass playing surface. Packer Field has been referred to as the "Pig Pen" since it opened in 1984, and I doubt that we'll ever see that change, ever. It took a sizable, private, anonymous donation to get a working scoreboard put in place.

I remember the first season that Wanner was open, the Packers played Warhill in an absolute monsoon rain, a tropical depression was moving through, we probably had 5-6" of rain during the game and there wasn't a single puddle ANYWHERE in that stadium. That facility is top notch. Great lighting and seating. Although, I do miss seeing FG and XP attempts bouncing off of cars on Longhill Rd. LOL! Cooley Field has an extra special feel.

I liked standing at the fence at the end zone at Wanner. About what, two yards past the end zone line? Hopewell has a goal post positioned so that a good kicker has a shot at punching out a window in the old school, (now loft apartments).

Reactions: gwb16
I don't think waiting until Saturday, or even Monday night will make much difference. Other than the enhanced risk of injury, the worst thing about the situation is the damage that will occur to the field surfaces. There are a lot of games left, and the weather will not allow very much recovery.

I do not know how prevelent turf fields are in the rest of the commonwealth.

I do know that when Loudoun County first started building new schools with turf fields; those turfs fields were utilized by other schools when the grass fields at the older schools were unplayable.

My advice is to use the home turf fields of schools playing away on Friday And Saturday if need be. That would be a good way to stay on schedule.

What I liked about Cooley field was very high punts went into the darkness! Not the best lighting. Mayb
Anyone heard if the Bethel at Heritage game will still be played tonight?
Anyone heard if the Bethel at Heritage game will still be played tonight?

Bethel/ Heritage game on Sat at 6 pm
Warhill/Smithfield game switched also to Sat at 3pm BUT/ not at Smithfield but st Wanner stadium in Williamsburg.

Reactions: gwb16
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT