ADVERTISEMENT

Wow? This is bad guys. Its in the paper now.

It seems to me that there is a different style of coaching with the new guy. I've read that Gill gave his kids a lot of love, and they responded well to that.

I'm reading now that the kids with discipline and grade problems are against the new coach who doesn't love up on the kids but is pushing responsibility and discipline. That's my take. I'm reading that the kids who were used to having the coach help them slide by with their issues rather than having a coach that demands accountability for actions.

Two different coaching styles is what I'm taking from what I'm reading.

I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to say Gill would let anything slide. Gill was very good at holding players accountable for their actions, and asking more from them. At the same time you knew he cared about you and wanted you to do well for yourself rather than simply do that you can play football. I agree that kids need to take more responsibility, but they need a good reason to take that responsibility.

I dont care which way you look at it, this isnt good for any coach to be in a city paper about his coaching style. I dont ever remember seeing that before. Maybe some of you have, not me.

I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to say Gill would let anything slide. Gill was very good at holding players accountable for their actions, and asking more from them. At the same time you knew he cared about you and wanted you to do well for yourself rather than simply do that you can play football. I agree that kids need to take more responsibility, but they need a good reason to take that responsibility.

So, unless there's a good reason to take responsibility, you shouldn't? I hope that's not what you meant.

Again, I have no bone in this, I did not know coach Gill and I do not know coach Wallace. I'm forming my opinions based on what I have read on here and nothing more.

I'm far removed from this situation, so I can't make an informed comment one way or another, but I really hope you guys get things straightened out and get your team back.

Appomattox can definitely speak to this after last season. Nothing can give a community something to rally around like a HS football team. And at the same time, when the team is in chaos, it brings the whole community down with it.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I have to agree with Advocate.......taking something like this to a newspaper is not good for anybody. Coaching is a subjective profession and unless the guy is doing something that is actually illegal, there are better ways to resolve the situation. By the way I did not read the article, because it asked you to take a questionnaire or something first, so I admit that it might have contained something that would make me think differently, but on the surface, it sounds like an over-reaction.

It's a direct correlation of today's society with high school sports, travel sports, and education. It's always someones else's fault and that person is the "coach" or the "teacher. Today's world is vicious to the say the least with social media/news outlets and parents/people know it. Why not stoke the fire if you are a parent or a group of parents? Little to no protection for coaches. Today's coach is painted in the corner more times than not and all it takes is for 1 angry parent to stir up the masses. Obviously-the article is getting one sided info which is very typical in any of these situations and in no way shape or form is the coach going to comment on any of this in a open setting. High School coaching is not for the faint of heart and get's harder for those men/women each year with parent's and athletes changing every year (and not in a good way) at most schools.

Sounds like kids and parents reacting emotionally instead of logically. I will say though when I saw Buckingham play Goochland the team looked athletic and wasn't lacking in size either. Their downfall was that they played really sloppy, which is usually the coaches faults. Not to mention they ran ones of the simplest offenses to teach, the power I.

Everyone on this site absolutely loves high school football and it is such an awesome game for the schools, towns, parents and fans. That being said, football is not priority over home, life, school, health, grades and overall success of our student athletes. It is a game that teaches and motivates things in life that can be used in the future. For some, it keeps kids focused to pass classes and work hard to graduate. For others, it may be an avenue to a college education. I guess my point is, a high school football player, is a student first and a student athlete second. If Coach Wallace's focus is on making sure the kids are prioritizing things in the right order, he is doing right by the community. That being said, there are ways to get results that are best for the community and the students and he may just need to find that sweet spot. As a Goochlander, i absolutely hate seeing Buckingham in the state they are in. Buckingham has a lot of younger talent and i hope that the team and community can unite behind their football team and coaches to work towards unity that not only creates great young men but also success on the football field.

Everyone on this site absolutely loves high school football and it is such an awesome game for the schools, towns, parents and fans. That being said, football is not priority over home, life, school, health, grades and overall success of our student athletes. It is a game that teaches and motivates things in life that can be used in the future. For some, it keeps kids focused to pass classes and work hard to graduate. For others, it may be an avenue to a college education. I guess my point is, a high school football player, is a student first and a student athlete second. If Coach Wallace's focus is on making sure the kids are prioritizing things in the right order, he is doing right by the community. That being said, there are ways to get results that are best for the community and the students and he may just need to find that sweet spot. As a Goochlander, i absolutely hate seeing Buckingham in the state they are in. Buckingham has a lot of younger talent and i hope that the team and community can unite behind their football team and coaches to work towards unity that not only creates great young men but also success on the football field.
Talent means nothing in HS if you don't work hard to ensure you are eligible to be on the field Friday night. Too many kids think it's a right rather than a privilege to be on the team. It is a complete disservice to the kid to let them slide on academics/discipline just because they can play a game. Remember back in the 80's, we had guys in the NFL that couldn't read. Dexter Manley comes to mind. Now we have thugs in the NFL who beat their wives or girlfriends, run with gangs, do drugs, etc. If you don't tell these kids "No" when they're kids, you end up with idiots for adults.

My apologies, I typed that one fast. What I mean is that kids need someone to motivate them to take responsibility rather than berate them if they do not.
Again, I have no bone in this, I did not know coach Gill and I do not know coach Wallace. I'm forming my opinions based on what I have read on here and nothing more.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
In a final response on this one, if you don't know either Coach you shouldn't assume things about either, especially Coach Gill. That man brought more kids up and led them to where they are today than can be counted. Whether that is helping them get into college, find a job, or just have an outlet away from their terrible home situations. Do not read an article and start accusing someone who you admit to have never met.

It seems to me that there is a different style of coaching with the new guy. I've read that Gill gave his kids a lot of love, and they responded well to that.

I'm reading now that the kids with discipline and grade problems are against the new coach who doesn't love up on the kids but is pushing responsibility and discipline. That's my take. I'm reading that the kids who were used to having the coach help them slide by with their issues rather than having a coach that demands accountability for actions.

Two different coaching styles is what I'm taking from what I'm reading.

In a final response on this one, if you don't know either Coach you shouldn't assume things about either, especially Coach Gill. That man brought more kids up and led them to where they are today than can be counted. Whether that is helping them get into college, find a job, or just have an outlet away from their terrible home situations. Do not read an article and start accusing someone who you admit to have never met.
I don't think I accused anyone of anything, just stated what I was getting from reading all the chatter. I've heard nothing but praise for Coach Gill about him giving love and guidance, but I have not heard anything about how he disciplined players. I just deduced that from the way people were talking about this, it seemed to me that the disgruntled players weren't used to the type of discipline being handed out by coach Wallace. Again, I mean no disrespect to anyone in this situation, just commenting on my opinion of the situation. I know that we're not getting the whole story.

Reactions: nofilter
That's fine. I can assure you Coach Gill was one of the most intimidating men in the world! Soft heart underneath all those layers! Thanks for the clarification. We get riled up around here when people talk negatively about Coach Gill.

I don't think I accused anyone of anything, just stated what I was getting from reading all the chatter. I've heard nothing but praise for Coach Gill about him giving love and guidance, but I have not heard anything about how he disciplined players. I just deduced that from the way people were talking about this, it seemed to me that the disgruntled players weren't used to the type of discipline being handed out by coach Wallace. Again, I mean no disrespect to anyone in this situation, just commenting on my opinion of the situation. I know that we're not getting the whole story.

I have been a HS coach (non football) and teacher. Don't know anything about Buckingham. What I do know is that once a program has been built and a legend is gone, it's not going to go well for the new guy no matter what he does. At least for awhile. It doesn't make sense that a new coach would dismiss his best player without very good reason. Pretty sure it was the last thing the coach wanted to do. There is a lot more to this story.

News flash....Kids today are EXTREMELY entitled and many don't want to work hard or they don't feel they should be held accountable for grades or defiant attitudes...Entitlement is fueled by parents that rarely put the responsibility for failure on their kids. It's usually the coaches or the teachers fault.. even though most coaches sacrifice greatly, often with little support or encouragement from anyone. What many don't realize is that the pay is usually less than minimum wage. What's even worse is that once your team gets really good and competes with the best at the top level of the state....the claws really come out because parents want even more. It's like you can never win. Coach Gill is a saint now but I bet you can go back and find times when even he washarshly criticized. To be a coach nowadays, you have to be able to ignore the criticism and just do it for the kids or decide it just isn't worth it and get all your evenings and weekends back.

"According to Lockett, during the Knights’ homecoming game, when they were being shut out by another team, coaches high-fived and “danced” on the sideline when a student fell in the mud face down."

This part of the article jumped out at me. I haven't seen both sides of the story, but a picture is ermerging of a bunch of clowns who A) Don't know what they are doing and B) Aren't taking the job seriously. If the guy that posted here really is an assistant coach there, we have all witnessed the immaturity and unprofessionalism that seems to be at the heart of the matter.

You never want to be the "guy" after "THE GUY". This coach may have great intentions but coming in belittling and completely changing what was there is not a good start. If you are going to follow a legend and change a bunch of stuff you better put out the results(winning) or else kids aren't going to buy in. This coach may have the best intentions but not know how to get them across. I can serve you a steak dinner on a trash can lid and I doubt any of you would eat it. Love on them first and foremost, then you can get them to do whatever you want...imo.

Reactions: KnightsFan1776
"According to Lockett, during the Knights’ homecoming game, when they were being shut out by another team, coaches high-fived and “danced” on the sideline when a student fell in the mud face down."

This part of the article jumped out at me. I haven't seen both sides of the story, but a picture is ermerging of a bunch of clowns who A) Don't know what they are doing and B) Aren't taking the job seriously. If the guy that posted here really is an assistant coach there, we have all witnessed the immaturity and unprofessionalism that seems to be at the heart of the matter.
I can really relate to the parents of the players who saw their coaches dancing during a shutout loss. A few years ago our team was getting hammered by Glenvar at halftime. I think it was like 40+ to 0. Our head coach was on the field during halftime taking pictures with his brother laughing and joking. He didn't go into the locker room til about 5 min. left till kickoff. The rest of our coaches sat on the bench outside the locker room the entire time. I do believe that for some coaches it's just a "job". First round of the playoffs last year against Richlands of course we were getting hammered he had already given up and his attitude proved it. My oldest son took offense to this because they have been taught to never give up and always play your hardest til the very end. So I know what these parents are going through.just hope they can get it worked out before athletes start leaving the program.

As the saying goes, "No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care". Worh that said, if the new coach expects accountability in a different manner that usually does have some negative reactions initially. I have no knowledge of either of the coaches but respect the admiration for the previous coach. It will take time

The fact of the matter is this. When a player appreciates and respects their coach and feel the coach feels the same way about the player, the player will put forth more effort. He'll practice a little harder, lift weights a little more often, concentrate on pre game and halftime warm ups just a little more, be just a little more focused in the game. And on Friday nights that little bit of extra usually means a whole lot on the scoreboard.

Again I say the main problem here is not the losing its the relationship with the coaches and players that's killing this whole thing. When you are 0-0 and players are saying I would quit if I could still play basketball you have a problem. Well when kids go down on the field and it's the opposing team's staff on the field before yours kids and parents notice, it's happened quite a few times. Matter fact my nephew broke his ankle last week in practice he told my sister he saw my nephew laying down on the sidelines but didn't know he was hurt, my sister said if he's laying on the ground at practice why wouldn't you see why and he told her well he hurt himself horse playing and she said if you knew that you knew he was hurt. I posted about the kid with the concussion that cant go to school and has to learn to write again and his mother said only my nephew calls and check on her son. 2 days after one of our coaches jumped on they decided to visit him. Until I didn't mention that they hadn't. Coach Gill didn't sit all these rules in place because kids wanted to play for him so everything else took care of itself. They have study hall everyday before practice and have to turn in grades from their classes to Coach Wallace every week so if Rahim was failing like the coaches say he was then why wasn't they helping him in study hall? Because he wasn't. His main words to parents and players about an issue is I don't care I've heard it myself sitting in the stands while coaches are turned around arguing with people in the stands. He said if you miss practice you need a doctor's note or you don't play well my nephew and Rahim both had doctors notes to take the Saturday off after the Central game because they both were taken to the hospital and both were told Monday morning they weren't playing and they did not. How does that look to them. You don't think it was complete change when Gill took over after Coach Morris who was there since I was a kid. We new Gill was the Coach and he didn't have to use his title to prove it and that's what Coach Wallace is doing.

I don't have anything to do with any of it. It struck me as odd however reading this article, plus I read all the chatter in the other thread, that nothing but mothers were quoted as speaking up in that board meeting. Where is the voice of reason? Were there fathers there who just didn't get quoted? As long, as you have mothers and mothers only as the voices of reason and authority in these kids lives', then you know why this situation occurred and why much of the nonsense we have seen in this country in the last few years has as well. Sounds like a little accountability needed here!

I don't have anything to do with any of it. It struck me as odd however reading this article, plus I read all the chatter in the other thread, that nothing but mothers were quoted as speaking up in that board meeting. Where is the voice of reason? Were there fathers there who just didn't get quoted? As long, as you have mothers and mothers only as the voices of reason and authority in these kids lives', then you know why this situation occurred and why much of the nonsense we have seen in this country in the last few years has as well. Sounds like a little accountability needed here!
this is the most ignorant statement I have ever read on VApreps. I call in BCknights to go in on this dude!

Reactions: obguthr
this is the most ignorant statement I have ever read on VApreps. I call in BCknights to go in on this dude!

Why is it ignorant or holier than thou? Did you not read the article? All of the comments or quotes in the newspaper were from the mothers of players and none from men or fathers. Don't start something you cant finish when you call somebody ignorant. I don't care who you or BCKnights are. I read the article and asked point blank about it. I don't care about you, Buckingham or anybody up there, its their mess and I do not have to deal with it. It does not however change the fact, there were nothing but mothers quoted in the article. Mothers are always going to be more emotional than men or fathers. They are always going to worry about player safety and whether or not their kids are being treated fairly. Plus when you have three kids go to the hospital at once then it heightens the level of scrutiny upon injury and then all of a sudden more emphasis will be placed upon worrying on that kind of stuff. From the beginning of time, females have always and will continue to be more emotional than men. Only problem is that it is bleeding over into society and now men are more afraid than ever. How in the world could you find the statement ignorant? Where are you gonna start? Read the article. All the quotes came from women. I ask again, did no fathers speak up? Or did the newspaper just only quote the mothers? And for what it is worth, it's great that mothers care about their sons. It's their job, but at the same time a father is more likely to say just let the kid play. Or say, let's see this thing out and how it works out with the coach, the program or whatever. I will repeat what I have already said, lest somebody else hide behind a computer screen and call me ignorant, I dont have anything to do with it. I was just blown away that the only opinions the paper gave were those of women who rightfully so would be concerned with their sons well being. And trust me, I am not ignorant. I am highly educated, am sports savvy and life has taught me lots. I know for sure that young men respond to men as a voice of authority in a much different way than they do to women. Plus, I made a statement and for whatever reason all the Buckingham supporters just took it as I was attacking their program I guess, its unbelievable to have such an overreaction to what I said. Again, your mess, you all clean it up!

You basically are saying it's only women who knows nothing about football complaining. Well you're wrong but this particular article yeah it's alot of single mothers here who sons are on this team so yeah if a parent have to represent their child then I guess that would be the mother. Also nobody cares about you either man, but you obviously cared enough about Buckingham to read the article, the posts about our situation and make your comment and then comment again so defensively. Also there were men at the meeting and if you read the whole article you would see that not all the quotes were from women. Either way it's a dumbass assessment. Do it matter if it's a woman or a man standing up for their child? What if all the quotes were from just men or fathers would that change anything?

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
You basically are saying it's only women who knows nothing about football complaining. Well you're wrong but this particular article yeah it's alot of single mothers here who sons are on this team so yeah if a parent have to represent their child then I guess that would be the mother. Also nobody cares about you either man, but you obviously cared enough about Buckingham to read the article, the posts about our situation and make your comment and then comment again so defensively. Also there were men at the meeting and if you read the whole article you would see that not all the quotes were from women. Either way it's a dumbass assessment. Do it matter if it's a woman or a man standing up for their child? What if all the quotes were from just men or fathers would that change anything?

I like guys like you. You are straight forth and to the point. Maybe my assessment is incomplete, probably actually is man. I care about kids, society and football. I care about lots of things. You are dead on, I stand corrected and maybe I care about Buckingham though my personal interest there is not vested because I don't know anybody that lives there. I do know that you had a very good football team last year and this year has been a struggle. I personally don't like struggle but I always find that people learn more through the struggle than they do at any other point in life.

Let me share this, I am not attacking the women. I merely saw how the newspaper quoted mostly their opinions. If you will allow me, I saw a kid a few years ago die on the football field where I live. It gripped me in a way I have never been gripped where sports are concerned. I personally thought at the moment that no KID ANYWHERE should ever play football anymore. It was an emotional reaction but one that didnt last long. It was a much greater struggle however for women to let it all go and now when a kid is down for even two seconds it all rekindles what happened that horrific night.

I know all too well what it looks like when kids have only one parent and that parent is a mother. It is prevalent in our society today. I do not put down situations where that is the case. I guess I am just too old school, because when I came along, I had men principles, some men teachers but always somebody to snap you back in line. Today most all educators where I live are women and they expect boys to behave like girls. For the young men I know, the football field has become their sanctuary to unleash all that built in frustration with being told to sit quietly and for some it is the frustration of wondering what they did wrong as to why there is no father around.

Its tough to start over man, it is tough when you had good seasons to have a bad one. It is even tougher to lose a coach period but even more to death if I read correctly that he died of cancer. I will say again, its plenty I do not know and one is I don't know if the new coach is fit or not. I just can sit back and be completely out of the picture and see that a mess has been created. Where I am completely ignorant is to pass judgement and try to figure out who caused it. I certainly do not know nor have I ever commented and suggested I do. If your are anything like me, I love Friday nights, I sort of live for it. That smash mouth, ground it and pound it, show of aggression that I just love. I also love to win and when that is gone and well, kind of sucks.

Maybe I was defensive, I dont take too kindly to being called ignorant. The title of this thread was, wow this bad guys, its in the paper now. I read the article and thought wow, I only see the opinions of women, Maybe there were men quoted but I didnt really see it. I just simply believe that women are always gonna be more emotional than men on these subjects. I also believe that the media, newspapers included are gonna blow things up to be bigger than they are. That was another point of my post, maybe that wasn't clear, I wanted to know and maybe hear if their were men who commented and know what they said. I wasnt attacking, I was inquisitive.TThen somebody posts, says its the most ignorant thing ever and BCKnights will get me straight.I just said wow. And for anybody that has a kid who is a junior or senior, they arent gonna wanna wait for a coach to get his act together in five seasons but again, I dont know about the coach. Certainly you do because you in some capacity are invested in the program. I hope things get better for you there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT