ADVERTISEMENT

You are missing out!

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
You may have seen the Va Preps All State teams, but you couldn't see into the future.

Unless you are a Va Preps Premium Member, you missed the Va Preps All Underclass Teams recently posted on the VIP forum.

Come on guys and gals. It's $8.33 a month. You spent that much for a half decent lunch.

Our forum can't exist if we don't all continue to participate. Not only do we need you readership and comments, we need your financial support.

Help Matt and crew continue to grow Va Preps, and help keep our forum alive.

Thank you.

Reactions: Essex Trojan1
You may have seen the Va Preps All State teams, but you couldn't see into the future.

Unless you are a Va Preps Premium Member, you missed the Va Preps All Underclass Teams recently posted on the VIP forum.

Come on guys and gals. It's $8.33 a month. You spent that much for a half decent lunch.

Our forum can't exist if we don't all continue to participate. Not only do we need you readership and comments, we need your financial support.

Help Matt and crew continue to grow Va Preps, and help keep our forum alive.

Thank you.
I agree with you about the site, it is awesome. But I would not use these articles for your argument. I look at them and the selections are probably warranted, but far from accurate. These are more regional lists. We played Brentsville District this year and they made it all the way to the 3rd round including beating James Monroe in the playoffs. They did not even get one single all state player on the 3A team. Come on? We have a kid who just signed with Pitt in the ACC as a fullback to maybe replace the kid from Sherando after next year on our team. He does not have the stats to justify a position as a running back but Pitt thought he was good. Our TE played at the all star game in Hampton and is on a full ride to UVa-Wise. My point is how do you pick these players? It is one guy who say "Oh, I like him". My argument would be the same if one of my players were on the team, there is no fair way to pick these teams so why do it. It is a great site and I love the boards. That would be my argument.

I'm sure Matt and or Danny will chime in, but I understand your argument.

Let me say this, the Virginia Preps crew that make these selections are totally void of politics. Which is vastly different from every other All State selection process. It's just a bunch of guys that truly love high school sports for the essence of what it is. They use every resource possible to try to make the best decision they can. But, they are human.

For instance, if they had the chance to see a certain player in a game several times collectively, vs limited Hudl film of another player, it's just natural to lean toward what they saw personally.

The staff speaks with coaches and AD's, and many others over the course of the season. Sometimes they hear good comments about players, sometimes the praise is minimal. Some coaches talk their players up, others are much more conservative in their praise. When oppositition coaches talk about how good another team's player is, that certainly carries a little extra weight. And you have to be real, real, careful using stats.

Ocassionally, the staff will reach out to a coach or other team representative, but never hear back, even after several attempts. They try very hard to not let this lack of return contact influence their assessment of a player. But, plenty of good information vs no information? Guess who gets the vote?

I offer as evidence, the fact that every team, even every area of the state, may NOT be represented. It would be a good business and political move to "spread the wealth around", but it would not represent what, (in their belief), are the best players in the state.

Every year, I see many players that are not honored as much as I think they deserve to be. But, that's just the way it works out. Only 24 players out of hundreds and hundreds across each classification level can be selected. One or more deserving kids will always be left out. It's sad and unfortunate, but inevitable.

And welcome to forum 1415. And jrocha, you've been around since 2013, and only 15 post? We've got to drag you out of your shell.

I'm sure Matt and or Danny will chime in, but I understand your argument.

Let me say this, the Virginia Preps crew that make these selections are totally void of politics. Which is vastly different from every other All State selection process. It's just a bunch of guys that truly love high school sports for the essence of what it is. They use every resource possible to try to make the best decision they can. But, they are human.

For instance, if they had the chance to see a certain player in a game several times collectively, vs limited Hudl film of another player, it's just natural to lean toward what they saw personally.

The staff speaks with coaches and AD's, and many others over the course of the season. Sometimes they hear good comments about players, sometimes the praise is minimal. Some coaches talk their players up, others are much more conservative in their praise. When oppositition coaches talk about how good another team's player is, that certainly carries a little extra weight. And you have to be real, real, careful using stats.

Ocassionally, the staff will reach out to a coach or other team representative, but never hear back, even after several attempts. They try very hard to not let this lack of return contact influence their assessment of a player. But, plenty of good information vs no information? Guess who gets the vote?

I offer as evidence, the fact that every team, even every area of the state, may NOT be represented. It would be a good business and political move to "spread the wealth around", but it would not represent what, (in their belief), are the best players in the state.

Every year, I see many players that are not honored as much as I think they deserve to be. But, that's just the way it works out. Only 24 players out of hundreds and hundreds across each classification level can be selected. One or more deserving kids will always be left out. It's sad and unfortunate, but inevitable.

And welcome to forum 1415. And jrocha, you've been around since 2013, and only 15 post? We've got to drag you out of your shell.
Ha, it is hard to post being a head coach. I stay away from putting things out there too much. I enjoy the off season and weight room and posts. During the season my mind is on my team and who is next Friday, not posting. I only post on things outside of talking about other teams and players.

As far a just two people picking a team, preps has many members around the state, why not send it out to them to get an idea of who is the best in every corner of the Commonwealth. A people choice state team if you would. I think the out come would be different. Heck, for 2a I think Issiah Smith from Madison should have been all state. Over 2000 yards and college bound.

I agree no matter what, great talent is left off and it is a shame to just throw out a few names for recognition. But that is the nature of the beast. Enjoy reading your posts Dinwiddie.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
I agree with you about the site, it is awesome. But I would not use these articles for your argument. I look at them and the selections are probably warranted, but far from accurate. These are more regional lists. We played Brentsville District this year and they made it all the way to the 3rd round including beating James Monroe in the playoffs. They did not even get one single all state player on the 3A team. Come on? We have a kid who just signed with Pitt in the ACC as a fullback to maybe replace the kid from Sherando after next year on our team. He does not have the stats to justify a position as a running back but Pitt thought he was good. Our TE played at the all star game in Hampton and is on a full ride to UVa-Wise. My point is how do you pick these players? It is one guy who say "Oh, I like him". My argument would be the same if one of my players were on the team, there is no fair way to pick these teams so why do it. It is a great site and I love the boards. That would be my argument.

Certainly appreciate your opinion ad welcome any feedback on our teams. I can tell you that this was one of the most exhausting projects in all my years of VaPreps - which date back to 2004 and not becoming the Publisher of this site until November of this past year, so it thrust us (and certainly me) in a less than enviable position with our coverage of the 2016 football season and particularly the postseason.

In case you haven't noticed, we changed leadership in the past year and some people have left the site who used to handle the selection process of these teams and providing content when it comes to football. We are in the process of adding new people to our staff, including one person who just agreed to start writing about football in the western part of the state as of yesterday. So in essence, we didn't really have a full blown staff of people for input for the selections this past year as we have in previous years when we did select our All-State teams.

You may want to check our All-State teams again because we do have Isiah Smith of Madison on 1st Team as a return man. Great three-sport athlete (also plays baseball and basketball). Was a real treat to watch him this past year in b-ball in the 2A-East Region Championship. In addition, we have two players from Brentsville District on our All-Underclass Teams. I'll link those at the bottom of this post.

I'm sure like all teams there are some hits and some misses, it's one of those things where we use a variety of factors (All-Region Teams, stats and I'm a big on numbers, recommendations from coaches, some HUDL film and clips go into equations, articles from newspapers around the state, I could go on and on)... but I can tell you it's more than just 'Oh, I like him' when going to select our teams. Plus, I can't tell you how many spelling and grade errors I've come across from the VHSL and VHSCA All-State teams as well as All-Conference and All-Region. Too many to list.

VaPreps 1A All-State Teams
VaPreps 1A All-Underclass Teams
VaPreps 2A All-State Teams
VaPreps 2A All-Underclass Teams
VaPreps 3A All-State Teams
VaPreps 3A All-Underclass Teams
VaPreps 4A All-State Teams
VaPreps 4A All-Underclass Teams
VaPreps 5A All-State Teams
VaPreps 5A All-Underclass Teams
VaPreps 6A All-State Teams
VaPreps 6A All-Underclass Teams

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Certainly appreciate your opinion ad welcome any feedback on our teams. I can tell you that this was one of the most exhausting projects in all my years of VaPreps - which date back to 2004 and not becoming the Publisher of this site until November of this past year, so it thrust us (and certainly me) in a less than enviable position with our coverage of the 2016 football season and particularly the postseason.

In case you haven't noticed, we changed leadership in the past year and some people have left the site who used to handle the selection process of these teams and providing content when it comes to football. We are in the process of adding new people to our staff, including one person who just agreed to start writing about football in the western part of the state as of yesterday. So in essence, we didn't really have a full blown staff of people for input for the selections this past year as we have in previous years when we did select our All-State teams.

You may want to check our All-State teams again because we do have Isiah Smith of Madison on 1st Team as a return man. Great three-sport athlete (also plays baseball and basketball). Was a real treat to watch him this past year in b-ball in the 2A-East Region Championship. In addition, we have two players from Brentsville District on our All-Underclass Teams. I'll link those at the bottom of this post.

I'm sure like all teams there are some hits and some misses, it's one of those things where we use a variety of factors (All-Region Teams, stats and I'm a big on numbers, recommendations from coaches, some HUDL film and clips go into equations, articles from newspapers around the state, I could go on and on)... but I can tell you it's more than just 'Oh, I like him' when going to select our teams. Plus, I can't tell you how many spelling and grade errors I've come across from the VHSL and VHSCA All-State teams as well as All-Conference and All-Region. Too many to list.

VaPreps 1A All-State Teams
VaPreps 1A All-Underclass Teams
VaPreps 2A All-State Teams
VaPreps 2A All-Underclass Teams
VaPreps 3A All-State Teams
VaPreps 3A All-Underclass Teams
VaPreps 4A All-State Teams
VaPreps 4A All-Underclass Teams
VaPreps 5A All-State Teams
VaPreps 5A All-Underclass Teams
VaPreps 6A All-State Teams
VaPreps 6A All-Underclass Teams

One of the reason I hesitate to post is that people tend to hit defense or attack mode. The original post was to point out that there are so many great athletes left off of the list and it would not be my reason why I would argue the point of joining the site. It would be the stories on great athletes and the message boards.

As far as rising Brentsville athletes on the underclass team that is great. Their team was made up of some super seniors that were flipping impressive. Just stating that it is a shame a team that made it that far did not have a quality enough senior to make the team.

I go through the all district, conference, and region selection meetings and I know selecting is hard and someone is going to get left off. The all state team is chosen from the regional and them from the conference. With that there is process of elimination from people who have seen most of the kids play.

As far as Isiah, I saw him at the returner spot. Should have been more clear. Just thought he deserved a spot at running back with over 2000 yards and playing against him.

I reiterate my point was not to criticize the kids that made it or your hard work. I looked at the list and know we have some deserving kids that I saw play in this area. I would dare to say my list would be central and northern Virginia heavy. Keep up the hard work!

One of the reason I hesitate to post is that people tend to hit defense or attack mode. The original post was to point out that there are so many great athletes left off of the list and it would not be my reason why I would argue the point of joining the site. It would be the stories on great athletes and the message boards.

As far as rising Brentsville athletes on the underclass team that is great. Their team was made up of some super seniors that were flipping impressive. Just stating that it is a shame a team that made it that far did not have a quality enough senior to make the team.

I go through the all district, conference, and region selection meetings and I know selecting is hard and someone is going to get left off. The all state team is chosen from the regional and them from the conference. With that there is process of elimination from people who have seen most of the kids play.

As far as Isiah, I saw him at the returner spot. Should have been more clear. Just thought he deserved a spot at running back with over 2000 yards and playing against him.

I reiterate my point was not to criticize the kids that made it or your hard work. I looked at the list and know we have some deserving kids that I saw play in this area. I would dare to say my list would be central and northern Virginia heavy. Keep up the hard work!

That's a fair opinion to have. On Isiah - yes, he was deserving at running back as well, but as our guidelines state, we only put a player at one spot to get as many deserving athletes on there as possible. It was a deep field of RB's with a lot of quality and just felt there was a greater need for him at one of the return spots.

We wrestled with that in 6A and 3A as well with Oscar Smith's Khalik Perry and Blacksburg's Cole Beck. Perry could've made it at WR and Beck at RB, but put each in the return spot. It doesn't diminish their skills or impact - at least to me - by putting them there. Same goes with the Athlete / Utility spot. Hope readers don't look at it as any slight because it is not intended to be at all.

On Brentsville - In hindsight, there may be a snub or two from there when it comes to All-State. James Yohn and Romell Jones are a couple guys that come to mind. Could see the frustration from one of their fans. Glancing over it again, the tough part would be where would we take a guy off and put one of those guys on I ask myself.

Enjoy the discussion and while a lot of work goes into selecting these teams, there is a good amount of fun and enjoyment I take out of it too. Appreciate you chiming in on the topic.

Last edited:
Isiah Smith was all state in football and basketball and just may make it in baseball! He is tearing it up as Madison's centerfielder and I think he leads off. How many athletes ever make all state in 3 sports?

I think these kinds of stories would be a better reason to join the paid VaPreps site.

Isiah Smith was all state in football and basketball and just may make it in baseball! He is tearing it up as Madison's centerfielder and I think he leads off. How many athletes ever make all state in 3 sports?

I think these kinds of stories would be a better reason to join the paid VaPreps site.
He is a stud! No doubt. That was what my original post was saying. I love hearing about a kid succeeding like him. Thanks for the update.

Agree - profiling someone like that who is excelling in multiple sports and the next level athletes who getting it done in the classroom with GPA's around 4.0 are certainly worthy of a full story.

That's my goal / our goal as a site - to highlight more of those athletes and prospects in-depth. Hopefully in time we'll be able to get our tentacles in more areas of the state to provide more thorough coverage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT