ADVERTISEMENT

You can try and figure it anyway you want

freeatlast2013

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 23, 2013
The fact is that there were somewhere in the vicinity of 10 teams that were close enough to get to this weekend and for the last few years that has been case. We talk about this or that, where they are playing etc. This is what most of these games boil down to when you have teams that are fairly close in talent.

Preparation by coaches and players
Executuon
Turnovers
Timing of injuries
How much one team wants it.
Matchups

There were very close games, sometimes more than one.
Louisa lost by five to Eastern View, who lost by 4 to Lake Taylor in a seesaw affair
Monacan lost by 6 to Dinwiddie , who lost by 10 to Eastern View because they turned the ball over too much.
Pulaski County lost by 7 twice to Blacksburg and by 11 to Salem and beat George Washington by three. Blacksburg beat Glass pretty handily, who had mauled Jefferson Forest, who had beat Salem by 2 but lost to Woodgrove in ot.
I heard something about Sherando losing their QB. Salem had lost their starter who never got back to where he was.

There is probably more than this but division four, in my opinion, is very competitive statewide. You can look at Lake Taylor's schedule and see the teams that they have beat this year and see there are probably a few teams in division 4 who would be competitive with every team in state . The exception this year may be Highland Springs and possibly Manchester, who I think Monacan played. The other divisions are pretty much the same. Heritage vs Lord Botetourt was a tough battle. Heritage simply got it done.. Good Luck to all the teams and players.

Last edited:
I just went and looked, and your this team played that team close doesn't show in the slightest that 4a teams could play with any team besides HS and possibly Manchester. When they played Monacan, it was 62-9

Reactions: falcettik
I just went and looked, and your this team played that team close doesn't show in the slightest that 4a teams could play with any team besides HS and possibly Manchester. When they played Monacan, it was 62-9
I just said that. Highland Springs and Manchester are probably exceptions.

@Gunz41, I agree with Free. Class 4 is very competitive across the state and matchups often determine the winners. I would be willing to bet good money that if the seeds had fallen differently the Region B final would not have been the same. Styles just conflict.

@freeatlast2013 is being realistic about class 4's overall quality. @mbonape1 and I have discussed this a ton and we agree Manchester and Highland Springs are superior teams this year. We also agree that in 2016 and 2017 numerous class 4 teams could have played with the class 5 and class 6 top teams. In fact, Louisa and Salem to name two would have been super tough matchups for the higher classes last year.

Traditionally, LT has played the higher classed elite teams on 757 and 804, so it isnt like we havent seen it before. Heck, the Titans beat the 2015 Class 5 State Champion LC Bird and Monacan beat big dawg Manchester last year.

I for one am proud of the teams in Class 4 and believe we are the best class from top to bottom. Dinwiddie will have its chance to prove the point in the next two years as they are playing two class 5 region finalist.

@Gunz41, I agree with Free. Class 4 is very competitive across the state and matchups often determine the winners. I would be willing to bet good money that if the seeds had fallen differently the Region B final would not have been the same. Styles just conflict.

@freeatlast2013 is being realistic about class 4's overall quality. @mbonape1 and I have discussed this a ton and we agree Manchester and Highland Springs are superior teams this year. We also agree that in 2016 and 2017 numerous class 4 teams could have played with the class 5 and class 6 top teams. In fact, Louisa and Salem to name two would have been super tough matchups for the higher classes last year.

Traditionally, LT has played the higher classed elite teams on 757 and 804, so it isnt like we havent seen it before. Heck, the Titans beat the 2015 Class 5 State Champion LC Bird and Monacan beat big dawg Manchester last year.

I for one am proud of the teams in Class 4 and believe we are the best class from top to bottom. Dinwiddie will have its chance to prove the point in the next two years as they are playing two class 5 region finalist.

I didn't mean different teams in 4a couldn't beat each other. I would say if the same games were played again some would have different outcomes.

What I was saying is the data doesn't show that it's just possibly that that 4a teams wouldn't beat Manchester, or even just take them and Highland Springs out.

In a one game scenario, sure the top 4a teams could possibly play with top 5a and 6a teams, but I find it harder to believe that they could do it consistently. There are always exceptions though

But please don't think I meant anything about the matchups between 4a teams

No its cool I understood you completely. I just was reiterating that class 4 is super competitive. On any given Friday. Lol

Many of the class 4 teams from RVA, Nova, and the 757 routinely face higher class teams in their own districts. I know Monacan, LT, Kings Fork, Deep Creek, and Dinwiddie are used to it and prior to realignment some played for class 5 titles.

Taylor won the class 5 state in 2012, Dinwiddie lost on the class 5 finals in 2000 and 2008 and lost in the semis in 2010. It aint like we havent been there before. By the way Dinwiddies class 5 state losses were to current class 3 Phoebus and class 4 Heritage NN.

Reactions: freeatlast2013
No its cool I understood you completely. I just was reiterating that class 4 is super competitive. On any given Friday. Lol

Many of the class 4 teams from RVA, Nova, and the 757 routinely face higher class teams in their own districts. I know Monacan, LT, Kings Fork, Deep Creek, and Dinwiddie are used to it and prior to realignment some played for class 5 titles.

Taylor won the class 5 state in 2012, Dinwiddie lost on the class 5 finals in 2000 and 2008 and lost in the semis in 2010. It aint like we havent been there before. By the way Dinwiddies class 5 state losses were to current class 3 Phoebus and class 4 Heritage NN.

Oh I know the history. Just use Salem the last 3 years, just because it lines up. If they played HS and Westfield 10 times, do they win more than 5? Maybe the answer is yes. But that is different than the top 10 4a teams being able to compete with anyone besides those 2.

Honestly, I just didn't think credit was being given to more than 2 higher class teams, and not much more to Manchester with possibly. Free seems like a good dude, so I am sure he didn't mean it in a bad way. But he was using all these results to show anyone in 4a could be in this position, which I totally agree with. But possibly MHS, well one of the top 4a teams lost to them by 50+. That doesn't show possibly.

In complete honesty, like I said free is a great poster. He can have a discussion without arguing, and was trying to start the convoy. Its about the only one on any board that hasn't turned nasty

Oh I know the history. Just use Salem the last 3 years, just because it lines up. If they played HS and Westfield 10 times, do they win more than 5? Maybe the answer is yes. But that is different than the top 10 4a teams being able to compete with anyone besides those 2.

Honestly, I just didn't think credit was being given to more than 2 higher class teams, and not much more to Manchester with possibly. Free seems like a good dude, so I am sure he didn't mean it in a bad way. But he was using all these results to show anyone in 4a could be in this position, which I totally agree with. But possibly MHS, well one of the top 4a teams lost to them by 50+. That doesn't show possibly.

In complete honesty, like I said free is a great poster. He can have a discussion without arguing, and was trying to start the convoy. Its about the only one on any board that hasn't turned nasty
Great points. Manchester did beat the heck out of Monacan this year, but to be fair Monacan moved the ball quite well. They also were short due to injuries and this is where I will go along with you. Manchester and Highland Springs have much more depth than most if not all of the Class 4 teams. They also get the best players from their sides of the river. Bird and Hermitage used to get those players. Things change and today's kids will transfer in a minute. Who knows Cosby may the bomb diggity in RVA in a few years. lol

Great points. Manchester did beat the heck out of Monacan this year, but to be fair Monacan moved the ball quite well. They also were short due to injuries and this is where I will go along with you. Manchester and Highland Springs have much more depth than most if not all of the Class 4 teams. They also get the best players from their sides of the river. Bird and Hermitage used to get those players. Things change and today's kids will transfer in a minute. Who knows Cosby may the bomb diggity in RVA in a few years. lol

Yeah Manchester is on a different level this year. I can promise everyone no 4a team can hang with them this year... and yes they clobbered us!

Sorry guys I am not sure if we have an argument. The problem with my post was I didn't collect my thoughts very well before the post. The fact is I know very little about Highland Springs and Manchester but , by looking at who they played and the margins, they appear to be superior teams. My other point is that year in and year out Division four is very good. I did not count the teans one through ten but I would say there are several teams that are very competitive. I agree with Gunz 41 that just comparison scores do not mean that much unless you have enough for a pattern. The last three years point to my point and Gunz 41 points being in agreement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT