ADVERTISEMENT

You make the call '16, No. 2.

FBRef

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2001
Team A has a 4th and 10 from their own 10 yard line. Their punter is awaiting the snap in his own end zone. The snap is low and hits the ground. The punter recovers the snap and scrambles under pressure. About to be tackled in his end zone, he throws the ball into an area unoccupied by any eligible receivers and is flagged for intentional grounding. What are the options for Team B?

Decline the penalty, take possession on the 10.
Take the penalty, 1/2 distance to the goal, repeat 4th down.

Both are too obvious, so I know I must be wrong.

Onlylabs, I believe you'd be right if it was an NCAA game, but it's not quite right for high school. (I'm not an NCAA official so that might not be right, but I think it is.)

White hat...assuming you are talking about my guess on accepting for a safety? So it's simply intentional grounding?

RULING: The result of the play is a safety, no matter whether the defense accepts or declines the penalty.

Intentional grounding is an illegal forward pass and is considering to be part of a running play, not a loose ball play. Since it's a running play, the end of the run is where the ball is passed from. In this case, that's the end zone. We can snap the next play from the end zone, therefore the play is a safety.

Only incomplete LEGAL forward passes are spotted at the previous spot.

Wow. I sure missed that one by a mile.

I bet that's a senerio that would get a crowd riled up.

Wow. I sure missed that one by a mile.

I bet that's a senerio that would get a crowd riled up.

I doubt it. The defense's fans would be thrilled with the safety, they always are.

Frankly, the offense has to be happy to get away from this scenerio only giving up a safety.

Down 3 in the final minute or two, the defensive team's fans might not be so happy.

Ok, put up another one. My ego is totally destroyed. Might as well rub a little salt in the wound!

ADVERTISEMENT