ADVERTISEMENT

You make the call.

White hat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 17, 2001
See a foul here?

On a scale of 1-10, how obvious is it?

Please comment here and not on the Youtube page.

Reminder to officials: Let the fans answer first.
This post was edited on 8/8 2:00 PM by White hat

You Make the Call #1

I thought # 13 engaged # 44 face to face and # 44 turned on # 13 during the block. Would that be considered a illegal block?

First of all I am surprised no one else commented or offerd up an opinion. If people are interested I can post plays, either in video or just text, but if no one cares I won't worry about it.

I used this play because it perfectly illustrates a key issue regarding blocks in the back. I've looked at this video over and over, and I can't tell if it was illgal or not. But if all you see is the end, it sure looks bad. You see a guy driving a defender away from the ball with a puch in the back. To everyone there, including the coaches with the camera and probably Johnny's grandma in the 25th row, it looks like an illegal block. But the clock started legally and if contact was never lost, this is quite legal.

I've seen a lot of officials see the end of a block without seeing the initial contact and go with a flag. I'm sure I've done it myself over the years because it's easy to do and no one wants to think we have everyone there thinking we missed something so obvious, but the little details of calling the game are trickier than that.

I waited a while before I posted. I do not ref. football,but I ref.B-bal and softball. I agree the play looked bad and a person close to the camera even hollered clip. At times a play will look horrible,but no foul or violation has occured and a parent or grandparent in the fifth row is hollering, you need to protect my little Johnny or Jill.

Just clicked on your link and didn't look at answers. Seemed like a block in the back at offensive team's 25. Of course from the camera angle it was tough to tell if there was actual contact since both players momentum was going in the same direction.

I'm sure it was not what the video was for but it appeared also to be 5 players in the backfield. The ball appears to be on the 21.5-22 yd line and the QB, TB, left slot and both wideouts are behind the line of scrimmage. Difficult to tell ball position from angle however.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT