ADVERTISEMENT

Your opinions please.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
The following was copied and pasted from the 4a threat. Originally posted by Lafayette. His question was about more "roughing the passer" calls this season. His post:

I have seen a definite uptick in these calls this year and more then half seem that roughing is now any touching with very little "roughing". I first this in our scimmage against Chancellor and continued right thru our latest game with Poquoson. Rule change or just my imagination at work?

No rule change. Maybe the assiociation that covers games there made it a point of emphasis. I have no idea.

I've only had one roughing the passer in my eight varsity games this season, Definately less than previous years. I've noticed defenders doing a better job of avoiding contact after the ball is thrown.

I believe what constitutes roughing the passer has expanded based on other fouls being expanded. Any personal foul now on the passer is considered roughing the passer. For example, as the ball is released:
a) there is helmet to helmet contact by the defender
b) the defender pulls the passer's face mask
c) the defender pulls the passer down backward from inside his jersey collar
d) in an attempt to bat the pass, the defender hits the passer in the head with his swinging forearm

All of these examples were previously considered personal fouls but were not roughing as they occurred as the ball was being released. They are now considered roughing the passer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT