ADVERTISEMENT

1A Boys Quarterfinals: #1 Altavista (65) #4 Honaker (48) - FINAL

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
Altavista has the hot hand early. Colonels lead Honaker 16-7 with 2:50 remaining in 1Q

Nelson Dews has three 3s for Altavista, which leads Honaker 21-9, 1:09 left 1Q

After 1Q, Altavista leads Honaker 23-11. Nelson Dews has 9 points for Colonels. Tanner Robinette has 10 for Honaker

Altavista leads Honaker 29-23, six seconds left in 2Q. Crowd is going at it. Honaker on one side, Juan Thornhill & Co. on the other.

At the HALF: Altavista leads Honaker 29-23.

Honaker outscored Altavista 12-6 in 2Q. Robinette with 16 points. Dews and Maulbeck with 9 each for Colonels.

Robinette also had 10 rebounds for Honaker in first half.

Last edited:
Honaker cut the deficit to three points on its second possession, but Altavista quickly back out to a 37-28 lead.

Altavista takes 48-33 lead with a couple quick baskets to start 4Q.

Turnovers are starting to pile up for Honaker.

Tanner Robinette honored for scoring his 2,000th career point, on a stickback with 1:43 remaining

FINAL: Altavista 65, Honaker 48.

Altavista advances to Group 1A final four and will play Thursday March 10 at 3:45 p.m.

Reactions: Delantie
I thought it was interesting that Altavista still had starters in with a minute to go and leading by 20. I believe they even called a time out about that time also. Coach was complaining about calls leading by 20.

Troy Harris is not a Coach C they do things a little different. The starters would have been on the bench and that timeout would have never been called.

He did the right thing . 1) The starters came out with a minute and a half left 2) Hoanker was still pressing so why put in a bunch of kids in that hasn't played all game in against that ? That's why he called a timeout anyways because he didn't want to get a 10 second call. 3) Any person at the game clearly seen it was 10 to 2 fouls called & we had the 10 . 4) Atown ran delay offense for almost 4th quarter ,the only shots that they took is what Hoanker gave them fast brakes etc. .

Altavista did not run up the score, but I thought he should have cleared his bench late in 4th quarter. Give the younger players some playing time on the "big stage". Radford cleared their bench in same type game with 3 or 4 minutes left.

Heck, I was sitting near some Colonel fans, and we discussed it in final minutes of game. Also the coach seems more upset when he wins, than most Coaches do when they lose. I noticed the Norththumberland Coach after game vs. Radford, he was smiling shaking hands and speaking to people all around.
Colonel Coach hung his head after game as if he had lost by 20

That is true, big shoes to fill. Colonels have exceeded expectations so far I think. Getting back to Richmond is big step.

From my view the coach was smiling and laughing and talking with former players. And radford was up by almost 30, altavista was only up by 15. If subs were put in too early, they could easily have gotten it down to single digits and possibly made a game of it.

Lots of good players where left ! Being in single A helps , I didn't really know what to expect this year I'm going to be honest with you . But I really think he is a exceeded everybody's expectations . The scary thing is they could Evan better next year! There losing one starter that's pretty darn good . But return a lot of good players .

Maybe he was disappointed because of the mistakes his team made although there wasn't many there were still some break downs. Have you ever seen Bill Belichick happy after a win? Sure the coach will say it's a good win and all but even though we're talking about 15-18 year old kids your still striving for perfection! It's called not being satisfied and always seeing room for improvement and pushing your kids to be the best they can be. He shouldn't be criticized for anything he done Saturday. I think he has done a hellacious job filling those shoes with all the talent that team lost last year!

Altavista has tradition and with out tradition colonels don't get back to Richmond . Remember the kids been Practicing against the best talent anybody's ever seen the last two years . They been there ,they seen and Watched the older kids how you take care of Business . Once you start a winning tradition the next Group that comes up doesn't want to be that Group to not get there .

Since 2002 been to final four 10 times this is number 10 in 15 years been to finals 6 times That's incredible for small school like Altavista .

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT