ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 take a stab

Nov 18, 2018
Who will be the top 2 or 3 teams in boys 1A and Girls 1A next season

can honaker girls 3 peat?
blues boys back to back ?

I vote no on each. What are your thoughts ?

Reactions: Mike777VSP
On the boys side, West Point had a very young team this year and only lost by 3 in the regional championship. I look for them to improve on that next year. Twin Springs returns the bulk of their lineup and I think they could be the favorite in Region D.

Definitely think Honaker girls are a prime candidate to three-peat. Mathews, Riverheads and George Wythe all have good chances to get back.

In boys - would label West Point the favorite in Region A, expect Altavista to get back in Region B with Stuart Hunt returning... Region C hard to go against Parry McCluer with Cartolaro and the big fella in Hamilton (do have to replace Will Dunlap). Watch out for Auburn though with Millirons back. And in Region 1D, definitely like Twin Springs with all that talent coming back... could see Eastside making a bigger push with Eli McCoy returning also.

I was under the impression Honaker is losing some girls. MARONS always a good team. Even way back when I was a child they had good teams.
it was amazing seeing the Gladiators make the state champ game. I hope they can do it again

PM ? where did they go. I heard they had another group ready to win states again but I never got to see a game

I’ll predict MARONS vs Gladiators next year

boys division

I’ll take altavista running away in the East
Vs Twin springs after twin springs narrowly slips past PM

is the Hamilton kid really 7 foot 1 ?
thats amazing

I was under the impression Honaker is losing some girls. MARONS always a good team. Even way back when I was a child they had good teams.
it was amazing seeing the Gladiators make the state champ game. I hope they can do it again

PM ? where did they go. I heard they had another group ready to win states again but I never got to see a game

I’ll predict MARONS vs Gladiators next year

boys division

I’ll take altavista running away in the East
Vs Twin springs after twin springs narrowly slips past PM

is the Hamilton kid really 7 foot 1 ?
thats amazing
Believe the Hamilton kid is at about 6'11" at last check... but he may not be done growing and could end up being 7-foot-1.

Twin Springs can really shoot it, so if they're hitting those 3's with Connor Lane, Bradley Owens and that crew, they've got a shot to get there in the end. Big thing is Parry McCluer was able to control tempo in some of their key playoff games this past year (Auburn and J.I. Burton in particular).

Honaker girls graduate 3 of their starters. However the whole team was descent even the ones coming off the bench but think they will struggle. I think they could possible pull it off depends on how healthy they stay and how focused the younger players will be.

Believe the Hamilton kid is at about 6'11" at last check... but he may not be done growing and could end up being 7-foot-1.

Twin Springs can really shoot it, so if they're hitting those 3's with Connor Lane, Bradley Owens and that crew, they've got a shot to get there in the end. Big thing is Parry McCluer was able to control tempo in some of their key playoff games this past year (Auburn and J.I. Burton in particular).
LOL...Matt you are spot on, we had him at his endocrinologist in January and he was 6’10 3/4” he had grown 3/4 inches in 3 months and they believe he “could” hit 7’ to 7’ 1”.

It’s tough to repeat, but Cartolaro has done it before and he is a compelling factor, Ethan Millirions can take over games and his younger brother can shoot as well. Altavista has almost everyone back, West Point has a young and very good team with McCulloch that has same build as Spencer. I know Burton loses Culbertson but they should be in the picture with Twin Springs and Eastside. Going to be interesting. Can’t wait

Reactions: matthew328826
LOL...Matt you are spot on, we had him at his endocrinologist in January and he was 6’10 3/4” he had grown 3/4 inches in 3 months and they believe he “could” hit 7’ to 7’ 1”.

It’s tough to repeat, but Cartolaro has done it before and he is a compelling factor, Ethan Millirions can take over games and his younger brother can shoot as well. Altavista has almost everyone back, West Point has a young and very good team with McCulloch that has same build as Spencer. I know Burton loses Culbertson but they should be in the picture with Twin Springs and Eastside. Going to be interesting. Can’t wait
Yeah, I really enjoyed getting a chance to watch more Class 1 hoops than ever before with the live stream (though I know the fans can't wait to be able to pack some of the gyms hopefully in the winter for 2021-22). Lot of teams bring back some talented parts, so it should be a fun and exciting playoff race.

Marvel at what Cartolaro did at Altavista. What he's doing at Parry McCluer now - with a great chance at winning a third regional title in a row and second straight state crown - is in some ways as impressive, if not more so,,, Hall of Fame stuff without a doubt in my book.

In C, I know Im going to come across as a homer here but don't overlook Narrows. When next years 11th and 12th graders were 9th and 10th graders, they swept Pioneer play, beat a 9th grade Patrick Henry - Roanoke squad, and their only losses were to Radford, Lord Botetourt, and 4th quarter comeback by Hidden Valley. If Coach Bailey can keep the progression going and the kids coming out, they won't be an easy out by any means.

Last edited:
your talking anout narrows boys not the girls correct ? I haven’t heard much from the girls side. Riverheads graduated some but there’s good youth ( girls ) on the way.
I hear it’s PMs to win or lose this year. I’d like to see gladiators scrimmage or play them to see where we stack up.

on the boys side I’m still going with twin springs

Riverheads ladies may get a 6 ft transfer. It could change the landscape of single A girls basketball this year. It will be determined in the next 2 weeks.

I've got the Blues going back to back. Mitchell and Cook will take huge steps up this year and give them the ability to run a little more if need be. Go Blue!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT