ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball interference question

X-Spy

VaPreps All Region
May 31, 2002
I was at a game yesterday, and this is what happened. (granted this was middle school thus the rules interpretation could be different).

Men on first and third. There is only one umpire he is behind the plate of course. Pitcher throws the ball to first the umpire comes from behind the plate to call the runner safe. Runner from third sprints home. First baseman lobs the ball back to the pitcher not even aware anyone was headed home.

The umpire called interference on himself for standing between the runner and the first baseman so he could not see.

IS that a legal ruling or just one that the umpire made up.

it made no difference in the final result, but it just seemed wrong as I had never seen it called before.

Thanks.

I think the umpire "just made it up". The umpire is part of the playing field.

I recall a major league playoff game several years ago where the right field umpire prevented the right fielder from making a play on a ball.

Thanks, that was my belief too, but thought I would ask an expert. At the Middle school level the experience and quality of the umpiring is less. You get what you pay for.

Umpires

I see "high paid" umpires who have trouble with the strike zone, as defined by rule book. I have never understood who/what gives each individual umpire the authority to use his own personal strike zone, instead of the one in rule book.

Re: Umpires

I believe teams with catchers who are good communicators with their pitching staffs and coaches are a real jewel in high school, as the strike zone from game to game is different, and being able to tell your coach and pitchers where the outside or inside pitches are being called a strike is invaluable, as they are much harder to hit.

Re: Umpires

I have seen pitchers "make a living" 4 to 6 inches off the plate (to the otuside). A pitch off the plate is a ball. if ball doesn't cross the plate it isn't a strike.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT