ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah District Baseball....Who's Hot This Year?

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
The season has crept up on me but three of our teams jump into action Monday the 11th, so let's talk about who might be the teams to watch this year. Most years the 'Doah is wide open and anybody can beat anybody on a given afternoon. Then when the time comes, the teams splinter off into three different playoff divisions, as they will this year.

I really know very little about the teams this year so I am asking more than I am predicting but just based on memory from last year, If I had to guess, I would say a top three might be Fort Defiance, Riverheads and Wilson. FD has Garber as a pitcher I think, Riverheads was so young last year that almost the entire team will return, and Wilson is always in the mix.

Buffalo Gap and Stuarts Draft might be two logical picks for middle of the pack but yet capable of the big game when you least expect it. Of course the Bison will be the only team competing at the 1-A level when playoff time rolls around.

That leaves Staunton and Waynesboro to possibly bring up the rear. I say that mainly because that is where they were last year, but of course either or both could be much improved.

So what other thoughts do you guys have?

IMHO, Wison and Fort will likely be ahead of the rest by a reasonable margin. Riverheads and Draft have potential but will probably scrap for 3rd. I feel Gap takes a step back losing a big part of their offense from last year to graduation. Staunton has some pieces that may surprise us this year to take a step into the top 5 while Waynesboro is an unknown for me.

Edit: After hearing about an excellent game between Riverheads and Alleghany that was decided late 3-2, I think these young Gladiators may have a shot at the district title if the pitching can hold up over the season. Good luck to all those competing this spring

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT