ADVERTISEMENT

Battlefield

Aug 23, 2009
How are they looking this year? Lots of changes at the top. How good can they be under a guy who is 2-18 the last two years?

I'm not sure but we will find out soon on Friday. I am looking forward to seeing how their new up tempo no huddle spread/I-form offense performs in the first game. Even though they threw the ball quite a bit the past two seasons, I like the idea of this look for Battlefield because they're one of those teams that could use a change as far as opening things up a little more and moving along faster on offense. If Battlefield can come out on Friday and execute on offense I would not be surprised to see a shootout with Hylton.

I agree on opening it up a bit. Who are their main weapons on O? Are the QB and WR from last year back? They were a great scoring combo.

Their top WR Kerxton is back from last year but the new QB is the backup from last year I think.

Well, when your QB is held out for back issues, and you have no legit backups, the end result is not good:

http://www.insidenova.com/sports/ba...cle_c3f6edb2-4e06-11e5-8ac4-67639cdb97cc.html

Hylton’s offense was at first led by receiver D. J. Wright, who lined up at quarterback, but fumbled on the game’s fourth play from scrimmage, giving Battlefield terrific field position on its first drive.

The Bobcats got the ball at the Hylton 47 and scored three plays later on a 29-yard run by Chris Ferrill, who carried 19 times for 78 yards overall.

Hylton appeared to get a break a few minutes later when DeVijian Franklin intercepted a pass from Battlefield first-year starting quarterback Alex Gutierrez at the 20, but the Bulldogs immediately fumbled the ball right back to the Bobcats. Moments later, Sean Greene scored on a 28-yard run to make it 14-0.

The Bulldogs were able to sustain a drive late in the first quarter, moving from their 24 to the Battlefield 15 before the drive, which was highlighted by a 27-yard pass from Benson to Franklin, stalled. Hylton decided to have sophomore kicker Josua Thomas try a 21-yard field goal, but the kick was no good.

Battlefield scored early in the second quarter on a drive sparked by a 41-yard connection from Gutierrez to Zac Kerxton. The drive ended when Gutierrez, a transfer from O'Connell who played for Battlefield as a freshman, connected with Greene on a 5-yard pass. A bad snap on the PAT attempt kept the score at 20-0.

After Hylton stopped the Bobcats on their next possession by forcing Battlefield to go three-and-out, the Bulldogs again hurt themselves when a Benson pass was intercepted by senior cornerback Collin Parker.

Well, when your QB is held out for back issues, and you have no legit backups, the end result is not good:

http://www.insidenova.com/sports/ba...cle_c3f6edb2-4e06-11e5-8ac4-67639cdb97cc.html

Hylton’s offense was at first led by receiver D. J. Wright, who lined up at quarterback, but fumbled on the game’s fourth play from scrimmage, giving Battlefield terrific field position on its first drive.

The Bobcats got the ball at the Hylton 47 and scored three plays later on a 29-yard run by Chris Ferrill, who carried 19 times for 78 yards overall.

Hylton appeared to get a break a few minutes later when DeVijian Franklin intercepted a pass from Battlefield first-year starting quarterback Alex Gutierrez at the 20, but the Bulldogs immediately fumbled the ball right back to the Bobcats. Moments later, Sean Greene scored on a 28-yard run to make it 14-0.

The Bulldogs were able to sustain a drive late in the first quarter, moving from their 24 to the Battlefield 15 before the drive, which was highlighted by a 27-yard pass from Benson to Franklin, stalled. Hylton decided to have sophomore kicker Josua Thomas try a 21-yard field goal, but the kick was no good.

Battlefield scored early in the second quarter on a drive sparked by a 41-yard connection from Gutierrez to Zac Kerxton. The drive ended when Gutierrez, a transfer from O'Connell who played for Battlefield as a freshman, connected with Greene on a 5-yard pass. A bad snap on the PAT attempt kept the score at 20-0.

After Hylton stopped the Bobcats on their next possession by forcing Battlefield to go three-and-out, the Bulldogs again hurt themselves when a Benson pass was intercepted by senior cornerback Collin Parker.
I thought I had heard that the starting QB was out of this one... Makes more sense to me now, not a slight to Battlefield, I just thought Hylton would have won or been in a closer game with them

I thought I had heard that the starting QB was out of this one... Makes more sense to me now, not a slight to Battlefield, I just thought Hylton would have won or been in a closer game with them

He was, and Slade is held to very little and was hurt late in the game. But, I would think the 2nd stringer got a lot of reps with the 1st string as a just in case scenario. Hylton losing is one thing, Hylton being shut out is a rarity.

I went to the game against Osbourn last night, game took nearly 3 hours because of penalties, some of which I am not sure were legit, but who knows. Hylton tried a few RB's and some deep routes that worked when they weren't being called back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT