ADVERTISEMENT

Bishop Sullivan 64 Atlantic Shores 42 Recap

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
George Wahee scored five touchdowns and Bishop Sullivan over came a halftime deficit to defeat Atlantic Shores 64-42 on Senior night. Wahee scored his touchdowns in a variety of ways including an interception return, kickoff return, and three touchdown receptions covering 61, 35, and 46 yards. His pick six was returned 65 yards and his opening kickoff return covered 80 yards

1609979.jpg
Atlantic Shores took a 29-28 lead into halftime thanks to three big plays from junior Jordan Canady in the final two minutes before the break. Canady connected with quarterback Ryan Chamberlain on a 58-yard reception with 1:28 remaining in the half then picked off a pass and returned it to the Bishop Sullivan 10-yard line. Canady ended the half with an 18-yard touchdown reception to give the Seahawks the lead.

The game's momentum changed when a critical fumble by Atlantic Shores, deep inside the Seahawks territory, gave Bishop Sullivan the ball at the Atlantic Shores 7-yard line. Kevin Hicks blew thru the defense for a touchdown to give the Crusaders the lead. Hicks finished with 17-119 and three touchdowns. Blake LaRussa found Wahee behind the defense for a 35-yard touchdown in the 3rd quarter and a 46-yard touchdown with 9:44 to go in the fourth quarter to give Bishop Sullivan a commanding 50-29 edge.

Brehon Britt, who had an outstanding game for Atlantic Shores, took the ensuing kickoff and returned it 90 yards for touchdown. Britt also caught a touchdown a reception with a 1:42 to go to end the scoring.

Facebook Photo Feature

This post was edited on 10/26 10:44 AM by wgarlick

Bishop Sullivan 64 Atlantic Shores 42 (late in 4th qtr)

according to 757teamz.com website

This post was edited on 10/24 9:39 PM by mtnclmbr

So Will, I have to ask the question, did the defenses stay on the bus? I know Shores has an offense that can score against a lot of teams, but not all teams. Does Bishop Sullivan struggle on defense or was this just one of those games? Shores has had a pretty stout defense too but I would believe this is the best offense they have faced by far. I am not as surprised at the score Bishop put up.

I would rank Bishop Sullivan just average on defense. They seem to do better against the run more so than the pass. They are allowing 30 ppg but like most of the Private teams under the D1 level, they have players playing both ways so it's hard to gauge how good the defenses are. For example, Devontae Townsend was listed as 6-foot-4, 320 pounds in the game program and he plays almost the entire game on both the offensive and defensive line.

There were a lot of big plays for each team. Both teams returned a kickoff for a touchdown on a kickoff return and Atlantic Shores scored 14 points on 2 of their final 3 plays in the first half (58 and 18 yard pass receptions).

With Bishop Sullivan you have to pick your poison on offense. They are big upfront with Townsend, Mike Cipolla (6-foot-5, 300), and Eric English (6-foot-3, 280) and they can pound the ball with Kevin Hicks who is a punishing runner. George Wahee has elite speed on the outside and Blake LaRussa is a playmaker at quarterback. Atlantic Shores had trouble slowing down Wahee on the deep pass and Hicks started to break tackles in the second half when Bishop Sullivan pulled away.

1611321.jpg

This post was edited on 10/27 7:45 PM by wgarlick

Thanks Will. For the most part I have been surprised at the great divide between DII and DIII this year. At least the last few Yeats it hasn't been as great in my opinion. It's been pretty clear that the top DII teams are dominating the smaller schools. This is the first one I have seen a smaller school put up that kind of points and I didn't think Shores offense was that strong. NA shut them out, Church held their offense to one score.

Shores running back Brehon Britt is one of the best players in the Private school ranks and he is a strong candidate for the VirginiaPreps All-Private School team. He's explosive , has great vision,and a gamechanger whenever he gets the ball. I was also impressed with Ryan Chamberlain and basketball player Jordan Canady had a few highlights too. Shores was up at halftime but never recovered from the fumble inside their own 5-yard line in the 3rd quarter

This has been a strange year in the Privates. We had several teams in the Hampton Roads area drop football, Woodberry Forest didn't start football until mid-September, and Liberty Christian only has eight games scheduled which could hurt their playoff chances. I've been to more blowouts this year than any other previous year and we will likely have at least three new champions this year after multiple championships at the D1, D3, and D4 levels.

I've been fortunate enough to see 23 different teams this year including all the D1 schools with the exception of St Stephens- St Agnes. I've already mapped out my 1st round games in a few weeks so hopefully the playoffs will be something to remember.

1611343.jpg

Brehon Britt

This post was edited on 10/27 8:31 PM by wgarlick

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT