ADVERTISEMENT

Blue Ridge - K.C Camp

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
Blue Ridge lineman K.C Camp was one of the Top 25 Private school players as selected by VirginiaPreps.Com. He made 2nd team All Old Dominion on both offense and defense as a lineman. Blue Ridge head coach Del Smith said Camp is a destructive force on the football field.
"He's hands down the strongest lineman and he's a great run blocker," Smith said. "He has a great first step and did a great job getting everyone motivated. He came here ready to learn and he was able to learn our system very fast. He's not the type of kid you have to scream at."
Camp started his high school career at King George High School but matriculate to Blue Ridge to improve his academics and increase his football exposure.
"It was a difficult transition for me because I used to just beat up on players having no business being on the line," Camp told Virginiapreps.Com. "Now going against guys from teams like St Anne's-Belfield and Christchurch it's a dogfight every single play. Also, the caliber of coaches in the private league is just incredible. At Blue Ridge, Coach Smith is always on the phone with schools, inviting them to our campus and he also sent my highlight tape to over 300 D1 and D2 schools. I basically got my junior year back when I went to Blue Ridge School."
Playing in both public school and private school gave Camp a chance to see the best of both worlds. While he helped King George compete in the tough Battlefield District, he says going head-to-head against private school lineman was a real challenge.
"The biggest difference for me coming from AA football to Private would have to be the level of competition," he said. "In the Battlefield District, there was always one guy from each team you would base your entire game plan around. In private football, you can't do that. You have to base your game plan around the whole squad because every starter can make big plays at any given time."

This summer, K.C has been working out trying to learn a new position as he plans on transitioning to the center position because of his size (6-foot-3, 285). "I played guard on the offense and tackle/nose tackle on the D-line," Camp said. "I'm being recruited for O-line in college. I can play any interior position but I am perfecting my snap to play center because that's what I will probably end up playing in college."

The schools that are interested include William and Mary, Monmouth, Holy Cross, Pennsylvania, Morgan State University, Georgetown, Navy, and Wingate University. "I got a lot of schools in the Patriot league and CAA sending me stuff," Camp said. "I am hoping to end up playing at Old Dominion University, James Madison or William and Mary."

This post was edited on 7/1 10:02 PM by wgarlick

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News