ADVERTISEMENT

Central (Woodstock) vs Graham

Graham's very physical like Central and Graham is big up front. Graham has great speed at the skilled positions. They like to run it more this year than throw it. The GMen faithful will be happy that this team coming into the state title contest will not be wounded and without both starting linebackers and the starting QB like they were last year. They will be healthy. For Central to win, they have to get 5 and 6 yards a carry and control clock and shorten the game and limit Graham's possessions and Not kick field goals. When in the redzone, they need touchdowns. On defense for Central, containing the edge will be critical. Graham has a blazing fast running back that if he gets the edge, he's off to the races.

For Graham on offense. Graham needs to capitalize on big deep passing plays and try to capitalize with their speed advantage. On defense, Graham can't let Central eat up clock with 5, 6, and 7 yd runs that lead to continous first downs. Whoever does the above better wins it in my opinion.

I favor Graham by 7 points.

O.K. I posted this thread first...lol. (by one minute). But, let's just ignore the one I posted, wouldn't make sense to start posting on two different ones.
This should be a good game. Both teams should match up pretty well physically. Hard to call this one. I do think Graham has a speed advantage, just watching video, but it's hard to tell with video. I expect a hard-fought, well played game by both teams. Not sure if Graham can out-physical Central - they are a big, strong team.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Graham plays in Region D. With Central, Gate City Union,Ridgeview, and Richlands. We know physical football. Nothing they are going to do is anything we havent seen before. We're going to find out who's the best. Congratulations and may the best team win.

Graham wins big. Think today was actually the Championship game.
I would like to see Graham win it. I would have rooted for Appo or Glenvar if they won it, and will root for the Region D winner as I have closer ties to the Region D area, but I don't think it was the Championship Game. I think it's going to be a really close game. I think Graham wins it by a touchdown, but no way it's more than 13 points for either team. Both are too good.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Two really good teams that are run oriented. Central looks massive in size on the line of scrimmage. Turnovers will likely be the difference. Central looks like the best football team Graham has played on the line of scrimmage. Hopefully, we will be the best team Central has played on the line of scrimmage. When it's at the region championship, state semis, and state finals, it's anyone's game.

Two really good teams that are run oriented. Central looks massive in size on the line of scrimmage. Turnovers will likely be the difference. Central looks like the best football team Graham has played on the line of scrimmage. Hopefully, we will be the best team Central has played on the line of scrimmage. When it's at the region championship, state semis, and state finals, it's anyone's game.
It's not always anyone's game. Riverheads will blow George Wythe out next week and today's game against Essex was the championship game. Dinwiddie will blow kettle Run out next week also. Got blasted on 3A board for saying no way Christiansburg could hang with Heritage and would get blowed out today and guess what. That game was over in the first quarter. Graham has more speed and just as physical if not more. Graham wins by minimum of two touchdowns. Would like to think Heritage could hang with Phoebus but don't know if that will happen. Sometimes different areas and regions play at such a higher level of football and those not there don't realize it until they see it.

Admittedly know zip about Central Woodstock but I do know you don’t end up in Salem without being good and run a gauntlet of teams already. I’ve read they’re physical, big, strong but not very speedy compared to Graham. Appo was a dog fight , I expect this to be the same. Graham has faced some quality opponents the past couple of weeks and this will be no different. Graham has a great coaching staff that will have them well prepared. I’m hoping for a GMen win especially after losing last year to KW!

Last edited:
No dog in this one but Central is a grind it out team. They don’t get impatient looking for a home run and generally stick to their bread and butter. IF Graham can consistently stop their power run game then they will struggle. The defense is better than some think and have stopped some decent run heavy teams. Clements is going to be a challenge especially with the Gmen having such good line play. Speed advantage is Grahams but line play should be moderately close. As for those saying they play ….. Unions power run game is the “style” I would most closely relate it to but it’s slightly different than that even.

As a region B fan I am hoping for the upset but I feel it’s going to be a pretty tall order to beat this Graham team. Good luck to both teams and safe travels on Saturday.

To the first poster who said Central can't settle for field goals in the red zone, just a word of caution. They don't need to be in the red zone to kick field goals. Their kicker has kicked numerous 45-50 yard field goals this year. Get used to starting on the 20 after every kickoff as well.

To the first poster who said Central can't settle for field goals in the red zone, just a word of caution. They don't need to be in the red zone to kick field goals. Their kicker has kicked numerous 45-50 yard field goals this year. Get used to starting on the 20 after every kickoff as well.
Then CW definitely has the kicking advantage. That’s impressive. Our kicker does fine but he doesn’t often boot it in the end zone and can’t make a field goal from 50 yards that I’ve witnessed but he hasn’t really had to opportunity to kick many field goals either. The thing field goals is you have to kick twice as many if the other team is consistently scoring a TD on their drives. Like CW, Graham can grind time off the clock & doesn’t mind to do it. This could be a very low scoring game.

No dog in this one but Central is a grind it out team. They don’t get impatient looking for a home run and generally stick to their bread and butter. IF Graham can consistently stop their power run game then they will struggle. The defense is better than some think and have stopped some decent run heavy teams. Clements is going to be a challenge especially with the Gmen having such good line play. Speed advantage is Grahams but line play should be moderately close. As for those saying they play ….. Unions power run game is the “style” I would most closely relate it to but it’s slightly different than that even.

As a region B fan I am hoping for the upset but I feel it’s going to be a pretty tall order to beat this Graham team. Good luck to both teams and safe travels on Saturday.
If Graham watches the Luray, Central first game that Luray won 41 - 25 they can learn a lot.

The winner of this game will have to win the turnover battle and control the clock. Both teams like to run the ball and play sound defense. I have to watch more of Graham before I make my pick

I will give the edge to Graham. What gave Central problems last year vs King William (and this year vs Luray the first time) was great line play and an explosive run game. Seems like the G-Men do not lack either. Graham should be able to make enough big plays to keep them ahead. Central's punt game is also relatively weak, especially compared to the rest of special teams which I think is very strong (Retrosi will kill you with kick returns and long FGs).

If Central can control the clock they certainly have a shot. They need to ensure that their long drives end in TDs instead of FGs however. FGs worked against Poqusoun but it won't work on Graham. If Central can do that, they will put their defense in a position where if they get enough stops they could pull it out.

As of now, I'll say Graham wins 35-24.

Reactions: one man
Not really. 2 surprise onside kicks led to 16 points for Luray.
Suuprise me once that's bad, but twice is not very smart on your part plus 400 yards of offense Luray put up didn't all come from 2 kickoffs, I no I was they're.

Graham's line has good size, they have kids in the 6'2" to 6'3" range across the line, most going around 230 to 250 lbs or so, so they are not huge, but they are athletic and strong and they live in the weight room. They do have a very talented sophomore that is about 6'0" 280 lbs. I think the Center goes around 5'10" 220 - I would guess. So, not bad size for a 2A line. I think the lineplay this year is what has set them apart from their opponents thus far.

Graham's line has good size, they have kids in the 6'2" to 6'3" range across the line, most going around 230 to 250 lbs or so, so they are not huge, but they are athletic and strong and they live in the weight room. They do have a very talented sophomore that is about 6'0" 280 lbs. I think the Center goes around 5'10" 220 - I would guess. So, not bad size for a 2A line. I think the lineplay this year is what has set them apart from their opponents thus far.
Sounds like line play could be the deciding factor which is awesome. Guys in the trenches never get enough praise or recognition.

I think this game will be won or lost on the LOS. Graham’s D line is better than any D line they’ve had in recent years in my opinion. They have lived in the weight room since last year’s post season. The coaches prepare them well for every game and they not only have physical toughness but mental toughness, not cocky but confident.

Reactions: oxley70
I watched Central in the past two weeks, versus Strasburg and Poquoson. They had a considerable size advantage in both games. They have a deep bench and a couple of playmakers on offense.

Strasburg and Poquoson both had success running the ball around the ends, even though they lost. I don't think Central can't defend those runs, I think they are just more committed to taking away the middle. Central uses fairly basic blocking schemes on offense and not a lot of misdirection. They just line up and run or pass. Poquoson did a great job defending against them early in the game, as I expected they would, but Central just ground them into the dirt as the game went on.

If Graham can control the line and get players in space on offense, I think this game might be lopsided. If they can't, this game will be close and go either way. Graham should be favored, but I wouldn't count Yew's boys out. Look for Central to force turnovers early. They did this to Strasburg and it worked.

Graham 28 Central 17

I have seen Central quite a few times this year and I went back and watched Grahams last 3 games and man oh man they are very physical up front. The speed they have is impressive as well. This game will be won at the LOS and in the turnover area.

If Grahams back can get a step on Centrals defenders I do not see anyone catching him from behind. Like was said above you can have success if you can get the edge. Grahams linebackers will have to fill the holes as Central lines up and comes right at you with Forbes who is a bruiser and Barahona the other back is the faster of the 2 but is not scared to lower the pads and deliver a hit. Central will use play action to try and get Walters or Boyce behind the defense in the passing game. Both Walters and Boyce are not afraid to go up and get the ball in traffic either.

If it comes down to the kicking game that advantage is clearly in Centrals Favor as Retrosi can hit from 50 if need be.

Yew and Hoover will have them ready in what should be a real physical Championship game but Graham is just as good in all those areas except they have been penalized more in the last couple of games. I have to go with the BIG game experience in this as Graham was here last year. They know what it takes.

Graham 28 Central 24

I would give the edge to Central in Special teams and the passing game. Maybe a slight edge to Graham in the run game. Defensively, I think Graham has a slight edge, overall. This looks to be one heck of a Championship game. Too close to call for me. I agree with BullRun66. Whoever can win the turnover battle and LOS has the best chance to win this game.

I would give the edge to Central in Special teams and the passing game. Maybe a slight edge to Graham in the run game. Defensively, I think Graham has a slight edge, overall. This looks to be one heck of a Championship game. Too close to call for me. I agree with BullRun66. Whoever can win the turnover battle and LOS has the best chance to win this game.
Our specials seem to have improved some but there are kickoffs where the opponent get the ball pretty far up the field which is a dangerous thing if CW has a kicker that boots 50 yd field goals. Graham’s D could hold them but they could very well get a field goal every trip down the field if special teams don’t stop them as soon as someone catches the ball. Our kicker is decent but he’s not hitting any 50 yarders or booting it into the end zone every kickoff. I think almost everyone here has stated it will come down to LOS & turn overs and I agree. I also think it’s important for Graham to limit penalties and come up with some big plays. Should be a heck of a game! Can’t wait until Saturday. #GoGMen

Last edited:
Our specials seem to have improved some but there are kickoffs where the opponent get the ball pretty far up the field which is a dangerous thing if CW has a kicker that boots 50 yd field goals. Graham’s D could hold them but they could very well get a field goal every trip down the field if special teams don’t stop them as soon as someone catches the ball. Our kicker is decent but he’s not hitting any 50 yarders or booting it into the end zone every kickoff. I think almost everyone here has stated it will come down to LOS & turn overs and I agree. I also think it’s important for Graham to limit penalties and come up with some big plays. Should be a heck of a game! Can’t wait until Saturday. #GoGMen
Central kicker made the school record 48 yarder but would have been good from 50-55 yards. It had plenty of room to spare. On kickoffs he is at about 95 percent touchbacks. I have seen 7 games this year and in those He had all but 2 be touchbacks.

All about the bigs up front. Whoever wins on the line will win it.
Hopefully Roberts, Dolan, & Hill bring it along with our other linemen! 🤞I think the game against Appomattox was Dolan’s best game of the year. That kid has a work ethic that would put a lot of adults to shame.

I think this game will come down to who can score the most points.

Central is the more balanced team on offense. I think if Graham can get to the QB early and rattle him Graham may take it pretty easily. If not and Central jumps up a couple scores it could get bad for Graham.

Ill say Central 23-20

If Graham has no answer for the passing game Central 38-27

If Central has no answer for the running game Graham 35-29

Went back and watched a few of Centrals games. Noticed Poquoson marched right down the field but on second down RB went to cut into a big hole and slipped down on his own in the backfield. Difference in wet grass compared to astro turf Graham played on Saturday and what they will be playing on this Saturday. Seen Central has a awesome kicker and will get some field goals. Still stick to my original statement and predict Graham 42 Central 9.

I don't like to ever pick against my Gmen. I'm going with Central to beat Graham in a tight game. Central is well balanced and loaded with seniors and it's hard to beat a team like that. Graham will have plenty of payback over next 6 years with talent to spare and get another title or 2 over the next 6 yrs, but I think Central gets us this year.

Went back and watched a few of Centrals games. Noticed Poquoson marched right down the field but on second down RB went to cut into a big hole and slipped down on his own in the backfield. Difference in wet grass compared to astro turf Graham played on Saturday and what they will be playing on this Saturday. Seen Central has an awesome kicker and will get some field goals. Still stick to my original statement and predict Graham 42 Central 9.
I hope you’re right 🤞. I think it will really be a tight game though. Hopefully a clean game with good sportsmanship like the one between Graham & Appo.

Everyone focuses on Clements but Graham went without him for two weeks and didn’t miss a beat. Graham has multiple options on offense although Clements is the crème de la crème. CW as someone noted has a very balanced offense. You know the saying, “Offense wins games, defense wins championships.” The team that can make the adjustments throughout the game, win at the line of scrimmage, limit big plays by the offense will win. Special teams & offense are important but I say this game will be determined by the battle of the defenses! I know zero about CW defense or defensive coaches but I do know Graham’s and I have confidence they’ll game plan well and the boys will know what’s expected of them and execute to the best of their abilities.

In the end, I can’t predict who wins but both teams should hold their heads high when the clock hits 00:00! There are tons of other teams that wish they could have been there but the Falcons & GMen are the ones who made it! Congratulations to both teams! These boys have memories to last a lifetime!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT