ADVERTISEMENT

Cville struggles

oldtimer448

VaPreps Rookie
Aug 31, 2009
its been really hard to watch this team this year. They can't get out of their own way. They move the ball then turn it over time and time again. Drop passes to poor tackling its disappointing. Tonight against lake Braddock they had 4 turnovers. They also had the ball twice inside the five and came up empty. Inside the 20 four times and scored once. Gave up two long runs. They have played 3 top ten teams. Broad Run, Tusky, and LB. LB is not as good as I thought. Cville needs to go 4 and 1 to end up with a winning record. Haddock and crew have their hands full. Good luck!!

Is it really that surprising though that they are down this year and playing the way they are? With the number of starters and all stars they lost from last year, I think it was to be expected that Cville would struggle especially with the schedule that they have.

Don't think Lake Braddock is as good as advertised though?

Reactions: babY_d757
Is it really that surprising though that they are down this year and playing the way they are? With the number of starters and all stars they lost from last year, I think it was to be expected that Cville would struggle especially with the schedule that they have.

Yes I expected them to be down after losing that talent. But I expected them to be competitive. If they keep those turnovers in check they would be. Very surprised on the skill level. They can't tackle!! Have no speed. Lake Braddock is good and a better team than Cville. Cville moved the ball on them.

Yes I expected them to be down after losing that talent. But I expected them to be competitive. If they keep those turnovers in check they would be. Very surprised on the skill level. They can't tackle!! Have no speed. Lake Braddock is good and a better team than Cville. Cville moved the ball on them.

I agree with oldtimer448. I thought Centreville had a good number of returning players who could have provided strong leadership but this isn't happening. The team is making too many mistakes (turnovers, drive-killing penalties, dropped passes, bad tackling, missed assignments, etc.). Granted that Centreville played three strong opponents (Broad Run, Tuscarora, and Lake Braddock) in the last three games, the number of points the Centreville defense has given up just blows my mind. The defense has been giving up too many big plays. In summary, the defense needs to step up if Centreville is to be competitive.

This may sound silly based on the score. Offensive line was dominating, I heard they ran somewhere near 75+ offensive plays. Only punted twice. But, a pick six, two fumble killing drives, another pick kills them. On top of that jumping offside on 4 and 1 from the 1. Score there and it's 13 to 7 at half. Excuses, excuses.

Heres the thing, mental mistakes don't speak to athletic ability, as much as preparation. Not being sure of your assignment leads to stupid penalties. Taking care of the football can be taught. Do penalty drills help? Maybe a little. Fundamentals and understanding assignments help more. some of this is coaching and can be fixed.

More coaching and lack of speed issues on defense in general Have to note improvement though several 3 and outs in the first half. Still too many big plays being given up.

LB is good, but not great team.

Brett Clark at Left Tackle is a stud. Kyle Richborg is pure athlete and great kid. I could build a complete team around them!

You should coach airbone. You might be better than the guy who has won a state championship and got his team to a runner up finish last year. BTW the center is the best OL C-Ville has. Nobody wants to play the Wildcats despite what the record says.

WHY THE CENTER IS THE BEST OL.....all the rest are newbies....one sophomore, Lee, Clark, Simmons played defense last year...Clark played TE as well I think(transfer from private school- was always a Cville kid thou). The TE played mop-up duty last year and cant catch a ball. As SCGame said, mental mistakes and turnovers kill this team. They have the talent to be in the mix.

What an ugly performance by Cville and their coaching staff....again. It's like a broken record. 3-7 will be their record. Shame on the coaches for not getting these players ready. The system doesn't work anymore. Better start preparing for next season.

Open things up. Everybody knows we are a run-based team. Run more play action on first down. Not on third and seven. Quit rolling to the left and have a quarterback against his body all the time. At the beginning of the season and in the scrimmages we were throwing short passes to the slots. We have gotten away from that. We have a better quarterback than last year so use him. on short yardage quit trying to run number four of the middle. It doesn't work. On defense, we need to play with a safety all the time. We are giving up too many yards are right up the middle. If he breaks the linebackers the running back is gone. Have the cornerbacks that now are repeatedly getting beat play 7 yards off the receiver. Not in their face. They are not involved in the play as much when they are lining up trying to jam the receiver . Since our defense of line is not shedding blocks as much as in past I would send linebackers more often. Just my opinion.

The real problem is execution! The team does not always work prepared
So, on offense you think play choice is the issue. Don't completely disagree, especially with play action. Would rather see play action pass on 3rd and 1 and challenge deep. But truly rather run and get the first.

Forgot the counter, finally ran it late for a score. Offense is the most functional unit on the team in actuality. Getting stopped down inside the 10 was a problem, maybe a better play call. Hind site 20/20. Holding penalty brought back long run. That was a big penalty, probably cost a score.

On defense, it all starts with the defensive line. It is fundamentally poor. They stand up and just get blocked. They don't make a play unless they are unblocked. Saw players driven back 10-15 yards. They just look like they are undersized and under coached. LB's are going to struggle when the dline doesn't keep blockers off of them. Injuries at LB may have limited their effectiveness. Its a an aggressive defense and when you attack you need to make the play or there is not much left to stop it if you don't. If your dline is getting consistently destroyed it is a dangerous defense approach. But, seriously, what scheme can you run when the delone stands straight up and gets blocked. dbacks showed improvement over a few weeks back, actually the whole defense did better in second half, as pathetic as that sounds.

Turnover bug solved for a week and credit to Oakton, way more physical then Lake Braddock or Tuscarora

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT