ADVERTISEMENT

D2 Playoffs

Aug 21, 2014
Half way through the season and anticipating first rankings. A couple of questions...

Who makes D2 playoffs from the beach? Shores? IOW? Norfolk Christian? Don't see many more losses for any of these teams over the next six weeks

Does Blue Ridge with possible three loss season get booted from D2 playoffs because beach schools have better records despite not playing Flint Hill and Trinity?

With yesterday's win, North Cross is hands down favorite to win D2 and is a lock for playoffs. Shores only game remaining that they will be tested is against Norfolk Academy. Worst case for Shores is 9-1, but could be undefeated. Shores is a lock to get into playoffs. Isle of Wight has a tough matchup this week with undefeated Fuqua, but after they will be overwhelming favorites in their remaining 4 games, worst case for IWA is 7 - 2. If IWA wins this week, they should finish 8-1 and be a lock to get in. Norfolk Christian already has 2 losses and will be tested if Portsmouth Christian is full strength when they play. Portsmouth lost to Richmond 18 - 2 and Norfolk lost to Richmond 34 - 0. In my opinion, best teams in D2 are NC, Blue Ridge, Shores and IWA, in that order. If Blue Ridge drops 3 games, it will be tough to get in in D2 with many schools having the possibility of only having 2 losses. (IWA, Norfolk Christian , Christchurch, RMA)

Completely forgot about RMA. Their schedule looks very doable. Time to go through our annual explantation of how to earn points toward rankings. Blue Ridge has two D1 games against Flint Hill and Trinity plus loss to North Cross who has 9-10 potential wins. Can that outweigh a two loss team with no D1 games and a number of D3 wins? From watching Blue Ridge, they are definitely among the two best teams in D2 right now.

Loss to NC will get Blue Ridge nothing even if NC goes undefeated. Blue Ridge can get bonus points from losing to D1 schools if they the school they lost to gets to 7 wins. 1 pt for 7, 2 pts for 8, 3 fo 9, 4 for 10. With only 3 divisions, it really doesn't benefit you to play top level D1 teams. Suck for them if they miss out, but they know how the system works

Don't forget about STAB and possibly FCS as the season plays out. I don't see NCHS getting in. IOW maybe. Shores and NC are probably locks.

FCS is much improved, but already has 4 losses, they will not get in. STAB has 2 losses already and still must play North Cross, Blue Ridge and Norfolk Academy. They are highly unlikely to have less than 4 losses. That will not get you in this year. 15 teams in d2 and only 4 playoff spots is tough

I believe it's a good thing that making the playoffs be a challenge as opposed to half of the eligible division teams making it. However, should IOW, Christchurch, or even Norfolk Christian make the playoffs with MUCH easier schedules than STAB, Blue Ridge, FCS, etc., I wonder if we'll see a scheduling model change for the central Virginia D2 schools in the future?

I was with you until your Central Virginia bias came out. You lost me when you said that North Cross, Blue Ridge, STAB, and FCS had MUCH easier schedule than the other schools down in the 757. I will give you Blue Cross playing 2 D1 schools, but that is it

Last edited:
North Cross has an admittedly easier schedule than recent years. No multiple trips to the beach thanks to Roanoke Catholic agreeing to play home and home. First time in three years playing three Lower division teams but they include Catholic and Fuqua, probably two best in D3, and BSH, traditionally a pretty good football program. Also HRA is down, VES is down, so two D2 games not very competitive. Still think it harder than IOW etc.

Interesting in that schedules do not change as fast as the new Divisions. Previous D2 schools like STAB and Blue Ridge are still playing a few D1 schools and a D4 school like IOW is now playing D2 but still has a bunch of small schools on their schedule. It will take a while to shake out. Blue Ridge playing IOW schedule would be undefeated and untested. They can still play their way in by beating Trinity end of season. At Trinity...

d4 - No central VA bias, I'm a Tidewater guy. I was trying to ask whether or not scheduling might change IF teams with admittedly easier schedules (IOW, Christchurch, and Norfolk Christian from my example above) *made* the playoffs while teams that played a tougher schedule (STAB, Blue Ridge and FCS from my example above) where wins are harder to come by do not. Agree with Chief that Blue Ridge (or even STAB) playing a Norfolk Christian or IOW schedule would be unbeaten and untested.

Last edited:
Blue Ridge and North Cross probably could go unbeaten with IWA, Norfolk Christian, or Shores schedule, I agree with you there. STAB, this year no way. I bet the better teams in 757, like Shores, Norfolk Academy, IWA could play Blue Ridge Schedule and go 6-3, probably like Blue Ridge will end up. And if they played North Cross schedule, they would probably only lose to Blue Ridge and be 9-1.

Is STAB really that down this year? I know the RMA game was a surprise but they usually get better as the year progresses. Still always worried about them.

May be right about those beach teams going 9-1 with the North Cross schedule. Again, first time in a while North Cross can't make the stronger schedule argument. Always amazing how there are cycles and it it just happens, VES, STAB and NSA not their usual strength. Should make for an interesting playoffs if some of these teams make it.

Shores and North Cross scrimmaged this year. I'd be interested in knowing what Shores thought of that scrimmage.

Reactions: Coach Lance
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT