ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Nugget Eagles Wide Receiver Grabs First Offer

bigrob2523

VaPreps Varsity
Staff
Jun 13, 2013
When Liberty-Bealeton Class of 2017 wide receiver Kris Leach woke up on Easter Sunday, he got a bit more than he was expecting. Leach learned that he was being offered a scholarship to play college football at Old Dominion University.

The Eagles receiver said he has been receiving "love" from a lot of the coaching staff but he didn't exactly expect the offer to come when it did. He visited the university where the Monarchs play last year for junior day and was on hand when the team hosted Florida Atlantic last fall.

Leach said he is grateful for the offer and enjoyed his time on campus when he was there. He said that the fact that they are an up-and-coming program as well as the continued building on site are attractive.

Leach recently visited Marshall University and says he has been receiving attention from a number of schools including, Liberty, Duke, Virginia, and Virginia Tech among others. the 6-foot-5, 218 pounder has been versatile for the Eagles while playing primarily at wide receiver.

"Most of the schools that I have been hearing from want me to gain weight but they want me to maintain my speed," he said. "It's looking like I will play tight end in college so with my size, that is why those factors are so important."

Last fall, Leach earned All-Conference 22 honors while hauling in 26 receptions for a phenomenal 542 yards and four touchdowns. The rising senior has good hands, is good in space and is also not afraid to throw a block.

Before his college playing days begin, he hopes to help his team venture deep into the postseason after an earlier than hoped exit last fall. Leach said that he wants to be a leader on the field and off for his squad.

He also has a few individual traits he plans to work on.

"I don't mind blocking. I like being aggressive but since I am going to be playing tight end, I want to get better at my route running as well," he said. "I want to make sure I am running crisp and precise routes and I want to learn more technique coming out of the three point stance since I will be doing much more of that at the tight end spot."

Leach will be competing in a 7-on-7 this weekend and plans to attend the Rivals Camp in Charlotte in a couple of weeks. He also has plans to attend several camps and junior days this offseason.

Robert Edmonds is in his third year as part of the Virginia Preps staff. He provides insight on player profiles and recruiting news for players from around the state as well as in-season game and team reports. He has been contributing sports coverage in the newspaper industry since 2006. Follow him on twitter @bigrob2523 and send feedback and suggestions to him directly at bigrob2523@gmail.com.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News